Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

17th May, 1900 6 years 11 months ago #53694

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
This has been a very educational thread with some fantastic medals..... Thank You all who have shared their knowledge.....

One of the medals that I have when I ordered his documents from the UK they sent the transcript of a FCM where he was the defendant..... I always understood that this type of document was sealed..... Forever.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17th May, 1900 6 years 11 months ago #53695

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451

LinneyI wrote: Henk
Yes, I was aware of that reference; taken from Hickman's "Rhodesia Served The Queen". Clearly, SAFF was mistaken in the date.
Best regards
IL.

I checked The Times, my reliable source, and frustratingly for Forbes he is listed amongst casualties "in connexion with the relief of Mafeking" with no specific dates (published May 28).

Looking at the casualties for the Relief force on the 12th and 16th - Forbes appears to be the only casualty for the 12th, there were many on the 16th especially for the Rhodesia Rgt. Not conclusive proof but supports Hickman and others who state the 16th.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

17th May, 1900 6 years 11 months ago #53704

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Brett,
Another very fine medal and clasps to a recipient in the Imperial Light Horse, I can see it clearly verified on their roll, but, what do you know about him, there are no SAMIF Officers papers here, it was a bloody hard ride from Barkly West all that way north.
Regards Frank

Brett Hendey wrote: IL & Rory
Thank you for showing two splendid groups. Although I have always admired the medals of men who came to Mafeking from the north, my only RoM medals are to men of the Imperial Light Horse, who came from the south. Shown below is the only ILH Officer's QSA in my collection.
Regards
Brett

17th May, 1900 6 years 11 months ago #53706

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Frank

Douglas Gilfillan is by far the most distinguished man represented in my medal,collection. He came to me with 13 pages of biographical information compiled by the medal's previous owners. There is too much in that account to be posted here, and it may in any case be inappropriate to reproduce here a report made by other people.

Briefly though ..............
Gilfillan was born in 1865 and raised in Cradock, Cape Colony. He followed his father into the legal profession, and, after spells in both Cape Town and Cradock, he moved to Johannesburg, where he became prominent in both legal and social circles. He spent much of his free time in the outdoors, and he was an excellent horseman and marksman. Although a hunter, he was also a dedicated conservationist, later being instrumental in the founding of the Wildlife Society of South Africa,

Gilfillan was one of the political activists in the Rand Club in the 1890's who united to create the Reform Committee. After the abortive Jameson Raid, he and his fellow activists were arrested and imprisoned. They were sentenced to death, but later reprieved and heavily fined instead. The turmoil that followed the Raid worsened and, by 1899, war between Britain and the Boer Republics became inevitable. Gilfillan and other members of the Reform Committee moved to Natal, and, in September they raised a regiment of fellow 'Uitlanders', the Imperial Light Horse. Gilfillan's role in the ILH is well documented in Gibson's history of the regiment, a book that Gilfillan was instrumental in publishing.

Gilfillan was appointed a Lieutenant in "A" Squadron, which spent the early months of the war active in the Relief of Ladysmith operations. Men of "A" Squadron were amongst other Colonials who rode into Ladysmith on 28/2/1900 to end the 118 day siege. After the Ladysmith siege was lifted, the ILH was selected by Lord Roberts to lead the mounted element of the southern force sent to relieve the Siege of Mafeking. Gilfillan was promoted to Captain and he took command of "F" Squadron. Men of the ILH would later claim to be amongst the first in to Mafeking on 17/3/1900.

The ILH then moved to the Transvaal, and, after Johannesburg was captured, Gilfillan's military career came to an end, He was ordered to resume his legal career, where his services were required to deal with the many problems that beset the newly liberated civilian population.

After the war ended, Douglas Gilfillan's career reached new heights in what was to become the Union of South Africa. He was a founder member of the Bowman-Gilfillan legal practice, which still exists. His son Noel had joined the firm, and, when he left to go on active service during World War II, Douglas returned with his old partner, Richard Bowman, to run the firm for the duration of the war. Douglas was 80 when the war ended in 1945. He died in 1948, a much respected and much loved man.

Brett
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory, Frank Kelley

17th May, 1900 6 years 11 months ago #53707

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Evening Brett,
Well, all I can say is simply that you have a truly superb medal to a fascinating recipient, many thanks for telling his story here.
Regards Frank

17th May, 1900 6 years 11 months ago #53719

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi

A QSA to another man who came from the south and almost made it to Mafeking.....
According to "In Memoriam" he was "sent in dead" and buried in Mafikeng
Henk
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory, Hudson

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.575 seconds