• Page:

TOPIC:

March 26th 12 years 1 month ago #2593

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
1900 - Mafeking siege day 165 (76%). Pilcher enters Ladybrand. French returns to Bloemfontein.
1901 - Last stage of French's drive in S.E. Transvaal. Plumer starts from Pretoria on his march to Pietersburg.
1902 - Death of Mr. Cecil Rhodes.

In Mafeking:

Monday. Exceptionally quiet to-day. Late at night I was in Mr. Weil's dug-out when he received the news of the English troops' arrival at Vryburg. Mafeking accordingly jubilant [This eventually turned out to be untrue].
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

March 26th 2 years 1 month ago #82349

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
1900 - Diary of the siege of Mafeking by Edward Ross

Monday, 26 March

After three or four days’ quietness Big Ben has again spoken, but not at the town. His fire was drawn by our 7-pounder and Wolf snarling and biting a bit from the extreme eastern outpost beyond the brickfields. From that position we are now just within range of the enemy’s laager and big gun, so at daylight this morning we opened on them and Big Ben very kindly replied, but the enemy’s firing and aim was very erratic. Not one of their big shells dropping within 500 yards of our miniature fort. The enemy also turned their 5-pounder on to the same position, making somewhat better practice, but doing no material damage. After this everything was quiet for the rest of the day.

I hear later on that Inspector Browne, C.P. (one of the very best), was shot by a Mauser through the fleshy part of the arm. Clean through, and no bone broken. This is the first casualty for some time past.

Our corner (Early’s) had to stand to arms at 4.30 this morning, of course Everybody wondering if the enemy were going to make a final attack, but the redoubt was dismissed soon afterwards in the usual quiet manner.

Had a long talk with Lord Cecil this evening before dinner. He tells me he sent one of the £1 notes home for publication in Black and White and mentioned my name as maker. I shall get my name up at this rate. He started telling me funny stories, which were really good. Must try them on the "Pink ’Un’’/7 amongst them the following: "Cut off from the north”, Heale’s "Where would you like it, my lord?”, "Come to tea tomorrow afternoon”, etc. He also told me how he picked up Gordon’s original letter in "Khatoum”.

Had a long ride after dinner (six) [and] accompanied Gunner Day on a visit all round the western cossack outposts. Whilst at Fort Limestone, Day’s horse bunked off home and I had a good two miles’ gallop after him through the river in pitch-black darkness, very nearly coming a cropper in a hole in the river, but managed only to get wet up to my knees.

Fort Holden told us they had just stopped two runners who had come up from Plumer, so I suppose we shall get some news in the morning. Getting back home about 10.30 p.m. we found that Mr. Weil had had two runners in from the south, and that our relief column was on this side of Vryburg and expected to be here about the end of this week.

Everybody very jubilant, especially Weil, who being a bit of a sport, of course wanted to bet everybody any amount about anything, either for or against, with or without, this week or next, odds or otherwise, etc., etc.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.336 seconds