TOPIC:

February 22nd 12 years 1 month ago #2345

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
1900 - Ladysmith siege day 113 (94%). Mafeking siege day 133 (61%). British occupy Barkly West. Buller occupies Wynne Hills. Kitchener proceeds to Naauwpoort to expedite the repair of the railway and bridges.
1902 - Grobler's commando captured near Lake Chrissie.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

February 22nd 8 years 1 month ago #45317

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, February 1900:

Two more German gunners surrendered to our pickets. They say 25 000: Boers, have sworn to take Ladysmith or perish in the attempt. It is not in their nature to be such desperadoes although our garrison is very weak. We are all on quarter rations. Two ships’ biscuits or a quarter of a pound of very bad bread, and a very little bit of meat, are the rations for each man. The bread is made of mealie meal. My daughters say it is very musty, and I say it is rotten. — 9 a.m. Some shots from Bulwan, probably at our pickets. — Major Evans came last night, to tell us Lord Roberts had taken Bloemfontein, the Free State capital, and was joyfully received by the people. — Buller has driven the rebels from some more of their strongholds. This is a fine country to fight in, and suits the Boer style of warfare. The Transvaal, is much of it flat, so our troops would have the advantage, therefore, I don’t think the rebels will quit Natal just yet.
Dr David Biggins

February 22nd 7 years 1 month ago #52118

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Up at 7 o’clock, after spending a slightly more restful night. Beautiful morning. Would like to go out for a walk but feel too limp. I’ve a splendid opportunity to write letters but the inclination is wanting. I’m surprised at keeping up these notes and they must be very ratty, but it is a task I have set myself, hoping that they may interest and be acceptable to my wife and children. Should I have the good fortune to survive the campaign, it is my intention to rewrite my various experiences which these notes will revive to my memory. Roche called to see me after coming up from Intombi where he has been for the past six weeks.

Fred Tatham brought us good news. “Free Staters were returning West” and “Lucas Meyer with 4000 men entrained at Elandslaagte and passed Elandsfontein Junction en route for Bloemfontein.” “Buller has taken several more good positions and is getting along well.”
Dr David Biggins

February 22nd 7 years 1 month ago #52119

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the letters writer by Lt Col Park in Ladysmith

Thursday. 22nd February. Many, many happy returns of the day to you, and may God grant that this is the last of your birthdays we shall spend apart I can send you no present and not even any good news, as none of importance has come in the last two days, but Buller has turned up to the left, and attacked the flank of the main Boer position in the hills between this and Colenso, and is believed to be getting on well. He was firing hard all day yesterday, as many as thirty shells a minute being counted at one time in the afternoon; and this morning he is blazing away again. A message came in from him last night to say all was going on well, and he believed the Boers were retiring; but none have been seen trekking past here in the last two days. We were out at three this morning, and reconnoitred about two miles out to see if they were still round this side, and found they were just as usual. I thought we could hardly be relieved by today, but there are six days yet to the end on the month, and I think that ought to see us clear if all goes well. When we left Jullundur I never dreamt but that we should be back before your birthday, and yet here we are still bottled up, and no knowing what is to become of us, though I feel more and more certain that if possible they will send us back to India at a very early date, partly to save the hot weather, and partly to save feeding useless troops here, and also because we have no clothes, and by the end of next month there are sharp frosts at night in these parts, and we should have men dying of dysentery, pneumonia, etc.

I wish I could wire to you or send you some real good news to cheer you up; you have had such a weary long time waiting and suspense. God grant I may be able to send you real good news in a very few days now.

There is great joy among the men, as an order has just come round that a full ration of 1 lb. of biscuits or bread daily will be issued from today onwards. They have felt the want of that more than anything else, and this is a sign that Sir G. White thinks our early relief a certainty.
Dr David Biggins

February 22nd 7 years 1 month ago #52120

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Good news today. They say Buller has crossed the Tugela in three places and with Lyddite shells turned the Boers out of their trenches. Also that Buller has heliographed to say we are all to be put on full rations of bread, so that is a good sign. Also a later message came and was given out in orders that Lucas Meyer with 4000 men had left Elandslaagte and gone to Elandsfontein. That the relief of Kimberley had caused great consternation in the Free State, and that he hoped to be with us shortly. So this looks most promising. Wilfrid been bad today. We are going to move him tomorrow to a cooler room. Mr.Nourse Varty was taken to the hospital today, high temperature, etc. Colonel Green told us. He left us this evening.
Dr David Biggins

February 22nd 6 years 1 month ago #57636

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Major George Tatham, Natal Carbineers

Nothing during the night reported. Long Tom paid us his daily compliments. Reports state that our troops are crossing Tugela at Robinson's Drift, Colenso and near the Falls. Yesterday's movements said to be most successful and the General has other good news which he cannot publish.

Received letter from Christopher dated 14th, also one from Mrs. Robert Bristow Tatham.
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.412 seconds