• Page:

TOPIC:

January 11th 12 years 3 months ago #1982

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
1900 - Kimberley siege day 89 (71%). Ladysmith siege day 71 (59%). Mafeking siege day 91 (41%). Lord Strathcona offers to raise a regiment of 500 mounted men. [Which we now know happened on the 10th]

In Kimberley:

Enemy quiet this morning except that a few men are working at each of the redoubts and small works on Carter’s ridge.

Mr Labram is getting on quickly with the De Beers 25 pounder and I hope it will be ready by the middle of next week. If it turns out a success, it will be a surprise to the Boers at the Intermediate Pumping Station, Kampersdam, Wimbledon ridge, Carter’s ridge, Olifantsfontein, etc where they are out of range of our guns, and we are within range of theirs.

I have had to give the mounted troops an extra ration of horse flesh. They have very hard work. It appear from the doctor’s reports that the diet of Colonial men is chiefly meat.

Enemy quiet during the day. A few men are employed at each of the works (about 12) on Carter’s ridge. There are so few at each work it is hardly worth while wasting shells in firing at them.

There has been a good deal of sniping at our cattle guards at long range during the last few days; luckily we have had no casualties.

The relief column guns have not been heard for some days now. The rain we had a few days ago is said to be bringing on the grass nicely. There does not appear to be much chance just now of driving in any of the enemy’s cattle. They appear to be most carefully kept at a distance and driven to water in such small lots that it appears hardly worth while making a dash for them.

I noticed about 50 men going into Carter’s farm this morning. I expect the enemy is putting the well in order. We filled it up about a fortnight ago.

During the day the enemy fired 4 shells at the Premier Fort from Olifantsfontein, and a like number from Kampersdam at Otto’s Kopje and at No1 Kimberley (search light).

I sent the following messages by search light this evening:

“From Kekewich to Metheun. January 11th No 93. In view increasing numbers and activity Boers round Kimberley consider it very important I should be able to communicate with you at intervals during daylight. Could you arrange for helio station on high ground neighbourhood Graspan or make arrangements for signalling operations between balloon and Kimberley.”

“From Int K B to Int M D Jan 11th No 94. Field is man who escaped from Bloemfontein.”

“From Int K B to Int M D Jan 11th 7 pm No 95. Enemy’s guns round here as follows: one firing cordite at Intermediate Pumping Station, two firing black powder at Kampersdam, one firing black powder on Wimbledon ridge, one firing black powder at Alexandersfontein, one firing black powder at Olifantsfontein Kof; one at Alexandersfontein is three pounder – remainder nine pounders; latter have very superior range to any guns in Kimberley, and are mounted such distance from our defences that they can not only reach our defences but also the town; our guns at Premier only just reach enemy’s position at Oipantsfontein; all other Boer guns out of range of all our guns at offence works. All enemy’s guns mentioned except cordite used against us yesterday; cordite gun however used to-day. Englishman who escaped from Boers about a week ago says enemy only has sixty rounds left for cordite gun; other artillery ammunition plentiful.”

I received the following during the night:

“From CSO to Kekewich. In reply to yours No 96 Jan 11th will send signal troops to Graspan to-morrow twelfth please instruct your signalers to look out during the day. Can you see hills a VALSCHFONTEIN, it bears 245 degrees from you.”

“From Chief Paymaster, to Kekewich, D J 161.Your message P 11 8th inst. Please pay Pearse Russell £15.19.7 pensions first Jan to 31st March. Obtain receipt. Advance £70,000 settled with banks.”

“From Int M D to Int K B 11th Jan I 48. Your 4 of Jan 10th cannot understand same after sentence begins now resting on banks.”

From CSO to Kekewich. Your figure wire from Baden Powell has been partially deciphered. No fresh news; only of a historical interest.”

“From Kekewich, To Metheun Jan 11 A 218 on communications being opened following articles in order named by each Dept will be urgently required. Some of each should be sent forward first opportunity. Supply condensed milk, brandy, lime juice, preserved meat, flour, onions, potatoes, bran, hay, oats. Ordnance requires tents, blankets, waterproof sheets, water bottles, camp kettles, ammunition, boots.”

In Ladysmith:

The enemy was ominously quiet. Bulwan did not fire all day. From King's Post, whilst visiting the new fortifications and the guns in their new positions all about it, I watched the Boers dragging two field guns hastily southward along the western track, perhaps to Springfield Drift, over the Tugela. Then a large body—500 or 600—galloped hurriedly in the same direction.

A sadness was thrown over the day by Lord Ava's death early in the afternoon. If he could have recovered the doctors say he would have been paralysed or have lost his memory. He was the best type of Englishman—Irish-English, if you will—excellently made, delighting in his strength and all kinds of sport, his eye full of light, his voice singularly beautiful and attractive. His courage was extraordinary, and did not come of ignorance. At Elands Laagte I saw him with a rifle fighting side by side with the Gordons. He went through the battle in their firing line, but he told me afterwards that the horror of the field had sickened him of war. In manner he was peculiarly frank and courteous. I can imagine no one speaking ill of him. His best epitaph perhaps is the saying of the Irish sergeant's which I have already quoted.

The ration of sugar was increased by one ounce to-day, the mealies by two ounces, so as to give the men porridge in the morning. For a fortnight past all the milk has been under military control, and can only be obtained on a doctor's certificate. We began eating trek-oxen three days ago. Some battalions prefer horse-flesh, and get it. Dysentery and enteric are as bad as ever, but do not increase in proportion to the length of siege. There are 1,700 soldiers at Intombi sick camp now. A great many horses die every day, but not of the "horse-sickness." Their bodies are thrown on waste ground along the Helpmakaar road, and poison the air for the Liverpools and Rifles there. To-night the varied smell all over the town is hardly endurable.

In Mafeking:

Usual day of shelling.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

January 11th 8 years 3 months ago #44747

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, January 1900:

Fine bright day. No shells so far. Machine guns busy. — A kaffir runner has eluded the rebels, and brought in a big lot of letters for our volunteers. — The Queen is much pleased with her brave army, for its valour on Saturday, January 6th when the rebels attacked Ladysmith. This is as it should be, much better than telling a General he has lost too many men. War is of necessity hard, and cruel, and bloody, and cannot be indulged in, without great loss of life to the troops, and ruin to non-combatants. Bismark and Moltke knew this, and that the fiercer a war is carried on, the sooner it will be over, and the better for all parties. Many more rebels have died of the wounds they got on Saturday. — General Buller is expected tomorrow. Also, there is expected to be a big fight tomorrow. — The loafing men of the town, have been ordered or requisitioned, to go out to Funk-camp, to help in the hospital, where our wounded lie. Funk-camp, is the place where the runaways from Ladysmith; got permission from P. Joubert, to remain unmolested. It is about three miles off.
Dr David Biggins

January 11th 7 years 3 months ago #51226

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Long Tom has not fired a shot today. I am afraid they are up to some mischief, moving the gun or something of the sort. Mama and. Wilfrid a little better. Lord Alva was buried this evening, has died from his wound. Also poor Mr. Gorton. We only heard this evening. He is to be buried at Indombi. Aunt Fanny has been up to see about a coffin being sent out for him. Heliographing from Potgieter's Hill seen for first time today. Buller's Column advancing
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank Kelley

January 11th 7 years 3 months ago #51227

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

On duty again. Roused at 3 o’clock, mounted parade 3.30, usual routine and horse grazing. Raw of P.M.B. and Moody of Newcastle both died of Enteric at Intomba. Lord Ava died during the afternoon and buried in the evening.
Dr David Biggins

January 11th 7 years 3 months ago #51264

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
In memory of Trooper H C Gorton, whose death was mentioned by Bella Craw in her diary. The picture below shows Gorton in happier times, and his QSA, which he never saw, but which was a treasured possession of his mother, who kept it well polished (and therefore somewhat worn).

Brett
Attachments:

January 11th 7 years 3 months ago #51276

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Quite frankly Brett, I think Miss Craw has added even more, to what must rank as one of the nicest single medals to appear on here!

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.434 seconds