Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lt. Col. Sam Steele - Report to Lord Strathcona - April 25th 1900 12 years 9 hours ago #2882

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1879
GREEN POINT CAMP

April 25th, 1900

Dear Lord Strathcona,

As I informed you last week I commenced the mounted drills, but owing to the condition of the horses and the fact that our parade ground is so close to the remounting station of this base, the Chief Staff Officer thought it best to discontinue them for the present. The drills have therefore been on foot this week, four hours per day being devoted to them. The time is divided between physical drill, manual and firing exercise, extended and squadron drills, as well as skirmishing.

On thursday last I received a request from General Hutton for scouts to be sent from this Regiment, and the following day the Chief Staff Officer enquired if we had any professional scouts in the ranks. I replied to the effect that there were no professional scouts in the Regiment, but that the majority of the men had spent years of their lives on the plains and were capable of taking care of themselves anywhere; For my own information I asked for volunteers. When the men understood the question none of them volunteered. At first it was supposed that it was simply a number of special scouts that were going out to the front and that they would still belong to the regiment, but upon hearing that they would be transferred they refused to leave. This is a very good spirit and I am very glad that it turned out so.

There are 100 horses yet to be tested for glanders. So far ten cases have reacted to the test and were destroyed. By tomorrow night the testing will be completed and the remounts will be brought in without delay.

There is a considerable amount of sickness amongst the men, this morning's sick report showing 63 cases all told. Of course many of these are minor complaints and will not prevent them from going to the front. The change of water, and, in spite of strict warnings, the liberal use of fruit has caused many to go off duty with small complaints. As a matter of fact the majority are quite fit to go on.

In a conversation with the Base Commandant the day before yesterday he informed me that he was quite convinced that the other Canadian Mounted Regiments were sent up country much too soon, and I believe that such is the case as their horses are suffering very much. Ours are improving every day and are looking very well indeed.

The men's active service kits have been picked out, and they have been instructed as to how to fit them on the horse. Ammunition has been issued and as soon as the test for glanders is completed we will be ready to move. I am informed that a gentleman from Alberta stated in Liverpool to an agent of one of the officers here that the "Monterey" had glanders on board a short time before we embarked, and that he himself had lost several horses from this cause. I would suggest that an enquiry be made as if there was glanders on board this ship, there is no doubt that our horses caught it there.

The wagons provided in Canada for military purposes do not suit very well here. The other Canadian Regiments have handed theirs over to the Army Service Corps. It is my opinion that the military men should study the methods of civilians in the carriage and transport of large quantities of supplies -- such as the C.P.R. construction, etc. [- they would not be quite so quiet so far behind the age]. There is no doubt in my mind that the whole of the English carriages are too heavy. [and that the Canadian Militia Department is too eager to imitate them in this respect. The wagons supplied to us are at least 800-lbs. each too heavy. Ours were made in Woodstock and I sent an Officer down to inspect them, but he made no report, and before we arrived at Halifax they were packed away in the hold of the ship out of reach altogether. However they will be used here and we are being provided with substitutes.

I am,
Yours respectfully,

(Signed) S. B. STEELE, Lt. Col.
Commanding "Strathcona's Horse.

//

Note: The report on the "Monterey" found not to be true. Notation in margin in Steele's own hand.
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.311 seconds