TOPIC:

March 27th 12 years 4 weeks ago #2596

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4515
1900 - Mafeking siege day 166 (76%). Death of General Joubert. Louis Botha to succeed him. Clements occupies Fauresmith.

In Mafeking:

The Boers commenced early and continued a heavy shell fire all day, pouring more shells into the town than they had any two days of the siege. It was very curious, but the news received the night before caused the population to show more absolute disregard for the shell fire than they had done on many days when the bombardment was comparatively light. The Premier's message to the two Presidents was published this evening, and now even the most pessimistic admit it is possible that there may be a satisfactory solution of the war. We hope we maybe able to slightly assist in a less passive manner than heretofore.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

March 27th 2 years 4 weeks ago #82376

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4515
1900 - Diary of the siege of Mafeking by Edward Ross

Tuesday, 27 March

The enemy opened shellfire on the town at 6.15 a.m. from three different positions: 94-pounder, 12-pounder, quick-firing Krupp, and 1 -pound Maxim from their eastern fort; 9-pounder, quick-firing Krupp from Jackal’s Tree, south; 9-pounder, quick-firing Krupp and 5-pounder from the direction of Game Tree, north, and have given us the hottest day’s bombardment we have yet undergone. Must endeavour to get totals this evening.

Sorry to say we suffered the following casualties: Abrams, C. P., part of foot blown off, one of the P.R. seriously wounded by piece of shell, one woman in railway camp ditto, and three natives, one of the latter died almost immediately afterwards. We have all had to lay low pretty well all day, the shells large and small flying about in all directions.

Our poor old shop getting another one in the corner of the front knocking a big lump out, but doing more damage to the house of Mr. Wright next door, pieces of the shell going slap bang through the house and damaging a lot of good furniture. A two-horse spider left with us for sale was absolutely ruined, all the body, etc., literally smashed up.

Dixon's also had another, this time into their back bedrooms.

The numbers of the enemy’s waggons, etc., have been increasing very much of late, and today they are more noticeable than ever, their main laager being almost doubled during the last day or two. It is considered that all the Boers retreating before Plumer and our southern relief column are massing here. What a grand final [r/V] for Mafeking it would be if Plumer and the men from the south could come round on the rear of the Boers and cutoff their retreat to the Transvaal.

Snyman today added three more to his list of "14 attacks” on Mafeking, and the following is what occurred. About 200 mounted Boers were seen to advance from the north-west, and when within about 4 000 yards, they extended in open order, and came on very slowly. When they were considered within range our cossack outposts opened fire. The Boers halted, retreated about a few hundred yards, waited for about an hour, and then retired. On the north-east front about 100 of the enemy came on in exactly the same manner, but were turned [back] by three of our men who were laying out in a sniping trench. In about the same time they also retired, but having come a little closer than on the other front they lost two men. The Colonel, who was looking out on his roof, saw them fall. On our south front the enemy also showed up about 150 strong, but this lot never came within range, and they retired without a single shot being fired. The whole affair I suppose was a demonstration for our edification. What a grand little chapter could be written by some clever humorous writer on “How the Boers stormed Mafeking, under shot and shell.”

I am sorry to say that poor old Wolf blew out her breech early this morning. She was firing from the brickfields and had managed to put one shell right into the enemy's laager. The following conversation took place:

B.P. (on the telephone) to Panzera at the brickfields: “Can the Wolf reach their big gun?”

Panzera: “I think so, by putting in an extra charge of powder, but I am afraid the breech will not stand it.”

B.P: “Try.”

Later. Panzera: “Have reached the gun and burst...”

B.P: "Damn.”

The gun had to be left there until darkness set in and then brought in. Took a photo; also took photo of Elliman’s and Eno’s.

Made a batch of £1 notes today, turned out a fair success. Was on pins and needles all day for fear a piece of shell should break my negatives whilst printing in the sun.

Staff runner went out this morning; I have sent wires [to] Babs, Home and Ellen.

The enemy have given us a surfeit of shells today, beating the record by nearly double. They sent us in no less than:

78 large 94-pounders

32 large 12-pounders

Jackal’s Tree 24 large 9-pounders

Game Tree 28 large 9-pounders and about

40 to 50 large 5-pounders

Added to this their 1-pound Maxim, their Mannlicher machine-gun, and innumerable rifles and conceive if possible the smashing, crashing, bashing sound that was going on all round us, from 6.15 in the morning until 6 in the evening and then don’t be surprised if we tell you that we shall not go looking for any more besieged towns, if we once get out of this. Oh, no thanks! I have not lost any French or German-made shells. If there are any more sieges, I’m going out the back way.

Tuesday, 27 March (a second entry)

The horse guards from Cannon Kopje had a very narrow escape today. The enemy, running out a 5 or 7-pounder, blazed away at them for all they were worth, killing a native, wounding one of the B.S.A.P. and ripping up one of the horses. The other men on guard had very narrow escapes, shell dropping and bursting all round them.

The enemy today have been firing a new 12 or 16-pound shell with a steel-penetrating point. It is said they are specially made for piercing armour, so what price our bomb-proofs? Luckily, not one has yet had to stand the test. It is not a very comfortable feeling to sit in one’s dugout with these dropping all round, after one has been told they have twice the penetrating power of Big Ben.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.406 seconds