Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lt. Col. Sam Steele - Report to Lord Strathcona - March 16th 1900, Pt 2 12 years 1 week ago #2532

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1873
STEAMSHIP "MONTEREY"

16th. March 1900

Dear Lord Strathcona,

I am sending you to-day an official report of events since my last. The Regiment left Ottawa on the 12th. and arrived here yesterday. I hurried the embarkation of the horses as there was no place for them on shore. Dr. McEachran gave me every assistance and inspected each horse personally before it was placed on board. On our arrival in Montreal the men were detrained and we marched about four miles through both the French and English portions of the city receiving the greatest ovation that has ever been given a corps in our time. The streets were packed from one end to another with the houses and other buildings decorated in the most tasteful manner. Laval had the whole buildings (sic) decorated and the balcony and windows full of cheering students. McGill cheered the Laval men, and good feeling is the result. After the march we were given a luncheon in the Windsor Hall. It was attended by the majority of the leading citizens of Montreal, and the gallery packed with ladies. The Mayor and many of the gentlemen present made speeches, all of them eulogizing your patriotism and praising the efforts made by the Government and myself to carry out your wishes. I had the honor to reply to these giving a short account of the organization. The men, although treated with lavish hospitality behaved with the greatest sobriety and common sense, showing plainly my endeavours to fill the corps with a fine respectable lot of men had not been in vain. I left Montreal in the evening after a stay of six hours.

To-day the whole garrison of Halifax was represented in a triumphal march through the city. In the armoury speeches of a patriotic character were made by Lord William Seymore, Governor Daly, Dr. Borden and others. We then marched (headed by the Leinsters (Old Hundredth) through the whole city for four miles at least, the route being lined by an enthusiastic crowd of people. We embarked in an orderly way in twenty-five minutes from the time we went to the pier. I immediately published all the orders required by the Queen's Regulations and after consulting with the Captain made necessary regulations all of which will be strictly and I hope tactfully enforced. The men will be lectured on musketry, and drilled to stand to their boats, and are told off in crews.

The horses are first class and a great credit to Dr. McEachran. The draught animals were purchased in Montreal and are splendid ones. All have been shod as directed by the Queen's Regulations.

The men all through, since I took them to Ottawa, have behaved well. Lord William Seymore and all others admit that no finer, if as fine, a body could be found. All bronzed, hardy looking Fellows.

I am proud of the honor you have done me, and so are all concerned. I may add further that Lord William Seymore spoke highly of my brother officers saying that they went about their work in a most satisfactory manner with out a fuss.

Colonel Cotton of the Militia Department who commands in Ottawa, and the whole staff, treated me well and assisted me in every way. I am satisfied with the results.

The regiment was presented with four beautiful guidons. The people of Sudbury, Ont., of Campbellton, N.B., and Monckton (sic), N.B., gave us beautiful flags which I hope we may be able to hand over to your Lordship some of these days with credit. Every flag is of beautiful silk hand worked by the ladies of the Civil Service of Canada.

Dr. Borden, Lord William and many prominent persons saw us off to-day.

I cannot say too much of Dr. Borden's treatment of me. He left nothing undone and the Military Store Officer, Lieut. Col. Macdonald worked hard for us and has expressed himself pleased with the way in which our quartermaster pushed the work of his department.

Hoping that you are quite well again, I am,

Yours Respectfully,

(Signed) S. B. Steele
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Lt. Col. Sam Steele - Report to Lord Strathcona - March 16th 1900, Pt 2 11 years 11 months ago #2606

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1873
Good Morning Gentlemen.....

Just a little note.....

The weekly report that was to be sent to Lord Strathcona from Cape Verde is missing......

The next two reports are dated 10th April, 1900 from Cape Town.....

Then there is a gap until 2nd May, 1900.....

Will report them then....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.524 seconds