• Page:

TOPIC:

January 16th 12 years 3 months ago #2041

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4508
1900 - Kimberley siege day 94 (75%). Ladysmith siege day 76 (63%). Mafeking siege day 96 (44%).

In Kimberley:

Helio communication is I hope now thoroughly opened, - and I much hope it will be the means of our getting more information and news through; messages going through well this morning.

The following message was sent by helio this morning:

“From Int KB to Int MD. Jan 15th No 107. More private letters received to-day from Taungs. They are dated 12th instant, and state Boers from Mafeking passed through that place same date, one writes estimates Boer numbers at nine hundred. Large numbers of compound natives released here reached Taungs, but Boers have removed them to Bloemfontein. Despatch runner reports Boer Laager on farm Spitzkof of thousand men and four guns. Arrival of Boers from Karumen in this neighbourhood on 12th inst is confirmed this morning by native arrived from Barkly West states detachment two hundred strong with three guns passed through village on 11th instant.

The forage ration since 1st Jan has been as follows:
4 lbs of chaff or hay;
6 “ “ Mealies.
½ oz “ Salt.

During the morning the enemy fired 22 shells and we fired 20. I understand our shells from the Premier Mine were very well directed – the enemy did not return this fire, but the officer commanding at the Premier says he can see their gun in the work at Olifantsfontein. The firing of very heavy guns by the relief column was heard at about 6 am this morning.

At about 5 pm the relief column balloon was seen over Spyfontein, and appeared to be somewhat closer to us than on former occasions; it went up two or three times and finally moved in an Easterly direction. It was difficult to distinguish if the smoke or dust we saw was from the enemy’s guns or from those of the relief column. In any case there was very heavy firing which went on from about 5 pm until about 6.30 pm. A large number of natives were sent out to-day in hopes that to-morrow morning they may be able to drive in some of the enemy’s cattle.

I sent the following message by search light this evening:

“From Int KB To Int MD. Jan 16th No 108. Suggested that change of out letter cypher advisable: propose code name of leader of party on board Scot be used as key word with last letter cut off – remaining letters alphabet being filled in right to left commencing at last gnare.”

The following message was received by helio this afternoon:

“14th Jan No I 63. Your 102 of yesterday four received. Please send in twos and threes twelve natives as runners and scots to me, others have been taken. As to ammunition if guns taken Colenso Natal uncertain but says 60 to 600 rounds. Your 100 of yesterday. Can you verify your idea 12000 men on Scholtz Nek position, I will try do the same position held in front here stated in my 57 Jan 12th but I am unable to locate bulk Boer forces. Following boys saying from Kimberley arrived here as refugees. Charlie John AMAXOSO, Spoor, Basuto Lucas Basuto, say sent out of Kimberley end of December is this true.”

The following message was received by searchlight this evening:

“From Int MD to Int KB. Jan 16th No 69. John PZU Zulu who left Kimberley 9th inst he had packet private letters and said Charlie started with him but not yet arrived.”

In Ladysmith:

A day of unfulfilled expectation, unrelieved even by lies and rumours. From the top of Observation Hill I again watched the Dutch in their clustered camps, fourteen miles away across the great plain, whilst our heliograph flashed to us from the dark hill beyond them. But there was no sound of the expected guns, and every one lost heart a little.

At the market, eggs were a guinea a dozen. Four pounds of oatmeal sold for 11s. 6d. A four-ounce tin of English tobacco fetched 30s. Out of our original numbers of about 12,000 nearly 3,000 are now sick or wounded at Intombi, and there are over 200 graves there. More helpers are wanted, and to-day Colonel Stoneman summoned 150 loafers from their holes in the river-bank, and called for twenty volunteers. No one came, so he has stopped their rations till they can agree among themselves to produce the twenty ready to start.

In Mafeking:

Dislike the shelling more since I have fever; one shell struck auxiliary hospital.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

January 16th 8 years 3 months ago #44798

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, January 1900:

Buller was to have been here yesterday but there is no sign of him yet. — Shells coming into the town as usual. — For fifteen years, we have allowed the Boers to arm themselves to the teeth, with the very best weapons Europe and America can produce, and now we expect to overcome them without blood-shed. In this war, we need a large army, immense food supplies, the best of our warlike stores, and the most energetic, and clearest headed of our generals. — It has been said that, “Africa is the grave of military reputation.” May be so, but it seems to me, the officers who lose their reputations here, ought never to have had any reputation to lose. Red River, North, South, and West Africa, made Wolseley’s reputation. Penn-Symons, French, and Clery have also gained laurels here. Sir George Colley was a very amiable man, and efficient governor of a province in peace time, but when he aspired to command an army he proved a bungler. We don’t need theoretical soldiers and Staff College puppies, but men like Clive, Lawrence, or Sir Collin Campbell. In short we need generals who will treat barbarians as savages, and carry out the laws of war as regards traitors, for we are becoming too squeamish and mealy mouthed altogether. — If the rebels would only come out and fight in the open field, it would only be a very few days before the war was finished, but they will not come out, and England’s most culpable delay in sending troops, has given our men a very difficult job to do. The rebels have been allowed months, in which to make the positions nearly impregnable, for the whole country is covered with large, loose, blocks of stone; there’s no need to quarry materials with which to build their fortifications. These have not been neglected. Night attacks, and cold steel, are the only means of surmounting these obstacles. But our generals will never think of such a way of carrying on war. No other country in the world, would have remained passive while a petty vassal state armed itself in the manner the Transvaal has been allowed to do. No one here doubted for a moment, that all these arms were to drive England from South Africa. It is very hard on Tommy Atkins, that his own country, has made his work ten times as desperate as it need be.
Dr David Biggins

January 16th 7 years 3 months ago #51419

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Mounted parade 4.30. Usual routine. Heavy cannonading the whole day. Supposed to be at Potgieter’s Drift 15 miles away in the direction of Acton Homes.
Dr David Biggins

January 16th 7 years 3 months ago #51420

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Shelling commenced early and continued till about 8 o'clock. Two fell in Bert's erf, taking up three trees. Half a dozen shots fell again in the evening, another in Bert's. Very quiet day. Slight shower in the evening. Market tonight. Fabulous prices. 19/6 a dozen for eggs, 6/- for a small tin of jam, 9/- and 10/- for a small vegetable marrow, £4 for a bag of flour. Mama is improving I am glad to say.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank Kelley

January 16th 7 years 3 months ago #51421

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Four quid? for a bag of flour!
One wonders just how "big" the bag was, moreover, did it contain only flour, or was there a little, or indeed, more than a little, chalk perhaps?
Not good!

djb wrote: 1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Shelling commenced early and continued till about 8 o'clock. Two fell in Bert's erf, taking up three trees. Half a dozen shots fell again in the evening, another in Bert's. Very quiet day. Slight shower in the evening. Market tonight. Fabulous prices. 19/6 a dozen for eggs, 6/- for a small tin of jam, 9/- and 10/- for a small vegetable marrow, £4 for a bag of flour. Mama is improving I am glad to say.

January 16th 7 years 3 months ago #51422

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello David,
Quite frankly, I find all of these posts rather more than interesting, they are fascinating, the privations, the townsfolk of Ladysmith had to endure, certainly just on there own show a side to the Anglo Boer War that is only seldom talked of, all these years afterwards.
Regards Frank

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.467 seconds