• Page:

TOPIC:

THE FOUNDING OF A REGIMENT - March 15th 1900 12 years 1 month ago #2523

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1879
March 15th. 1900:

Following telegram sent by Lord Strathcona to Colonel Steele:-

"Very sorry cannot see my force embark. Have transmitted to Dr. Borden gracious message I have received from Her Majesty which he will publicly convey to you and the men under your command. Have also asked him express my best wishes to all of you that you may have a pleasant voyage, every success and safe return. Appointments of all officers gazetted and they will receive their acting commissions from the Queen. Hope to forward them so as to reach you arrival South Africa where in any case you will find a letter. Immediately on arrival report yourself to the General Officer Commanding Cape Town."

March 15th. 1900:

Following telegram to Minister of Militia, Halifax from Lord Strathcona:-

"Please express to Colonel Steele, Officers and Men my great disappointment not being able to witness their departure. I looked forward with keen pleasure to opportunity of personally wishing them Godspeed and safe return. Am quite sure they will acquit themselves bravely and gallantly in any service entrusted to them, and that they will do credit to themselves, to the Dominion and to our beloved Queen.

"Please read to my force following gracious message received by me through Her Majesty's Private Secretary, and after reading kindly see it has proper publicity. Begins - Her Majesty will be glad if before they start you will convey to them an expression of her confidence that they will prove themselves worthy comrades of her Canadian soldiers who are now so gallantly fighting for the Empire's cause. The Queen wishes them all success and safe return to their homes in the Dominions. - Ends. In my reply I stated that both officers and men consider it privilege to have honor of serving their Sovereign and the Empire, and may be relied upon to do their duty as Canadians and as Loyal British Subjects, and to justify confidence in them to which Her Majesty has been graciously pleased to give expression."
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.292 seconds