Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

17th May, 1900 6 years 11 months ago #53688

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Meurig
Thank you for showing a great group. The QSA is remarkable and I can imagine how pleased you were to acquire it! I wonder how and why Harris sinned? The sentences suggest serious crimes.
Regards
Brett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17th May, 1900 6 years 11 months ago #53689

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451

Brett Hendey wrote: Meurig
Thank you for showing a great group. The QSA is remarkable and I can imagine how pleased you were to acquire it! I wonder how and why Harris sinned? The sentences suggest serious crimes.
Regards
Brett

Good morning Brett

He certainly had an interesting career, as ever the detail of his crimes and misdemeanors are lost to history.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

17th May, 1900 6 years 11 months ago #53690

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Meurig,
What a superb group, I really do not think you could ever see a more interesting Relief of Mafeking medal to a member of the British Army, made even nicer because of the Relief of Ladysmith Clasp, I was interested to see, not one, but two entries in WO100/304 and I also note that, rather forebodingly, his character on being discharged, was "witheld pending arrival of defaulters sheet from S Africa"
At least he actually got to wear his QSA, had he lived into old age, I can only wonder at the stories he might have been able to tell, the Great War put paid to that, very sad.
A lovely group.
Regards Frank

SWB wrote: Super groups!

Here is a representative of the British Army: Henry Harry Harris, Pte 2981 13th Hussars and Cpl SS-6864 ASC.

Henry, from Maldon in Essex, enlisted in 1890, transferred to the Reserve in 1895 and was recalled for the war in 1899. The 13th Hussars served in the Relief of Ladysmith campaign. When the force from Natal was put together for the Relief of Mafeking Henry was attached to that portion of the Imperial Light Horse sent to Mafeking; thus he earned a double relief combination, unique to the 13th Hussars. Only one other Relief of Mafeking was awarded to the 13th Hussars and that was to Cpt K MacLaren.

Following the Relief of Mafeking Henry remained in the west and earned the clasp for Johannesburg, again a rare clasp for the 13th Hussars just three being awarded. Henry's QSA clasp combination is unique to the 13th Hussars.

In February 1901 Henry went off the rails being sentenced to six months hard labour, in September he transgressed again and received another six months with a £1.00 fine. The sentence was reduced to three months and Henry was sent home to the UK for discharge.

On the outbreak of the First World War Henry enlisted and was sent to the Army Service Corps. In March 1915 he arrived on the Western Front, seven months later Henry died in Boulogne where he is buried.

The following user(s) said Thank You: SWB

17th May, 1900 6 years 11 months ago #53691

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi IL
Robert S Burrett in his book "Plumer's Men" also confirms Forbes as being wounded on 16 May 1900
Henk

17th May, 1900 6 years 11 months ago #53692

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Rory,
Well, I saw it in your photograph and just wondered, as it was of the particular pattern worn back then, a nice thing to have, I dare say if it could talk, it would have a few interesting tales to tell.
It was certainly a generous act to give away his spurs.
Regards Frank

Rory wrote: It did indeed Frank - I had his spurs as well but, in a fit of generosity (some say unusual for me) I gave them to a chap who collects ephemera to the BSAP.

Regards

Rory

17th May, 1900 6 years 11 months ago #53693

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1537
Henk
Yes, I was aware of that reference; taken from Hickman's "Rhodesia Served The Queen". Clearly, SAFF was mistaken in the date.
Best regards
IL.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.763 seconds