• Page:

TOPIC:

February 7th 12 years 2 months ago #2221

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4511
1900 - Kimberley siege day 116 (93%). Ladysmith siege day 98 (82%). Mafeking siege day 118 (54%). Vaalkrantz evacuated. Macdonald in action at Koedoesberg.
1901 - 30,000 additional mounted troops to be sent to South Africa.
1902 - De Wet breaks through blockhouse line.

In Kimberley:

For some days past enemy has been observed strengthening his works at Kampersdam, and had closed the embrasure on it facing towards Kimberley. At about 11 am to-day he opened with a six inch BL gun on HP mounting and during the day fired 25 shells into the town and at the works.

Of course these shells reach any part of the town, and have caused much consternation. It will be indeed difficult to arrange for the safety of the women and children. I only trust enemy has not much ammunition. Kampersdam is an exceedingy strong position and it will be a real difficult job to turn the enemy out.

Enemy’s guns at Carter’s Ridge, Schmidt farm, Susanna and Wimbledon also fired during the day.

I sent the following by helio and search light during the day:

“From Int Kb to Int MD. Feb 7 No 177. ?Yesterday’s news Enemy sniping cattle guard West Town. Enemy fired small number of shell at Kenilworth town, Kimberley, Beaconsfield also defence, casualties one horse killed one wounded.”

“From Int Kb to Int MD. Feb 7 No 178. Persistent rumours here British troops advancing Fauresmith though don’t believe rumour.

Having visited neighbourhood wish record for general information Jagersfontein to Fauresmith extremely difficult country extensive ranges Kopje existing. Fauresmith entirely surrounded by large Kopjes. Entrance from East gained by pass and from West by road lying in Kloof for over a mile then sharp ascent over ridge and descent winding round dangerous Kopjes.

“From Kekewich to Methuen. Feb 7 11 am No 179. Enemy has just opened fire on us with a 6 inch BL gun on HP mounting from Kampersdam range from Railway station seven thousand five hundred yards. Public bar wrecked child reported killed much fear disturbing effect on townspeople.”

“From Int KB to Int MD. Feb 7 11 am No 180. Enemy has just opened fire on us with six inch BL gun on HP mounting from Kampersdam range from Railway station seven thousand five hundred yards.”

“From Kekewich to Genl Methuen. Feb 7 No 181. Have directed military censors to stop all press messages containing references to matter reported in my 179 this day.”

“From Kekewich to Methuen. Feb 7 No 182. Attorney General CT wires me what is nature of evidence against Michau here. Please inform him no legal evidence against Michau procurable here.”

The following were received during the night.

“From Int MD to Int KB. Feb 7 No I 57. Is there any water in Vlei. Think you can see it.”

“From Int MD to Int KB. Feb 7th No 256. Can send any details water between and and East of Early answer urgently wanted. Harding says Coetze and Kanoyk known to Lorimer were employed to travel Rd Kimberley. Could give details on that road. Please answer to-morrow.”

In Ladysmith:

We have now but one thought—is it possible for Buller to force his way across that line of hills overlooking the Tugela? The nearest summits are not more than ten miles away. We could ride out there in little more than an hour and join hands with our countrymen and the big world outside. Yet the barrier remains unbroken. Firing continued nearly all day, except in the extreme heat of afternoon. We could watch the columns of smoke thrown up by the Boers' great gun, still fixed above that niche upon the horizon. The Dutch camps were unmoved, and at the extremity of the Long Valley a large new camp with tents and a few waggons appeared and increased during the day. Some thought it was a hospital camp, but it was more likely due to a general concentration in the centre. Here and there we could see great shells bursting, and even shrapnel. The sound of rifles and "pom-poms" was often reported. Yet I could not see any real proof of advance. Perhaps fever and sun blind me to hope, for the staff are very confident still. They even lay odds on a celebration of victory next Sunday by the united forces, and I hear that Sir George is practising the Hundredth Psalm.

In Mafeking:

They commenced shelling early this morning, so far with little damage. There seem regular streaks of luck in this shell fire, and sometimes we strike a very bad one, but it is really marvellous how these huge shells have done comparatively little injury to life here. From what we can gather from other places, it will be about the worst knocked about town in South Africa. The remains of some buildings have been removed and the majority will require re-building. Yesterday, a shell went clean through the smoke box and boiler of a locomotive, and did not explode until striking the ground beyond. One also pitched on the top of an unfortunate native in an engine ashpit and destroyed him. The price of food has naturally risen enormously and will probably rise more. The humble Kaffir, if he possesses a hen which lays regularly, can maintain himself and another. An egg fetches sixpence, and a Kaffir's ration of mealie meal only comes to threepence sterling, consequently the henless Kaffir sponges upon his more wealthy brother.

This afternoon I rode up to Cannon Kopje and arrived simultaneously with a ninety-four pound shell from the contrary direction. We did not, however, hurt each other, and I dismounted and tethered my horse under the best cover available, and to ground with me like a rabbit. They tired one or two more shells at the kopje, doing no harm, and we then strolled up to the look-out post to have a look at our persecutor. It was a lovely evening, and as she was then pointed on the town, one could view her proceedings with the utmost equanimity, speculating mildly as to whether she would pitch her shell on one's own bomb proof or not. The shell, however, burst prematurely, just clear of the muzzle of the gun, and we continued watching the town and the rest of the defences, all of which lie like a panorama from the Cannon Kopje look-out. Creaky was then re-loaded, and with her nose cocked high in the air, was apparently aimed in the direction of the planet Venus. As a matter of fact, however, she was aimed at Fort Ayr, and after the discharge one imagined one could trace the projectile in its flight by the hurtling sound it made; but when by sound it seemed as far as Fort Miller, one could see the strike close by Fort Ayr (which is about four miles from the gun), and yet the noise of the projectile through the air continued for some seconds longer, producing a very curious effect. She re-loaded and was again pointed on the town when slowly she swung her nose round and was pointed on us, a roar of look out from the man on duty, and the crowd of languid spectators was transformed into a body of active men, heading straight for their accustomed shelters, which having attained, they peered carefully at the gun, waiting for the smoke from the muzzle, which would be the signal for their final disappearance. We waited and waited, but she came not, so, deciding that it was the good-night gun, I walked back, accompanied by one of the garrison of the kopje, and ate my dinner at the hotel with the comforting assurance that I had last seen her directed a good mile from the dining-room.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

February 7th 8 years 2 months ago #45138

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, February 1900:

Yesterdays fight is re-newed. This is the third day’s battle. The rebels have no artillery except on Bulwan, and this is only used on us. And yet by the strength of their positions, and armed only with rifles (they don’t use swords, or lances, or bayonets) they manage to keep our army at bay. I think our friends on Bulwan, must be occupied with Buller’s army of relief. We have had very few of their missives for the last two days, and our batteries have also fired little.
Dr David Biggins

February 7th 7 years 2 months ago #51866

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Another day the same as yesterday, heavy firing all day long and still we hear no results, and they seem to come no nearer. It was reported yesterday that the Queen had cabled out to Buller Ladysmith was to be relieved at any cost by the 10th, and that he cabled back it should be on the 5th. Tomorrow will be the 8th. I don't expect (at the rate we are going on) we shall be relieved until the beginning of next month. I feel too tired and sleepy to write more tonight. Wilfrid seems a little better tonight. Major Duffton is very bad, poor old chap. The Drs. performed an operation on his arm this morning. From all accounts I don't think they will save it.
Dr David Biggins

February 7th 7 years 2 months ago #51867

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

5.30 Cannon booming away. How welcome the music! The Dutch Pompoms (Nordenfeldts) kept up a brisk fire on our outposts. Relief Column is gradually creeping up, so may soon be relieved. Rations are being cut down - no mealie meal this morning, only half a loaf (1 lb) for the day. My two companions finished theirs for breakfast and craving for more. I kept a portion of mine - have not yet arrived at the craving stage, but earnestly pray that the promised goodies coming forward may soon reach us. Got bedstead (floor boards etc.) and made ourselves more comfortable. Went for a bathe, feeling much refreshed.
Dr David Biggins

February 7th 7 years 2 months ago #51868

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the letters writer by Lt Col Park in Ladysmith

There was heavy gun firing from one direction all yesterday and again this morning, and now (10 a.m.) it has almost stopped, so I hope Buller has taken the position and knocked the Boers well. We have had absolutely no news, but hardly expected any, as the force would be much too busy to think of helio’ing to us, and I am quite content to wait and trust that it will be all right, and that in another day or two we shall see the relieving column coming in.

A small hole appeared this morning, for the first time, in the toe of one of my thick socks. Considering that I have worn them all day and often all night for four months they have done well. I have just made a beautiful darn with some of the black wool you put in my housewife, and they ought to carry on for a long time. I shall be very glad when the day comes that I can leave off my heavy shooting boots. Now that my legs are so remarkably cottony and limp they tire me, I am very thankful I brought a pair of old brown shoes, as I generally manage to get into them for a bit in the middle of the day, and it is a rest and change. What we all want is lots of good milk, and butter, and fat meat, and beer, and whiskey, etc. I should like a huge milky rice pudding everyday for tiffin, and a slop-basin full of bread and milk before going to bed every night. Oh, my! how nice it would be. I can hardly remember what real good butter tastes like. Hard bikky, wetted (it won’t soak) in weak tea, without milk or sugar, is not a very interesting food; but it is the only substitute for bread and butter at present. We had horse sausages for breakfast; at least, horse made into sausage meat and done up into sort of croquettes; it was spiced up a little and wasn’t at all bad. The commissariat are turning out a lot of it as part of the meat rations now.

Riddell very kindly gave me two packs of cards some time ago, and I get through a lot of time in playing various forms of Patience which different fellows have taught me, and in occasional Piquet with Curry, Ravenshaw, etc. The latter has been very seedy lately, but is better. Honner has also been laid up, and is very much pulled down and very deplorable. Gloster has fever, and is on the sick list, and Watts has just recovered from a slight go. Altogether, we are not very healthy, but it is hardly to be wondered at. If only Buller will come along, and we can get out this, we shall soon be all right.
Dr David Biggins

February 7th 7 years 2 months ago #51880

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I certainly think that having just half a loaf of bread was rather better than being subject to one of those wretched Dutch Pom Pom shells, referred to, interesting to note they both weighed the same.

djb wrote: 1900 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

5.30 Cannon booming away. How welcome the music! The Dutch Pompoms (Nordenfeldts) kept up a brisk fire on our outposts. Relief Column is gradually creeping up, so may soon be relieved. Rations are being cut down - no mealie meal this morning, only half a loaf (1 lb) for the day. My two companions finished theirs for breakfast and craving for more. I kept a portion of mine - have not yet arrived at the craving stage, but earnestly pray that the promised goodies coming forward may soon reach us. Got bedstead (floor boards etc.) and made ourselves more comfortable. Went for a bathe, feeling much refreshed.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.550 seconds