TOPIC:

January 4th 12 years 2 months ago #1888

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
1900 - Kimberley siege day 82 (66%). Ladysmith siege day 64 (53%). Mafeking siege day 84 (38%).
1901 - Disaster to Commander-in-Chief's Bodyguard at Kromspruit, near Lindley.
1902 - Vallentin's corps cut up at Bank Kop, near Ermelo.
1903 - Mr. Chamberlain meets Lord Milner and Sir A. Lawley at Charlestown.

In Kimberley:

As the enemy convoys are proceeding from the Pan to the North of the intermediate Pumping station via Kampersdam and the old half way house Barkly Rd to their laagers to the South and West. I moved about 50 men of the Town Guard and a det of the Cape Police with a seven pounder to Otto’s Kopje before daybreak this morning. I think this will annoy the enemy and make him uneasy as to his communications, and he may think it necessary to detail a special force to watch Otto’s Kopje.

The enemy on noticing our men this morning in occupation and completing the work opened fire with a black powder gun from Kampersdam, but damage was caused.

During the night Pt Chambers 1/LL Lann Regt a signaler fell from the De Beers Conning Tower, a height of about 70 feet and was killed instantly.

Nice rain during the afternoon; it was much wanted for and Veldt vegetable gardens and fruit trees. I sent the following messages by search light this evening:

“From Int K B To Int M D Jan 4th 7 pm No 74. Kindly inform natives sent to Kimberley that we now hold Otto’s Kopje with armed men. Since Dec 31st natives sent out object reaching Modder River have returned here. Have two convicts LE FLEUR and PAUL MAAGATO who have been residing in Boer lines around Mud River yet.”

“From Kekewich, To General Metheun. Jan 4th 7 pm No 75. Consider coal question very important and recommend most stronglycoal be sent to Modder River any time Railway transport available. It could then be pushed quickly into Kimberley as soon as railway or road communication opened.”

“From Kekewich, To Genl Metheun Jan 4th 7 pm No 76. reference yours 3rd Jan in reply to my 67 and your G 202 will do my best to keep strictly confidential period to which supplies including coal must be made to last but much fear information will leak out. Leading civilians and Supply Committee know amount supplies remaining sure to ask for reasons for still further reduction bread ration. De Beers Board will also want to know reasons for reduction consumption coal. Including all railway coal at present rate consumption have sufficient for seven to eight weeks. Enormous interests are at stake such as flooding of mines. Calculate may have got rid 2500 natives since commencement siege. Possible however many of them may still be driven back into Kimberley.”

“From Int M D To Int K B 4th Jan No I 23. Your telegram 73 yesterday High Commissioner thinks Basutos would be forced to work on Free State Farms. If offer accepted Report 500 F S Boers left Scholtz’s Nel for LUCKOFF. Do you know anything of this.”

In Ladysmith:

No news came in, and it was a day as dull as peace, but for some amenities of bombardment.

The Surprise Hill howitzer tried a longer range. At lunch "Bulwan Billy" made some splendid shots close to our little mess and burst the tanks at Taylor's mineral water works. In the wet afternoon the big gun's work was less dignified. He threw five shrapnel over the cattle licking up what little grass was left on the flat, and did not kill a single cow.

The guides boast that to-day they killed one Boer by strategy used for tigers in India. Two or three of them went out to Star Kopje and loosed two miserable old ponies, driving them towards the Boer lines to graze. A Boer or two came for the prize and one was shot dead.

At night the flash signals from Colenso were very brilliant on a black and cloudy sky. They only said, "Dearest love from your own Nance," or "Baby sends kisses," but the Bulwan searchlight tried hard to thwart their affectionate purpose by waving his ray quickly up and down across the flashing beam.

In Mafeking:

Typhoid has broken out in the women's laager. I suppose we may consider ourselves lucky it is not more prevalent. The usual shelling goes on.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

January 4th 8 years 2 months ago #44676

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, January 1900:

Rebels sent to inquire, “how much longer the Ladysmith army means to skulk in its hole, instead of going out to fight them.” I think they will soon have more than they like of our army. It seems to me, we are gradually enclosing the rebels, and cutting off their retreat. — Rumour says that Burgers the Commandant General, sent to Pretoria for re-inforcements, and was told that there were none. I don’t believe this. — Much dysentry and enteric fever, both amongst the troops, and the townsfolk. — Harry Escombe, formerly premier of Natal, is dead. — Rebels said to be in better health, than we are. That’s pleasing at all events. — Miss Carbutt died about six o’clock this evening, another victim of Gladstone’s cowardice and lust of power. That old ghoul has much to answer for Mark Anthony said truly

“The evil which men do, lives after them.
The good, is buried with their bones.”
Dr David Biggins

January 4th 8 years 2 months ago #44856

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello David,
I have always been fascinated by the events in the Eastern Transvaal in 1902, is there anything you might like to add here?
Regards Frank

djb wrote: 1902 - Vallentin's corps cut up at Bank Kop, near Ermelo. [/i]

January 4th 7 years 2 months ago #50997

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More on Major Vallentin, from The Times, 8 Jan 1902

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

January 4th 7 years 2 months ago #50998

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From page 8 of the same issue:

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

January 4th 7 years 2 months ago #50999

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Dooner adds:

He was killed in action at Onverwacht, Ermelo District, on January 4th, 1902. ... He met his death while pursuing with about fifty men some Boers under Oppermann and Christian Botha, who were several hundreds strong; his party suffered severely, but Oppermann was killed.

Major Vallentin was mentioned in despatches by General Sir George White on December 2nd, 1899, from Ladysmith, and again in the despatch of March 23rd, 1900, LG, February 8th, 1901; also in the despatches of General Lord Kitchener, July 28th, 1901, and of August 8th, 1901, this latter making the fourth occasion on which he was mentioned during the Boer War. He was awarded a brevet Majority for his services.
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.682 seconds