• Page:

TOPIC:

January 21st 12 years 2 months ago #2091

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
1900 - Kimberley siege day 99 (79%). Ladysmith siege day 81 (68%). Mafeking siege day 101 (46%). Warren moves up Venter's Spruit and attacks Boer right flank. Preparations made for mobilization of Eighth Division.

In Kimberley:

Enemy quiet to-day. In the afternoon Lt Dunbar from Otto’s Kopje moved out with some mounted men and nearly managed to drive away some of the enemy’s cattle. He took one prisoner. I hope we shall be able to get some information out of him. He had several letters in his pockets.

Typhoid fever is I am sorry to assuming rather serious proportions. There are 70 cases of it now in hospital. More than 3 times as many as in the corresponding period 12 months ago. The seriousness is increased by the virulency of the disease – no less than 15 of the cases have already proved fatal, a mortality of over 20%.

The following messages were sent by helio or search light to-day:

“From Int KB to Int MD. Jan 21st No 121. Two natives arrived this morning from Mafeking which they left Dec 30th. Stop.Report no diminution numbers investing Mafeking, since Cronje’s departure stop. They passed Vryburg on Jan 13th on that date many Transvaalers including boys 12 years age were receiving arms there and they saw many new cases arms in Court House there. They report Boers have driven off nearly all live stock at Mafeking only few sheep now remain. New arrivals this neighbourhood are probably Boers reported to have been armed at Vryburg Han 13th. Native has also arrived from BOETSAP this morning and states that six hundred rebels after capturing KARUMEN proceeded to AVOCA. Also states every male 10 years of age and upwards irrespective of nationality being commandeered in Grigualand West and Bechuanaland further that WESTFALL and natives PNIEL uniform station are armed and actively assisting enemy.”

“From Kekewich to General MD. Jan 21st No 122. Can you arrange for Military censor Modder River send me daily Military situation SA for publication. Am sure it would assist defence absence of news leads people to believe disasters are occurring and that I personally am withholding news of the same. Last newspaper received in Kimberley from outer world dated Jan 10th so we are without details of Boer attack Ladysmith, where relations of many here are serving.”

“From Int MD to Int KB Jan 21st about arrival of batches of natives at Modder River and ends: “If you could find number batches we would acknowledge them more quickly.”

In Ladysmith:

After varying my trek-ox rations by catching a kind of barbel with a worm in the yellow Klip, I went again to Observation Hill, and with the greater interest because every one was saying two of the Boer camps were in flames. Of course it was a lie. The camps stood in their usual places quite undisturbed. But I saw one of our great shells burst high up the mountain side of Taba Nyama (Black Mountain) instead of on the plain at its foot, and with that sign of forward movement I was obliged to be content.

In Mafeking:

Agricultural and produce show, including babies. The first prize for foals since the commencement of the siege to Mr. Minchin, Bechuanaland Rifles; for babies, to Sergeant Brady, B. S. A. P.; a great success, and really extraordinarily good show. My fever nearly gone.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

January 21st 8 years 2 months ago #44911

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, January 1900:

Sunday, all quiet about here, but there is a fight going on far away. There are several bands of rebels between here and Tugela. — Such of our people as have lived here during the last three months, can hardly again pretend to be afraid of lightning. The bolts from Bulwan, are equally certain death, and in a more shocking manner than by lightning. Mr. Gradwell, Ryley’s mill manager, died last night. He was not a bad sort of man. He is another victim of Gladstone’s cowardice. He was very ill, and a night in that horrible lock up, finished him. He was arrested for speaking disrespectfully of the military powers, who had seized his master’s mill, and who, in his opinion, were abusing it. He only returned home to die. — Two of my small grand children, down with dysentery. Oh how I love the memory of that old ghoul Gladstone! Be these your gods O Israel! England I mean. — A fine shower of rain. It was much needed.
Dr David Biggins

January 21st 7 years 2 months ago #51516

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Came home at eight this morning and had a lovely sleep. Hose at four and had a bath and felt quite refreshed. My first night of duty over. The night seemed long, but tomorrow it will be worse for some things as I will be alone, and there will be patients to go out to Indombi which is a bit of a trial. I am glad to say a splendid night orderly is on with me this week who understands his work.
Dr David Biggins

January 21st 7 years 2 months ago #51517

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Sunday. Mounted parade followed by Church Parade. Cleaning up generally, after which I managed to get a bathe. Heat tremendous. Went over to Mrs. Haden’s for the afternoon. Had a long chat with Goldmann and Maxwell. Did a little writing, but have no energy left. Heavy gun firing from Acton Homes way more or less the whole day. Tremendous thunderstorm in evening followed by a heavy downpour which ran through the tents like a river. With great fag, managed to keep blankets dry, but have the mud to lie on.
Dr David Biggins

January 21st 2 years 2 months ago #80930

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - Diary of the siege of Mafeking by Edward Ross

Sunday, 21 January

A very heavy discharge or explosion was heard coming from the enemy’s camp very early this morning, also rifle volleys. One can only conjecture the cause.

At 6.30 a.m. the Volunteers, Railway Division and Town Guard assembled on the Market Square and were inspected by Colonel Baden-Powell, who, addressing them said he had great pleasure in again addressing the Town Guard after the term of 100 days’ siege. He knew very well we should do our duty, but we had carried it out far beyond his expectations. We had been under arms a longer time than he or anyone else had expected, and had gone through a good deal of arduous work, being on duty on hot days and cold wet miserable nights without complaint. The only thing to do was to continue to sit tight and shoot straight and at the termination Mafeking would score a great victory, in fact more than a great victory. It was no doubt true that the British troops were moving slowly but they were moving surely. They had been waiting for their reinforcements, which were now all arriving, and that he hoped soon to hear good news.

After Colonel Vyvyan intimating that those who had any antipathy against the English church service could fall out, the Rev. Weekes proceeded to give us a short military service, at the close of which the square sang "God save the Queen”.

Today the usual Sunday entertainment consisted of an Agricultural and Produce Show, with a prize for the best siege baby. The prize for the latter was carried off by the B.S.A.P., Mrs. Sgt. Brady being the lucky mother. It is almost a pity that longer notice of this sort of competition had not been given, say about March last year, when I have no doubt many would have endeavoured to secure the prize. The Show was no doubt very successful and reflects credit on those who must have worked hard for it.

Vegetables, fruit, sewing work, reminiscences of the siege in the shape of inkpots and other little knick-knacks made from shells, bullets, etc., fired into Mafeking, bulls, cows, oxen, sheep, goats, horses, mules, donkeys, ducks, fowls, etc., although of course in very small quantities, all joined to make a very good show for a three months’ beleaguered town, under shellfire all tire time. If the enemy had seen it, their mouths would have watered.

English parson again had a full house for service this evening and his discourse was taken from the part of the Bible which appropriately tells us that, "We war not against principalities or powers, but the powers of evil are arrayed against us,” or words to that effect. May those evil powers be soon consigned to perdition.

Our autocrat, B.P., today published a decree, prohibiting all and anyone from selling food-stuffs of any description. All such will be taken over by the military authorities and issued as rations -when found necessary. This does not look very healthy. They seem to consider that with the exception of bread-stuffs, we have plenty to last us out for another three months and surely it cannot last longer than that.

Our native boy Oliphant leaves tonight for the north. He takes all our messages together with despatches for the Colonel. If he gets through to Mochudi all right he has got a pass from there for the train and so will go right through to Bulawayo. We all hope and pray that he will get through safely and return with some news. Sent all our messages through Raymer, Bulawayo, who I am sure will see them forwarded all right. Wrapped up all our stuff in waterproof covering and pushed it into a small brass tube with instructions to the boy to throw it away if captured. Staff exceedingly kind in the matter and rendered all possible assistance.

Spent a very nice musical evening at Whales’s house, the siege was almost forgotten with the music, songs, whisky, tea, etc., etc. 

Tom did my sentry-go for me last night, or rather this morning, as I was down on the roster for 3.30 to 5.30 a.m. By this little arrangement, I was enabled to keep a previously arranged appointment.

What a glorious day Sunday is to us!
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE, Moranthorse1

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.449 seconds