TOPIC:

December 10th 12 years 4 months ago #1637

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
1899 - Kimberley siege day 57 (45%). Ladysmith siege day 39 (32%). Mafeking siege day 59 (27%). Gatacre makes a night attack on Stormberg. Successful sortie from Ladysmith and capture of Surprise Hill.
1901 - Bruce Hamilton surprises the Bethal commando at Trigaardtsfontein.
1903 - Municipal elections in Transvaal.

In Kimberley:

Lt Flynn of the Kenilworth section of the Town Guard, and a small party of men went this morning on to the hill above Felstead farm. Possibly the enemy on this hill left it last night to re-inforce Kamper’s Dam. I instructed Lt Flynn to destroy the well and Dam there, so as to prevent the enemy watering his horses there should he occupy this farm again with view of sniping our cattle guard.

Mr Rhodes is arranging to start a vegatable garden at the Premier Mine. An excellent idea.

I forgot to say that on the 18th instant the enemy signaled to us from near Spitzkof “Any food in Kimberley.” My signalers have orders not to answer their signals.

The strength to-day of the garrison all ranks is as follows: British Troops 578; others (except Town Guard) 1376; Town Guard 2636.

The following messages were sent by me by search light signal during the night.

“From Kekewich. Lord Metheun. Dec 10th No 19. Is there any information you wish me to particularly obtain and send you by signal. Have rumour here that Karumen has been attacked by rebels who were repulsed by Loyalists and Bechuanas. Yesterday made a demonstration North of Kimberley drew out 500 enemy and three Boer guns. Understand you have good guides who know localities all good water. Reported that enemy depend largely on fountains on Bassetts farm Magersfontein for their water. Seizure this source of supply would largely paralyse them judging by own experience which shows that Boer movements around Kimberley have been greatly influenced by water supply.”

Another message was sent about sending up Hilland Paddons Stores from Port Elizabeth and a 3rd:

“Rhodes to High Commissioner, Cape Town. Why not relieve Mafeking from Beira. Whole way through friendly country as against hostile. Should not take more than 40 days.”

In Ladysmith:

Just as we were lazily washing our clothes and otherwise enjoying the Sabbath rest and security at about eight in the morning, "Puffing Billy," of Bulwan, began breaking the Fourth Commandment with extraordinary recklessness and rapidity. He sent nine of his shells into the town, as fast as he could fire them. "Bloody Mary" flung two over his head and one into his earthwork, but he paid no attention to her protests. The fact was, the 5th Dragoon Guards, trusting to Boer principles, had left their horses fully exposed to view instead of leading them away under cover as usual at sunrise. The gunners, probably Germans, thought this was presuming too much on their devotion to the Old Testament, and set their scruples aside for twenty minutes under the paramount duty of slaughtering men and horses. Happily no serious harm was done, and the rest of the day was as quiet as Sunday usually is.

On our side we were engaged all day in preparing a new home for "Lady Anne" on Waggon Hill, south-west of the town. The position, as I have often described, gives a splendid view of the country towards Basutoland and the Free State mountains. It also commands some four miles of the Maritzburg road towards Colenso and the guns which the Boers have set up there to check the approach of a relieving force. By late afternoon the enormous sangar was almost finished. The gun will be carried over on a waggon at night. I watched the work in progress from Rifleman's Post, an important outpost and fort, held by the 2nd K.R.R. (60th). It also commands the beginning of the Maritzburg road, where it passes across the "Long Valley," between Range Post and Bluebank.

The doctors and ambulance men who went out after the brief cavalry action on Friday morning report they were fired on while carrying the dead and wounded in the dhoolies. The Boers retaliate with a similar charge against us in Modder River. Unhappily, there can be no doubt that one of our doctors was heavily fired on whilst dressing a man's wounds on the field.

In Mafeking:

We had mounted sports, polo, and in the evening, church. Heavy rain threatened, but held off. I watched through a telescope a party of Dutch ladies being-shown Creaky, who was put through her antics, being elevated, depressed, levelled in various directions, for their benefit. So, both sides enjoyed themselves after their kind.

General Snyman's harangues and reports of victories (which roughly surmised are-extirpation of the British army—the only two places in South Africa held by the British, being Mafeking and Cape Town—possession of Delagoa Bay, and a fight at sea, where the British were defeated) are now received in silence and cum grano, by his followers, instead of being greeted with cheers, as formerly. Really, I begin to believe there is a limit to the credulity of the Boer, though hitherto I had supposed it boundless. But what can equal their colossal impudence, in invading the suzerain power, annexing Bechuanaland, and proclaiming us rebels. Colonel Baden-Powell has recently organized a troop of old cavalry soldiers, and armed them with lances. They have to-day ridden all round the town, showing themselves in all quarters, to the great astonishment of the Boers, who, I suppose, now expect another little surprise packet, and will be anxious for a few days; as they knew we had no lances with us.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

December 10th 7 years 4 months ago #50488

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

About eight o'clock this morning we were surprised by three shells from the Umbulwana. Aunt Fanny and Uncle George were at early service and say it was not pleasant. I went to the eleven o'clock service with Uncle George and was pleased to see our seat full as it was so terribly hot and I managed to get a seat near the door. This afternoon we had a lot of visitors, had tea under the trees. Colonel Green came with Major Addison, also Mr. Varty, Dr. Currie, Mr. Fanshawe of the 18th Hussars, Mr. Gill of the Artillery, and a 5th Lancer man but I can't remember his name. Major Manifold did not come as we expected. They all enjoyed the strawberries and cream and home-made bread and butter. In fact the 5th Lancer man said it was something to think of for a week. Uncle Bill and Bert also came. Marell Forder brought a most perfect unexploded shell to us to be taken care of. Wilfrid is going to take it to his people as soon as the line is open. The powder has been extracted and it is now perfectly safe. A young man of the name of Miller dug one out the other day and was foolishly trying to extract the contents when it exploded (not the shell). The Doctor told us he was afraid he would never recover his sight again.

Mr. Crompton has just given me the following extracts from some paper of General Methuen's engagements:

Belmont Hard fight, we lost 150 men but took 140 prisoners, amongst killed are General Stopford, Col. Northcote and Capt. Earle.
Modder River We lost 67 killed, 590 wounded, 17 missing. We crossed River with Cavalry next day. Armoured train captured and a lot of stores.
Dr David Biggins

December 10th 7 years 4 months ago #50489

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Relieved at 2, turning in again till 4.30 when we returned to camp through much routine and Church Parade. Off duty for the remainder of day and for the first time was able to attend the evening service at ’’All Saints” which was packed with military and volunteers, the services of both were requisitioned for organist and choir. The service was conducted by Archdeacon Barker (looking much older). Mrs. Barker and two daughters were also there. Banbury was in the choir as of old, singing for all he was worth, much to the discomfort of all present. The Service revived many pleasant recollections. On return to camp orders were given to strip saddles and to sleep in boots ready to move at a minutes notice. Happily not disturbed. Boers put in a few shells during early morning but did no damage - most unusual for them to disturb on Sunday.
Dr David Biggins

December 10th 7 years 4 months ago #50500

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Life went on as usual, I dare say the mood in Ladysmith was often nothing less than dogged, as the convivial afternoon mentioned clearly suggests, but, doubtless, in the minds of so many, the unpleasant reality must have set in some time earlier.
The towns perimeter was, from memory at least, around the fourteen mile mark and split into four sections, section C was the weakest and I think also the longest, from Range Post to Caesar's Camp and of course, Manchester Fort, where a certain Arthur Curran had no intention of moving out.

djb wrote: 1899 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

About eight o'clock this morning we were surprised by three shells from the Umbulwana. Aunt Fanny and Uncle George were at early service and say it was not pleasant. I went to the eleven o'clock service with Uncle George and was pleased to see our seat full as it was so terribly hot and I managed to get a seat near the door. This afternoon we had a lot of visitors, had tea under the trees. Colonel Green came with Major Addison, also Mr. Varty, Dr. Currie, Mr. Fanshawe of the 18th Hussars, Mr. Gill of the Artillery, and a 5th Lancer man but I can't remember his name. Major Manifold did not come as we expected. They all enjoyed the strawberries and cream and home-made bread and butter. In fact the 5th Lancer man said it was something to think of for a week. Uncle Bill and Bert also came. Marell Forder brought a most perfect unexploded shell to us to be taken care of. Wilfrid is going to take it to his people as soon as the line is open. The powder has been extracted and it is now perfectly safe. A young man of the name of Miller dug one out the other day and was foolishly trying to extract the contents when it exploded (not the shell). The Doctor told us he was afraid he would never recover his sight again.

Mr. Crompton has just given me the following extracts from some paper of General Methuen's engagements:

Belmont Hard fight, we lost 150 men but took 140 prisoners, amongst killed are General Stopford, Col. Northcote and Capt. Earle.
Modder River We lost 67 killed, 590 wounded, 17 missing. We crossed River with Cavalry next day. Armoured train captured and a lot of stores.

December 10th 6 years 2 months ago #57479

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - From the diary of Major George Tatham, Natal Carbineers

I omitted to say enemy fired a few Long Tom shells from Bulwan after the return from Gun Hill but not till we had got near town, by which time we observed that Gun Hill was covered with Boers and could not account for our people not shelling them from 4-.7 Naval Guns. Sunday fairly quiet. Some musketry firing from Boers and our men near Observation Hill and Surprise Hill, Hyde's farm. The usual pom-pom fire from northern point of Bulwan at Col. Knox's Mounted Infantry. Boers appeared to be erecting another gun on Gun Hill.
Dr David Biggins

December 10th 2 years 4 months ago #80161

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - Diary of the siege of Mafeking by Edward Ross

Sunday, 10 December

Usual sports and recreation today, the former taking the form of garrison sports. The Cape Police as per usual showing up very well and taking off nearly all the prizes. Nothing at all new to write about today.
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.427 seconds