• Page:

TOPIC:

THE FOUNDING OF A REGIMENT - March - Date Unknown 12 years 1 week ago #2537

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1873
March 1900:

Canadian Horses for South Africa:

The following is an extract from an interesting letter from Dr. Duncan McEachran, Dean of the Faculty of Comparative Medicine and Veterinary Science, McGill University, respecting the horses purchased by him for Lord Strathcona's Corps:-

"I am glad to be able to report that I have secured 536 horses about 15 to 15-2; a few of them are about 14-3. 95 percent of them are thoroughly broken to cow-boy work. Taught to rein by the neck, stop suddenly, turn on the hind feet as a pivot, stand with the reins over their head on the prairie, ford and swim rivers, and go at a rapid pace up or down steep hills. They are stout animals with good short legs and strong quarters; good bone and as active as cats -- horses which know nothing of stables or grooms; accustomed to be ridden half a day or more, and at night are simply stripped of saddle and bridle and turned loose to find their feed. Except 24 head bought by police officers I bought every one myself - the riding horses and pack ponies in Macleod, Pincher Creek, on the range along the Foot Hills from there to Calgary, High River, Maple Creek, Regina and Lethbridge. The wagon horses I bought in Montreal - mostly Ontario bred - but there are a good number of Quebec Province horses. They are 15 to 15-3, stout, short legged horses, good movers and weighing 1200 to 1300 Ibs. In conclusion, I would say that hitherto it was not considered possible to purchase horses in Canada for army purposes. There are thousands suitable for mounted infantry - not all broken, it is true, but they are being broken now, and I have quite a number of letters and telegrams offering me horses. I feel convinced that the mounts will be so approved of by the Generals at the front that the question will be asked "Can more like them be bought quickly?", they can."
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.419 seconds