Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lt. Col. Sam Steele - Report to Lord Strathcona - June 26th, 1900 11 years 10 months ago #4083

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1879
Standerton
Transvaal,

June 26th, 1900.

The Right Honourable Lord Strathcona and Mount Royal
High Commissioner for Canada
17, Victoria Street, London

Dear Lord Strathcona,

I reported on my return to Durban from Kossi Bay.

We disembarked on the 7th and the following day entrained for Lower Tugela and joined "A" and "C" Squadrons there on the 10th. The next day under orders from Lord Roberts the whole Regiment marched for Eshowe reaching there early in the afternoon of the second day. I immediately commenced to re-arrange my transport to suit the rough country after leaving the waggon trails, and while doing so received orders on the 12th to return to Durban, the transport train from the Tugela and the Regiment by road took three days march. I started early on the morning of the 13th, and reached Durban on the evening of the 15th. There I found orders to entrain the next day for Newcastle which place we reached on Sunday evening. On Tuesday morning we marched for Zand Spruit to join Lord Dundonald's 3rd Mounted Brigade - General Buller's advance. We joined him on Wednesday, the 20th. The next day the column made a short march, remaining at Paardekop over night, leaving for Standerton on Friday.

So far the Regiment has not fired a single shot but from the look of things it will not be long before we have an action.

General Wolfe-Murray at Newcastle and General Buller on the march from Zand Spruit expressed themselves well pleased by the looks of the Regiment, noticing particularly the physique of the men and the splendid appearance of the Canadian Horses. The horses have stood the long marches and indifferent fodder remarkably well.

General Cleary's Corps is here, and under orders from him the Regiment is out on patrol to-day, some 15 miles to the South called Katspruit, where the enemy was reported to be at 11 o'clock last night.

I have the honor to be,

Sir,
Your obedient servant

(Signed) S. B. STEELE, Lt. Col.
Commanding "Strathcona's Horse"
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.300 seconds