TOPIC:

January 5th 12 years 2 months ago #1899

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
1900 - Kimberley siege day 83 (66%). Ladysmith siege day 65 (54%). Mafeking siege day 85 (39%).
1902 - End of the fourth drive in the N.E. O.R.C.
1903 - Mr. Chamberlain at Pretoria.

In Kimberley:

Artillery firing was noticed early this morning in PAAPD Berg direction. It would appear likely that the relief column is making a cavalry reconnaissance in that direction. There was also some artillery firing in the Spytfontein direction. A number of Mounted Boers were seen during the day to leave Olipantsfontein in the direction of Jacobsdaal.

I arranged for a strong reconnaissance to move out at 2 pm in the direction of Olifantsfontein under command of Lt Col Peakman. It consisted of all the mounted troops available and 2 guns DFA. The enemy was evidently taken unawares as I saw men in all directions over the hills driving in cattle and horses to places of safety. Our artillery opened at the enemy’s position at the Police Kopje Olifantsfontein at 4100, and may have done some damage. Enemy’s artillery did not reply and Colonel Peakman says his advanced scouts reported that they could see no gun in the work and that they think it must have been moved. The Premier Mine also fired 4 shells at the enemy’s works. There were no casualties on our side.

I sent messages by search light signal this evening:

“From Kekewich, To Genrl Methuen. One concerning money for the payment of troops and Standard Bank.

“From Int K B To Int M D Jan 5th 7 pm No 77. Natives have reported to-day that Free State supply depot and Laager Olifants Dam has been broken up and waggons from same reported to have been sent nearer Bloemfontein. New Laager said to have been formed on the Modder River. From knowledge of country, etc am of opinion site of new Laager is at Koodoos Rand vide round sketch Kimberley to MAKOES drift. Can obtain no confirmation of report that 500 F S Boers have gone to LUCKOFF.”

“From Int K B To Int M D Jan 5th No 79. Would appease Public much if you could supply intelligence reports once or twice a week detailing localities in occupation British Troops and those of Boers. Necessary also as natives becoming restless. Truth out of Dutch lies may have good effect.”

I received the following message:

“From CSO to Kekewich Jan 5th. Please instruct Postmaster to acknowledge in code the receipt of batches of telegrams sent by natives by searchlight. Telegram sent to-night numbered one – we will acknowledge yours in same way if numbered.

In Ladysmith:

There was little to mark the day beyond the steady shelling of snipers by the Natal Navals, and a great 96lb. shell from Bulwan which plunged through a Kaffir house, where black labourers live stuffed together, took off a Kaffir's foot, ricocheted over our little mess-room, just glancing off the roof, and fell gasping, but still entire, beside our verandah. I rode up to Cæsar's Camp in the morning sun. It was a scene of sleepy peace, only broken by the faint interest of watching where the shells burst in the town far below.

In Mafeking:

Enemy quiet, with the usual shelling, which is terribly monotonous.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

January 5th 8 years 2 months ago #44717

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, January 1900:

Guns on both sides pretty lively. — It is rumoured Buller has asked White, “how long he can hold out.” The reply was 80 days. This does not seem cheering. In another month, if things don’t mend, there will be neither army nor townsfolk left. Enteric fever and dysentry, are rife all over the shop, and black typhus, and similar diseases, are sure to follow. A body of people cooped up as we are, on scanty and bad food, and filthy water, cannot escape the natural consequence. The ambulances are seldom off the streets, taking sick men from the camps to the hospitals. Our volunteers are allowed neither beer nor wine. It is no wonder they are so unhealthy. — Miss Carbutt is to be buried at 4 o’clock. I am not going to the funeral. I am too feeble to walk so far, and that cemetery has some bitter memories for me.

“Make her a grave where the sun beams rest,
When they promise a glorious morrow.
They shall shine o’er her sleep, like a gleam from the West,
For her own loved island of sorrow.”

She was not from Green Erin, though. — Requiescat in pace. — She was a very nice girl. I think the dry weather is over. For the last week, we have had nice showers. The grass will soon grow again. It has been a very bad season for fruit of all sorts, and I am glad of it, for the very mixed crew that now occupy the town, strip every tree, long before the fruit it fit to eat. I hope it gives them internal convulsions.
Dr David Biggins

January 5th 7 years 2 months ago #51030

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
With the benefit of hindsight, it certainly does seem to have been a most unfortunate decision to have appointed Buller in the first place, he was out of his depth and had been promoted rather beyond his level of competence.

djb wrote: From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, January 1900:

Guns on both sides pretty lively. — It is rumoured Buller has asked White, “how long he can hold out.” The reply was 80 days. This does not seem cheering. In another month, if things don’t mend, there will be neither army nor townsfolk left. Enteric fever and dysentry, are rife all over the shop, and black typhus, and similar diseases, are sure to follow. A body of people cooped up as we are, on scanty and bad food, and filthy water, cannot escape the natural consequence. The ambulances are seldom off the streets, taking sick men from the camps to the hospitals. Our volunteers are allowed neither beer nor wine. It is no wonder they are so unhealthy. — Miss Carbutt is to be buried at 4 o’clock. I am not going to the funeral. I am too feeble to walk so far, and that cemetery has some bitter memories for me.

“Make her a grave where the sun beams rest,
When they promise a glorious morrow.
They shall shine o’er her sleep, like a gleam from the West,
For her own loved island of sorrow.”

She was not from Green Erin, though. — Requiescat in pace. — She was a very nice girl. I think the dry weather is over. For the last week, we have had nice showers. The grass will soon grow again. It has been a very bad season for fruit of all sorts, and I am glad of it, for the very mixed crew that now occupy the town, strip every tree, long before the fruit it fit to eat. I hope it gives them internal convulsions.

January 5th 7 years 2 months ago #51041

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Roused at 5 o’clcok, stables etc. Grazed own and two other horses, after breakfast on the hill over-looking Gordons, saw 3 shells explode in their lines and one beyond amongst the Artillery. Have not heard if any damage was done. Rumoured that Sir Charles Warren with a Column is at Waschbank, and another Column at Acton Homes. Should it be correct our relief will be soon. Heavy firing heard from a distance. A number of the enemy are moving, presumably to join Commandos to intercept advancing columns. Called on Dr. Anderson in the evening. While there, two funerals passed, one a Surgeon Major who died of dysentery after 3 days illness, the other a private in the K. R. R. killed by a shell.
Dr David Biggins

January 5th 7 years 2 months ago #51042

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Shelling as usual. It is wonderful how little notice one takes of them now. You hear one coming overhead a few yards above the roof, and explode fifty yards or so away, sending up clouds of smoke and dust, and yet you go on working as if nothing exciting was going on. A poor man was killed by a shell from Long Tom today, and four wounded at the Royal Irish Rifle Camp on the Red Hill.
Dr David Biggins

January 5th 7 years 2 months ago #51043

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
The soldier killed was 5310 Private F Geraghty, 1st Royal Irish Fusiliers.

He had been engaged at Talana and earned QSA (2) Tal DoL.
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.409 seconds