Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lt. Col. Sam Steele - Report to Lord Strathcona - March 16th 1900, Pt 1 12 years 1 week ago #2531

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1873
HALIFAX HARBOUR

March 16th. 1900

The Rt. Hon. Lord Strathcona & Mount Royal, G.C.M.G.
17, Victoria Street, London, ENGLAND

My Lord,

My last report was principally confined to the organization of your Corps up to the time of the concentration in Ottawa.

I have now the honour to report on the after events, bringing it up to the time when we are standing out in Halifax Harbour, ready to sail for South Africa.

On the date of my last report only a portion of the regiment had arrived in Ottawa, and I have now the honour to state that the Corps is at full strength -- Officers and men. But notwithstanding this fact it might be well to give your lordship a brief summary of the events which have occurred during the time we were quartered at Ottawa, and also, on the trip to Halifax.

Clothing and Stores.

When the stores were received at the Barracks at Ottawa, in accordance with Military Regulations, a board of officers, comprised of members of your own Corps, was appointed and sat upon the clothing and stores issued by the Department of Militia and Defence. The Board took expert evidence upon everything issued with the exception of the so-called Stetson hats, all the clothing, saddlery and equipment were found to be suitable for the campaign.

With regards to the hats, I may say that after a thorough test it was ascertained that they were not such as would resist the slightest moisture, and also, that they were not the hat used in the West.

When the finding of the Board was communicated to me I immediately took steps to replace the hats for a quality with which I was familiar in the West, but unfortunately, owing to the shortness of the time, I was unable to collect sufficient number, and consequently the original pattern was retained in the absence of something better. However, I understand Mr. Taylor is arranging to have a better hat forwarded to the Corps at Cape Town.

Horses.

Since arriving in Halifax, I am in receipt of your despatch regarding the horses. In reply to the same, I stated that they were satisfactory, and I have now only to add that in my opinion they are perfectly suitable to the work expected of them.

During our stay in Ottawa, Mr. Beith, M.P., one of the best judges of horse flesh in Canada had a look over all the stables, and he expressed to me his opinion that they were best horses of the kind that could be found.

Parades.

Although the regiment had been doing drill every day since it arrived in Ottawa, it was not until the 6th. inst., that I was able to have a full mounted parade which proved satisfactory in every particular. The horses behaved well, and the men showed an interest in the work which was encouraging. During the course of the parade we were visited, informally, be His Excellency the Governor General, who expressed himself as being well pleased. On this occasion we were presented, through Mr. Klock, M.P., with a beautiful flag, together with an address, a copy of which I herewith enclose.

On the following Thursday (8th March) the regiment paraded mounted - nearly full strength - and proceeded to Parliament Square where it was met by His Excellency the Governor General, the Members of the Senate and the House of Commons, the Mayor and Council of the City of Ottawa, together with thousands of citizens.

The regiment was presented by the Ladies of the Civil Service with four Guidons, exquisitely worked in silk and which show on them your lordship's crest and motto. I may say that the Guidons have been the admiration of people all along the line and the generous donation to the Corps by the Ladies of the Civil Service is very much appreciated by both the officers and men.

On Sunday the llth. inst. in accordance with orders issued by the Officer commanding the Ottawa Brigade, the regiment proceeded to church, full strength. I was exceedingly well pleased with the appearance of the men on this occasion. There was a steadiness and interest shown which was encouraging considering the limited time they had to pick up foot drill. But all along the men have shown a business front, fully realizing that they are on serious duty.

We commenced our departure for Montreal on Sunday, the above date, that is we entrained the horses, 539 in number, including three for General Hutton, in two trains, per C.P.R. for Montreal. A sufficient guard was detailed under the Veterinary Officer, and on the morning following we proceeded to Montreal. On Monday morning the 12th. inst. - after turning over the quarters occupied in Ottawa in a perfectly satisfactory condition your Corps entrained in two trains for Montreal . You have doubtless read in the newspapers a description of the enthusiasm with which we were received there but I do think it possible to adequately describe the demonstration beyond the fact that there was a cheering multitude, beautifully decorated streets, and everything to indicate the esteem with which you are held in the estimation of the people of that city, and the interest which they take in your Corps. A banquet was given by the City of Montreal at which eloquent and patriotic speeches were delivered.

The regiment entrained in three trains for Halifax at 9.30 on Monday evening, but owing to the heavy trains our progress was slow. This, however, did not prevent us from getting an enthusiastic reception everywhere along the line. At Campbellton, N.B., at 3 o'clock a.m., we were met by a large crowd and presented on behalf of the town with a fine silk flag. The same thing happened at Monckton (sic), and at Truro, N.S., late at night, an address was presented.

The Corps arrived at Halifax early Thursday morning and the work of
embarking the horses was immediately commenced and successfully accomplished by evening.

The men were quartered for the night, one squadron at the Armoury and two squadrons at the Exhibition Grounds. A smoking concert was given in the evening by the City, and a dinner to the Field Officers at the Halifax Club. The same enthusiasm displayed in other places was shown here. A march of four miles was made through the city yesterday, previous to which Her Majesty's message was read to the regiment in thee Armoury. The regiment was also inspected by General Seymore.

The embarkation at Halifax was completed half-an-hour after the Corps reached the dock, and we are now ready to sail.

I shall let you have a report from Cape Verde should we call there.

I have the honour to be my Lord,
Your obedient servant

(Signed) S.B. Steele, Lt. Col.
Commanding Strathcona's Horse
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.368 seconds