• Page:

TOPIC:

March 25th 12 years 4 days ago #2589

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
1900 - Mafeking siege day 164 (75%). Cavalry reconnaissance towards Brandfort.

In Mafeking:

The Siege Exhibition took place to-day. A most creditable exhibition from the ingenuity shown, and also considering its peculiar surroundings. We shall hope to forward some of our exhibits home. I went out and inspected the Boer trench. If it is "an ill bird that fouls its own nest," a Boer is indeed ill. They are occupying a trench about seven hundred yards away, from which they shoot with a certain amount of precision, but with no result, upon their late happy home. Personally, I particularly wished to inspect the brick kilns, at which I had discharged some hundred rounds of ammunition. It is very interesting, but still somewhat annoying to find that it is practically bullet proof; however, on the other hand, the particular place of resort from which I had fired the said ammunition was also fairly safe, so perhaps I had no reason to grumble, and at any rate I had frequently silenced them.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

March 25th 2 years 4 days ago #82332

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
1900 - Diary of the siege of Mafeking by Edward Ross

Sunday, 25 March

Woke up early this morning and went up to the Bank look-out, thinking perhaps the big gun had gone, but alas, no, she is still there pointing solemnly and grimly at the ("doomed”) town.

Breakfasted with Hepworth, quite a treat, tapioca porridge, tinned pork and beans, and a little steak, finishing with cocoa and biscuits. Feel all right again for the next three days.

Exhibition at Masonic Hall today, great success. Not even standing room, over 500 paid at door. Exhibits included models, paintings, mechanical work, photographs, needlework, etc., etc. B.P. showed a collection of his sketches, which were exceedingly clever, mostly incidents of the siege.

There has been a good deal of distant sniping this morning, commenced I believe by the Cape Boys, but nobody hurt.

The Wolf and Nordenfeldt are going out tonight to a new advanced emplacement at the brickfields, from where it is considered they can reach the big gun and enemy’s laager; and will open fire at daylight in the morning and give them a little bit of a startler.

During the week all stray dogs are collected and on Sunday morning the Town Ranger has the unpleasant occupation of shooting them all. The natives congregate in crowds and as soon as one poor dog is shot, it resembles a childrens’ school treat when sweets are thrown; they make a frantic rush and almost tear the carcase to pieces in their haste to obtain possession. The next moment it is in their cooking-pots, and eaten half-raw.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.320 seconds