TOPIC:

February 15th 12 years 1 month ago #2295

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
1900 - The relief of Kimberley, on day 124. Ladysmith siege day 106 (89%). Mafeking siege day 126 (58%).

Detail from the Kimberley Medal

In Kimberley:

The enemy’s 6 inch gun fired a few rounds into the town in the morning, and Alexandersfontein had a very hot time of it during the morning. Early in the afternoon I received a helio message saying General French was arriving with the best Cavalry div and 5000 men, and asking which was the best route in.

It was indeed glad news. I went out to meet him and unluckily missed him, and on my return found him at the Sanitorium. I have not heard details but it certainly was a wonderful performance of the Cavalry Div.

I at once sent out all troops at my disposal to at once attack the enemy’s works at Diebels Vlei, and the Intermediate Pumping Station. Lt Col Murray 1/LN Lan Regt in command.

Late in the evening I was informed that this force had occupied Diebels Vlei fort and occupied a position from there to Dronfield Siding.

I was directed to collect a number of guides who know the country well, as General French wished if possible to cut off the enemy’s 6 inch gun which it was supposed was being removed from Kampersdam.
The enemy’s 6 inch gun fired a few rounds into the town in the morning, and Alexandersfontein had a very hot time of it during the morning. Early in the afternoon I received a helio message saying General French was arriving with the best Cavalry div and 5000 men, and asking which was the best route in.

It was indeed glad news. I went out to meet him ad unluckily missed him, and on my return found him at the Sanitorium. I have not heard details but it certainly was a wonderful performance of the Cavalry Div.

I at once sent out all troops at my disposal to at once attack the enemy’s works at Diebels Vlei, and the Intermediate Pumping Station. Lt Col Murray 1/LN Lan Regt in command.

Late in the evening I was informed that this force had occupied Diebels Vlei fort and occupied a position from there to Dronfield Siding.

I was directed to collect a number of guides who know the country well, as General French wished if possible to cut off the enemy’s 6 inch gun which it was supposed was being removed from Kampersdam.

In Mafeking:

As dawn broke a crowd of us went up to the lookout post, to look for our dear departed, and when we failed to find her we accepted our loss with due philosophy. I rode over to Fort Ayr to see Mr. Greenfield, who is isolated for a month in this post. He must, when not engaged in rallies with the Boers, find it very dull, for he accepted with avidity the offer of my diary of the siege to read. He had, however, found Creaky in front of his position and about five miles due west of the town; what she proposes to do here time will show, but our end is pretty safe from her. Later I received a telephone message to say how pleased he was with the account of the fight of November 31st. This blunder, in my diary, is a legacy from my late typewriter. His last batch of copy (which was the last straw that gave the correspondent the " hump ") dated the 12th, though irritating, was rather amusing, I have now transferred my favours elsewhere. The gun has commenced bombarding the stadt and women's laager.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

February 15th 8 years 1 month ago #45275

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, February 1900:

The rebel maxims on Bulwan, are lively. No shells yet.—A few at evening. — Market forbidden to be held because eggs fetch 3/- each. — A carbineer brought us a present of some horse’s liver. No doubt he meant it kindly, but we don’t eat old horse. — An officer of the 95th regiment, tells me he saw about 800 Boers trekking in the direction of their own country this morning. I think the end approacheth.
Dr David Biggins

February 15th 7 years 1 month ago #51974

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Heard the joyful sound of cannon Colenso way at 2 o’clock, which continued at intervals until 9 o’clock, but much more frequent after. Names were taken of those desirous of sending a Heliograph message through to friends, which I did to Grandma. The same message had to do for all and ran: “Doing well. Write at once Northern Weenen” How I long to get a line to learn all’s well, this is my greatest anxiety. ’’Long Tom’ put in 4 shells just before dinner in our vicinity, one going in front of the Convent causing great consternation. Very much fear we shall be cleared from the Hill as we are supposed to be drawing the fire. Doctor was telling us at Dinner that he put 25 green mealies on the market yesterday which returned the enormous price of 3/8d. a piece. Fowls are selling 16/- to 21/-, Jam 30/- a lb. Understand the market sales are to be stopped as it encourages speculation to the detriment of the poorer classes. Spent capital evening with Miss Bush, late local school mistress, who called in and gave us some music, the Doctor giving us some of his old songs. He was in capital voice. He sang: “Let me like a soldier fall”, “Queen of the Earth”, “Oh, Promise me”, “The Bloom off the Rye”, “Silent Toast”, “Goodbye”, “Ting a Ling”. The Revd. McVarish sang, “The Wearing of the Green”. Returned at half past nine, getting a better night.
Dr David Biggins

February 15th 7 years 1 month ago #51975

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Another day gone. A few shells came as usual into town. Mrs. Duffton came to say goodbye this afternoon. She is returning the same way that she came at six in the morning.

We hear General Buller has taken Pieters Station and the Boers are retreating. We hope there is some truth in that rumour. Saw Colonel Rhodes again today, he has promised to write his name on my Siege tablecloth.
Dr David Biggins

February 15th 7 years 1 month ago #51976

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I think I'd have to be pretty dammed hungry to even contemplate "old horse" too and I tend to agree with Watson, in that the enemy had, indeed, shot their bolt.

djb wrote: From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, February 1900:

The rebel maxims on Bulwan, are lively. No shells yet.—A few at evening. — Market forbidden to be held because eggs fetch 3/- each. — A carbineer brought us a present of some horse’s liver. No doubt he meant it kindly, but we don’t eat old horse. — An officer of the 95th regiment, tells me he saw about 800 Boers trekking in the direction of their own country this morning. I think the end approacheth.

February 15th 7 years 1 month ago #51977

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
One does wonder if Frank Rhodes actually did sign the tablecloth mentioned and of course, if the same is still extant today, it would certainly be a magnificent siege trophy.

djb wrote: 1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Another day gone. A few shells came as usual into town. Mrs. Duffton came to say goodbye this afternoon. She is returning the same way that she came at six in the morning.

We hear General Buller has taken Pieters Station and the Boers are retreating. We hope there is some truth in that rumour. Saw Colonel Rhodes again today, he has promised to write his name on my Siege tablecloth.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.851 seconds