Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lt. Col. Sam Steele - Report to Lord Strathcona - June 7th, 1900 11 years 10 months ago #3699

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1879
S T R A T H C O N A ' S H O R S E

TUGELA, Zululand

7th, June 1900.

Dear Lord Strathcona,

We could not land at Kosi Bay and came to Durban, disembarked with celerity and after some delay owing to Sir. R. Buller wanting to have us and Lord Roberts preferring that we should make an attempt to carry out the original scheme which is now one requiring great endurance, caution and dash or it cannot succeed. Lord Roberts thinks it very difficult, and we will have to prove that we deserve his confidence. The transport in this country is the great trouble; everything is run by negroes and basutos are the drivers, and are a great nuisance. The numbers of animals used in the wagons far too many; ten mules required to haul the load of a Canadian four horse team and very much slower. The oxen, wretched inbred brutes, I must leave them behind and push on as best I can and trust to getting them again.

We are all sorry that we have not been employed but the jealousy of civilians shewn by some of the military kept the affairs have kept the regt. in abeyance. until it will be ten times more difficult and dangerous than ever.

I have good guides who are well known loyal Englishmen, so I fear nothing on that score.

You will excuse this scrawl as have no table.

Respectfully yours,

(Signed) S. B. STEELE.
[/size]
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Lt. Col. Sam Steele - Report to Lord Strathcona - June 7th, 1900 11 years 10 months ago #3734

• dwatson
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for sharing these letters!

Anybody who's interested in Sam Steele's career (both in South Africa and the rest of it) might be interested in checking out this exhibit in Edmonton if they're able. It runs now until the end of September.

steele.library.ualberta.ca/exhibit

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.408 seconds