• Page:

TOPIC:

July 13th 11 years 9 months ago #4488

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
1902 - The Adelaide Advertiser. Intelligence has been received of a disturbance which occurred at the Diyatalawa concentration camp on July 13. It is reported that some of the Boers who were detained there as prisoners of war, would not believe that the Treaty of Peace had been signed. When they were asked to take the oath of allegiance to the King they created a disturbance during which they came into collision with the camp guard, composed of a detachment from the Gloucestershire Regiment. Twenty of the Boers, and also some of the British soldiers, were injured during the conflict.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

July 13th 2 years 9 months ago #77334

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2304
1900 - Thomas Eastham Dugdale, of the St. John Ambulance Brigade, wrote a letter on this date.

General Hospital,
Howick,
July 13th, 1900.
........To the Editor of "The Clitheroe Times."
....Dear sir, - You will no doubt be wondering where I am. Well, we have at last got away from Ladysmith. We left Tin Camp about 7.0 a.m. on Tuesday, and Ladysmith about 8.30 a.m. and arrived here at 5.0 p.m. On Saturday last about eight of the released prisoners who were captured by De Wet, about 30 miles outside Kroonstadt, landed into Tin Camp, and on Sunday night the remainder arrived, making a total of about 800. They consisted chiefly of Derbyshires, Militia, and a few Yeomanry and Railway Pioneers, and they had a weary tale to tell as they had marched nearly 400 miles in 30 days so you can think for yourselves how they would be. They had been fed very poorly, having had eleven biscuits only since they were captured. They had had plenty of mutton and beef, however. One man said that the Boers were awfully short of food and that their men had cost them about 500 sheep and 60 bullocks. But I shall be able to give you a full account when I get home. Myself and Ben King were very sorry to hear of the death of one of our comrades, and we hope and trust that he may be the only one who cannot return home to Clitheroe. I cannot say much about this place as we have not been out of the camp yet. The country all round is very hilly and there are plenty of trees. We are only about one and a half miles away from Howick, but we are not allowed to go out of camp. The same night as we landed here we had just got in bed when we were called out to put out a grass fire which was raging near the hospital. We have to go almost half a mile to the river to wash as the wash-houses are not ready. I must now conclude, with best wishes to all.
Yours faithfully,..................
Pte. T. E. Dugdale.......
The Clitheroe Times, Friday 17th August 1900
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.345 seconds