TOPIC:

January 13th 12 years 2 months ago #2023

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
1900 - Kimberley siege day 91 (73%). Ladysmith siege day 73 (61%). Mafeking siege day 93 (42%).

In Kimberley:

Enemy appear this evening to be bringing up a gun into the main redoubt on Carter’s ridge; however I am not certain as to this. The question of forage is being again gone into most carefully, and I am reducing the number of horses with the mounted troops. There are too many spare horses at present. In Cape Police Div No I for instance the horses are the property of the men, but I have had to issue an order that on emergency these horses will be available as the O C Mounted Troops may direct. Major Gorle’s duties being so very important I have decided to appoint Lt Wallace 1/LN Lan Regt as his assistant so that he could take up the duties should Major Gorle be incapacitated from duty at any time.

I sent the following messages by search light this evening:

“From Int K B to Int M D. Jan 13th No 100. In reply to yours of Jan 12th I 57 conclusions from summary of news for the week ending Jan 6th were as follows: Boers immediately concerned with investment for Kimberley. Stop. On North of town seven hundred and fifty men, and three guns. Stop. On West and East of town nil Boer patrols for these sections provided from Kampersdam and Susanna. Stop. South East of town four hundred men and one gun. Stop. On South and South West of town two guns and four hundred men. Stop. Since that date rebels from Kurumen have been passing through Barkly West for Kimberley. Stop. Seventy men who passed through on Jan 6th. I have reasons for believing are now north of Kimberley. Activity reported on West of Kimberley is in my opinion caused by arrival of remainder of rebels from Karumen numbering about 700. Stop. Two hundred and fifty Boers with 58 waggons were actually counted on road to Kimberley yesterday. Stop. That is Boer force actually investing Kimberley consists of about two thousand three hundred men in addition there are probably some twelve thousand Boers in position Schotz Nek, Langberg and South of same; a moiety whom are probably within twelve miles of Kimberley railway station and hence equally available for opposing relief column and for attack on Kimberley.

“From Int KB to Int MD. Jan 13th No 101. In reply yours Jan 12th I 50. Batches four and seven only received and have already been acknowledged.“

“From Int KB to Int MD. Jan 13th No 102. How many maps county North Mud River reached you.”

Messages were received during the night.

“From LOCH, DSO. To Sig Officer, KB. Jan 13th. Look out for our light same place as to-day between ten and noon to-morrow Sunday.”

In Ladysmith:

Between seven and eight in the morning the Bulwan gun hurled three shells into our midst, and repeated the exploit in the afternoon. But somehow he seemed to have lost form. He was not the Puffing Billy whom we knew. We greeted him as one greets an enemy who has come down in the world—with considerate indulgence. The sailors think that his carriage is strained.

A British heliograph began flashing to us from Schwarz Kop, a hill only one and a half miles over Potgieter's or Springfield Drift on the Tugela. It is that way we have always expected Buller's main advance. Can this be the herald of it? Most of us have agreed never to mention the word "Buller," but it is hard to keep that pledge.

In the afternoon I was able to accompany Colonel Stoneman (A.S.C.) over the scene of battle on Cæsar's Camp. His duties in organising the food supply keep him so tied to his office—one of the best shelled places in the town—that he has never been up there before. All was quiet—the mountains silent in the sunset. The Boers had been moving steadily westward and south. They had taken some of their guns on carts covered with brushwood. We had not more than half a dozen shots fired at us all round that ridge which had blazed with death a week ago. In his tent on the summit we found General Ian Hamilton. It was to his energy and personal knowledge of his men that last Saturday's success was ultimately due. Not a day passes but he visits every point in his brigade's defences.

All in camp were saddened by the condition of Mr. Steevens, of the Daily Mail. Yesterday he was convalescent. To-day his life hangs by a thread. That is the way of enteric.

In Mafeking:

Big gun did not fire, enemy very quiet; expect they are running short of small arm ammunition.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

January 13th 8 years 2 months ago #44777

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, January 1900:

No signs of Buller yet, nor of any battle. — Much petty thieving of going on. Fowls, gardens etc are stolen and plundered, even in broad daylight. I generally have a great quantity of peaches at this season, but this year, our visitors have stripped every tree as soon as the fruit showed the first symptom of ripening. When troops take to robbery, it is the fault of their officers. I have half of my land full of cavalry, but they do little in the way of plunder. Major Evans who commands them, is on good terms with us, and to this circumstance, I attribute his men’s good conduct. Of course there are a few shady characters amongst them. Not all our troops are as well conducted as the Natal Mounted Rifles. The regular troops are very many of them communists, and concur in the communist maxim, “property is theft,” that is when the property is not their own, but belongs to their neighbours. We have had many fowls, and nearly all our fruit, stolen. The value of these things is small, but the annoyance of having my most exclusive, retired, and private grounds, over-run by these ruffians, exasperates me. I have kept my land to myself for nearly 50 years and neither visited, nor received visits. In short it was my hermitage. But this war has turned me out. — Robinson Crusoe was not half as badly off as he pretended to be. At first, he may have missed his morning’s shave, and chat with the barber. Also, lost of his beer, and the scarcity of good tobacco would be hard on him. But the scarcity of neighbours ought to have been ample compensation for the loss of these good things. Besides, the best of beer can be made from malted wheat, of which he had plenty, and doubtless his island contained weeds that would have served him for tobacco. — Buller said to be coming on the 15th without fall. May be so, but we have heard such tales before. — Rebels said to be clearing out of Natal. For the last three days, we have had few shells in the town. — We are getting a few now, toward sunset, as usual. — Rebels are commandeering, that is, pressing, every man in the republics, whether English or foreigners, for their army.
Dr David Biggins

January 13th 7 years 2 months ago #51311

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Parade 4.30, stables etc. Rode out to Waggon Hill reconnoitring. A 15 lb shrapnel burst on hill close to some men of the Rifle Brigade who were constructing stone walls etc., the base dropping close to me. Secured the piece and was thankful it did not strike me. Sniping at 3 Dutchman who were after horses - as the range was at least 2,500 yds., couldn’t manage to hit them. “Long Tom”, after 3 days silence, put in four shells without damage.
Dr David Biggins

January 13th 7 years 2 months ago #51312

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Another busy day at Hospital. We have another assistant, came this afternoon, I hope she is good. I am to have an afternoon off tomorrow and shall once more enjoy a good ride. "Long Tom" sent a few shells in today. I have heard of no damage done though. We hear every day fresh rumours about Buller. Tonight they have it that a Flying Column will be in here tomorrow. He is supposed to be today at Potgieter's Drift a few miles this side of Springfield. Uncle George says they have been heliographing in cypher all day today. Now I am off to bed.
Dr David Biggins

January 13th 7 years 2 months ago #51313

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the letters writer by Lt Col Park in Ladysmith

Things have been perfectly quiet all the last three days, and the weather has been fine. We were in signalling communication with part of Buller’s force fifteen miles to the south-west yesterday evening, and there is a rumour today of firing having been heard in that direction last night. It is also said that he has laid a temporary railway out that way to the bank of the Tugela to help in getting his army and stores along, and I really think he is on the move. I quite hoped to hear heavy firing out there this morning, but there has been none. Now one knows he is so near the suspense is getting almost unbearable. Every day one wakes up expecting to hear the guns or to get news that he has really made a start, and day after day goes by like the last. No wonder one gets thin! If I were an excitable person, I should be a perfect skeleton. I am thin and slack enough as it is, and only weigh 9st.91b. though I am well enough. I know that directly the suspense is over and the siege raised, I shall get as fit as ever at once. Three solid months today since the last news I had of you, and it is a terribly long time. I have tried hard to be patient, and trust that all is well with you, but it makes such an aching want to know. If only I could get news, I don’t think I should mind being bottled up here a month longer, if necessary. As it is, I feel at the very end of my patience. Lionel James, the Times correspondent, came up to dinner last night, and very kindly brought me the copy of his last two letters to the Times, containing his account of the attack on Caesar’s Camp and Waggon Hill. It is intensely interesting, and so clear and correct. The little bit about us is most vivid writing, and he couldn’t have said it better in any way. If his letter got through, it will be wired home, and be in the Times of 6th or 7th inst, If not, it may not be in for some weeks. Anyway, look out for it, and if possible, get a copy to keep.

I have got a copy of the Field Force Order with the Queen’s message, as a record, and some others for the Mess, regimental records, etc. Fruit is beginning to come ripe here, and we have very good little figs, and rather nasty little grapes daily, and twice we have had some first-class apples, which were a huge joy. After our long spell with no vegetables or green stuff of any sort, they are a great boon. Twiss came out of hospital two days ago, quite fit. The rest are all getting on slowly, though one or two have slight dysentery and fever. There are over two thousand sick and wounded in the hospital camp now, and it is very unhealthy.

I shall be very thankful when they are all safe out of it. Masterson is doing well, and has no bones broken, though he has eleven holes in him, and must have been hit by at least three bullets, one or two of which went through both legs. I suppose as soon as the line is opened the camp will be broken up, and all those who are not likely to be fit for further work this campaign, will be invalided either home or to Durban to get them out of the way.
Dr David Biggins

January 13th 6 years 1 month ago #57506

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Major George Tatham, Natal Carbineers

Visited posts with Bru de Wold. After breakfast went to Observation Hill and saw Dutch Camps about Brakfontein evidently increasing. Our guns fired first at Buiwan today after which Long Tom gave us a benefit during the afternoon.
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.378 seconds