• Page:

TOPIC:

May 3rd 11 years 11 months ago #2974

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
1900 - Mafeking siege day 203 (93%). Lord Roberts occupies Brandfort. Siege guns landed at Cape Town.
1902 - Relief of Ookiep.
1909 - Opening of Second National Convention at Bloemfontein.

In Mafeking:

Firing yesterday and today was not of any value; they kept it up off and on all day. I sat on the roof with the officers of the Bechuanaland Rifles, and looked on till we got bored. The operation of getting on to and off the roof again was far more dangerous than the ordinary Boer battle. This evening I rode round the guards with Major Panzera. It would take a more enterprising Boer than we have run up against to get in. Major Panzera has a theory that he can't be hit; I haven't, however. Both our theories are good enough viewed from the light of experience.

The Germans participating in the defence of the town are going to be photographed. I feel sorry for the German Emperor not being here. He would enjoy this war thoroughly.

I heard from Weston-Jarvis this morning. He wrote a very cheery letter. At last they appear to be making some effort to relieve us. Why on earth they didn't try before, Heaven only knows ! It seems a perfectly simple operation for any man of any ordinary sense, but really it doesn't much matter in the long run whether it is a month or two sooner or later. I also see the " Baron" is coming down to relieve us. I hope lie won't fall on his head and get stretched out as he usually persists in doing. We are always meeting each other in some old ship or other, or in some out of the way continent, but certainly I never expected to be relieved by the "Baron" in the middle of Africa; however, the more pals that roll up the better.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: May 3rd 11 years 11 months ago #2976

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
David

Do you know the identity of the "Baron"?

Brett

Re: May 3rd 11 years 11 months ago #2984

• DM123
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
my two cents worth, was it not perhaps Ist Baron Baden Powell??

Re: May 3rd 11 years 11 months ago #2988

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
Brett,

I thought the Baron might be BP but Baillie talks about him being part of the relief force. Other than these two mentions, Baillie does not mention him again.

I have a list of 137 officers in the defence and relief but there is no Baron listed there so I'm not sure to whom he refers.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.357 seconds