• Page:

TOPIC:

January 9th 12 years 3 months ago #1948

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
1900 - Kimberley siege day 87 (70%). Ladysmith siege day 69 (57%). Mafeking siege day 89 (41%).

In Kimberley:

Enemy very active this morning on Carter’s ridge and by the Sanitary pits. Shells were exchanged during the day between Kampersdam and our guns at the search light (No 1 Kimberley). It rained hard during the night, and there was good stead rain up to noon to-day. I am afraid it has come too late to be of much assistance to us – the grass is now all eaten down, and it will not have grown sufficiently to be of much use for cattle for 10 days, by which time almost all remaining cows will have been killed. There may be a few days grazing for the herd near the Lazaretto, but if the enemy should bring guns on to Carter’s ridge the cattle would have to be moved to the other side of town.

Major Fraser reports from Beaconsfield that at about noon he saw about 30 waggons going South through Scoltz Neck. He also noticed unusual; activity under Wimbledon ridge, where the enemy is digging trenches. Enemy also appears to be making additional works near Olifantsfontein Police Station.

I sent the following messages this evening to the relief column:

One received this morning figure cipher addressed to me from Baden Powell and which I cannot decode.

“From Intell K B To Int M D Jan 9th 7 am No 89 enemy very busy yesterday bombarded our defences from Kampersdam and Wimbledon ridge no casualties our side. Boer numbers round Kimberley appear to have increased during last 48 hours certainly enemy is much more active, works being constructed on this ridge, as well as north and South West of town. Englishman employed as despatch rider was captured near here Nov 23rs escaped from Bloemfontein Goal Dec 29th reports 9 British guns captured by Boers at Colenso passed through Bloemfontein 26th Dec for EDENBURG and are now on way to Kimberley, it is said Boer intend to bombard the town with them. Can you say how much ammunition was captured with these guns. These guns said to be accompanied by seven hundred Boer forming last reserve of the Sate. Informant states during last days December about 1400 Free Staters passed through Bloemfontein reported destination LUCKOFF with object of opposing French. Informant met LANHAM now prisoner in Boer hands at Bloemfontein. Lanham was taken through Cronje’s Laagers at Langberg and Scholtz Neck; he estimates Boer numbers at eighteen thousand men, says enemy’s position is very strong, there are miles on miles of trenches surrounded by barbed wire. Informant states no movement of enemy has taken place from this neighbourhood to Luckoff: he is sure he would have heard of it on his journey to Kimberley; this answers your 39 of yesterday. PETRUSBERG reported to be very large depot of arms and ammunition and to be unguarded. Fellow prisoners informed him 550 rebels had joined enemy from Districts Colesberg, Wenterstadt, Dordrecht, Jameston. Native arrived from Barkly West reports second attack by rebels on Karumen has been repulsed. Two hundred rebels from Karumen reported to have gone to Douglas and one hundred and fifty of them passed through Barkly West January 5th en route for Kimberley.

In Ladysmith:

One long blank of drenching rain unrelieved by shells, till at sunset a stormy light broke in the west, and a few shots were fired.

In Mafeking:

From now onwards we may assume a very heavy shelling every day. Two whites and two natives injured while tampering with a hundred pound shell, one white since dead.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

January 9th 8 years 3 months ago #44735

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, January 1900:

It is a very rainy morning, and has been raining all night. All quiet so far. — Rumour says townsfolk, are to be fed on horse flesh, in future. I think it is only a joke, for the military have a very large herd of cattle for slaughter, although they are very emaciated. The idea of eating old horse, is not nice, although a plump young colt might not be amiss. I never tasted horse flesh, but I have eaten hedge-hog, monkey, shark, and porcupine. Hedge-hog is good, the others are not. Monkey is dry and stringy, and needs lots of condiments to make it palatable. The beef we have had lately, is no better than carrion. It is impossible to cut it, for it subsides under the knife like a wet sponge. Beside the herd of cattle, the troops have immense stores of tinned beef, but probably they are keeping these for the march to Pretoria.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hudson

January 9th 8 years 3 months ago #44736

• Hudson
  • Thank you received: 4
Appreciate the effort thanks David, ensures that I visit the site daily.

January 9th 7 years 3 months ago #51192

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Wet morning. Passed a bad night with slight fever - put on the sick list. “Long Tom” commenced firing after breakfast, putting in 2 shrapnels in our lines, one in front of the Newcastle tents, the ground recently vacated by the Richmond Squadron, the other in the road opposite and a few yards from my tent, the ground being so sodden, the segments only dispersed a few feet. I got half of the casing which was nearly red hot, burning my fingers. Tents inside and out covered with mud etc. forced up by the concussion.
Dr David Biggins

January 9th 7 years 3 months ago #51193

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Nothing again today. No news yet of Buller. People are beginning to feel more hopeful though of his being here earlier than we expect. Everything is at famine prices. Eggs 18/- a dozen, Jam 5/- a tin,
16/- for a vegetable marrow, Potatoes 4/- a lb., 4/- and 5/- for a plate of apples. Folks are very kind to us. Ex-patients are continually bringing us presents. An old sailor comes once a week and brings a large packet of sweets for the nurses, beauties from a stock he brought up with him. We had a beautiful basket of fruit sent yesterday, and a Mr. Edmunds brought us some eggs (8). Goodness only knows whose roost was robbed. Mama just the same.
Dr David Biggins

January 9th 6 years 2 months ago #57502

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Major George Tatham, Natal Carbineers

Enemy all quiet. Said to be burying dead.
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.392 seconds