• Page:

TOPIC:

December 9th 12 years 4 months ago #1636

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
1899 - Kimberley siege day 56 (45%). Ladysmith siege day 38 (31%). Mafeking siege day 58 (26%).

In Kimberley:

I heard artillery firing distinctly early this morning in the direction of Modder River. The guns appeared to be fired at intervals of about 2 minutes.

I am afraid there will be an enormous amount bill for printing. It was very necessary that all the proclamations and notices to 43,000 inhabitants should be made fully known, and I had to arrange for orders and many forms to be printed. It would have been quite out of the question in my opinion trying to arrange to issue orders in the usual way with this curious force they would never have reached their destination. I had therefore to have them printed daily. Myself and small staff have been and are much overworked, with one clerk, and a new office without any books and regulations. Often owing to enemy’s attacks, and urgent matters in connection with the defence it was impossible to do any office work. Under all the circumstances I feel certain that these charges for printing although high will be paid, and that I shall be supported in my action in this matter.

It really looks as if the enemy had been cautioned not to fire so much; they used always to fire heavily when our troops got within 2000 yards of them, now they content themselves with a very few shots and generally at shorter range.

I informed the Mayor to-day when Railway communication is opened all will be granted free passages South and asked him to arrange to register names of those wishing to avail themselves of this opportunity with their destinations.

With a view to ascertaining the strength and position of the enemy and his guns in the direction of the Intermediate Pumping Station, Kamper’s Dam and Otto’s Kopje, and in order to draw from other places and hold as many of his troops and guns as possible in the hope of relieving the pressure on the column from Otrange river I arranged for a strong demonstration at 4 am this morning to be made by the following troops under the command of Lt Col Chamier RA.

6 guns
4 Maxims
40 7th Co RE
3 companies 1/LN Lan Regt
225 Mounted Troops
100 of the Town Guard

Details will be found elsewhere.

About 500 of the enemy were seen and 3 of his guns came into action. I arranged for the force to remain out all day, and to return after dark inn order to deceive the enemy, and if possible make him send for re-enforcements.

I sent the following messages by searchlight signal this evening.

“From Kekewich to Genl Metheun. Dec 9th No 16 Following ordnance Stores required urgently 1000 LM Rifles and half a million cartridges 100 revolvers 5000 cartridges Webley 100 bell tents 1500 blankets 700 waterproof sheets 700 bottles water enamel 200 hayersacks 500 tins mess cavalry – 500 patrol tins with cases 150 camp kettles 600 saddlery sets complete with head collars, and reins, 2000 each of boots ammunition breeches cord or khaki puttees, or leggings, 1500 tunics khaki 1000 smasher hats 600 overalls khaki stop. Above is estimated on urgent requirements police volunteers and light horse and equipment for 300 additional men if required.”

“From Kekewich to Lord Metheun. Dec 9th No 17 CRA requires following to complete 200 rounds for gun Ring shell 400 shrapnel 300 cartridges 700 tubes and fuses in proportion.”

Dec 9th No 18. Received message dated 27th November from Mafeking this morning. Extract begins “Here all goes well ends text in full follows another route stop. If there are any messages for Mafeking will be glad to receive not later than night December 10th stop. Inhabitants here desire to be informed whether free conveyance by rail will be provided for return journey also stop. Cannot make known reason for evacuation Kimberley by civil population as enemy get our newspapers daily would be at once informed. Stop. I can provide carriages for 5 light trains here stop. With reference yours Dec 8th No 22 Rhodes message 7th inst to High commissioner was entirely off his own bat I had nothing to say to it.”

The signalers were asked if I understood Lord Metheun’s message E 29. I directed them to answer:

“Sorry cannot understand E 29 words in it appear to have been omitted every time.”

Signallers also asked as to word “remained” in message 15, and I directed them to answer “few inhabitants have “registered” names.”

In Ladysmith:

A day of furious and general attack. Just before five I was wakened by a shell blustering through the eucalyptus outside my window, and bursting in a gully beyond. "Lady Anne" answered at once, and soon all the Naval Brigade guns were in full cry. What should we have done without the Naval guns? We have nothing else but ordinary field artillery, quite unable to reply to the heavy guns which the Boers have now placed in position round the town. Yet they only came up at the last moment, and it was a mere piece of luck they got through at all. Standing behind them on the ridge above my tin house, I watched the firing till nine o'clock, dodging behind a loose wall to avoid the splinters which buzz through the air after each shot, and are sometimes strangely slow to fall. Once after "Long Tom" had fired I stood up, thinking all was over, when a big fragment hummed gently above my head, went through the roof and ceiling of a house a hundred yards behind, and settled on a shell-proof spring mattress in the best bedroom. One of the little boys running out from the family burrow in the rocks was delighted to find it there, and carried it off to add to his collection of moths and birds' eggs. The estimate of "Long Tom's" shell has risen from 40lbs. to 96lbs. and I believe that to be the true weight. One of them to-day dug a stupendous hole in the pavement just before one of the principal shops, and broke yards of shutter and plate glass to pieces. It was quite pleasant to see a shop open again.

So the bombardment went on with violence all the morning. The troglodytes in their burrows alone thought themselves safe, but, in fact, only five men were killed, and not all of those by shell. One was a fine sergeant of the Liverpools, who held the base of the Helpmakaar road where it leaves the town eastward. Sergeant Macdonald was his name, a man full of zeal, and always tempted into danger by curiosity, as most people are. Instead of keeping under shelter of the sangar when the guns on Bulwan were shelling the position, he must needs go outside "to have a look." The contents of a shell took him full in front. Any of his nine wounds would have been fatal. His head and face seemed shattered to bits; yet he did not lose consciousness, but said to his captain, "I'd better have stopped inside, sir." He died on the way to hospital.

A private of the Liverpools was killed too. About twenty-four in all were wounded, chiefly by rifle fire, Captain Lethbridge of the Rifle Brigade being severely injured in the spine. Lieutenant Fisher, of the Manchesters, had been shot through the shoulder earlier in the day, but did not even report himself as wounded until evening.

After all, the rifle, as Napoleon said, is the only thing that counts, and to-day we had a great deal of it at various points in our long line of defence. That line is like a horseshoe, ten to twelve miles round.

The chief attacks were directed against the Manchesters in Cæsar's Camp (we are very historic in South Africa) and against a mixed force on Observation Hill, two companies of the Rifle Brigade, two of the King's Royal Rifles, and the 5th Lancers dismounted. The Manchesters suffered most. Since the investment began the enemy has never left them in peace. They are exposed to shells from three positions, and to continual sniping from the opposite hill. It is more than a week since even the officers washed or took their clothes off, and now the men have been obliged to strike their tents because the shells and rifles were spoiling the stuff.

The various companies get into their sangars at 3 a.m., and stay there till it is dark again. Two companies were to-day thrown out along the further edge of their hill in extended order as firing line, and soon after dawn the Boers began to creep down the opposite steep by two or three at a time into one of the many farms owned by Bester, a notorious traitor, now kept safe in Ladysmith. All morning the firing was very heavy, many of the bullets coming right over the hill and dropping near the town. Our men kept very still, only firing when they saw their mark. Three of them were killed, thirteen wounded. Before noon a field battery came up to support the battalion, and against that terrifying shrapnel of ours the Boers attempted no further advance. In the same way they came creeping up against Observation Hill (a barren rocky ridge on the north-west of the town), hiding by any tree or stone, but were completely checked by four companies of Rifles, with two guns and the dismounted Lancers. They say the Boer loss was very heavy at both places. It is hard to know.

In the afternoon things were fairly quiet, but in walking along the low ridge held by the Liverpools and Devons, I was sniped at every time my head showed against the sky. At 4 p.m. there was a peculiar forward movement of our cavalry and guns along the Helpmakaar road, which came to nothing being founded on false information, such as comes in hourly.

The great triumph of the day was certainly the Royal salute at noon in honour of the Prince of Wales. Twenty-one guns with shotted charge, and all fired slap upon "Long Tom"! It was the happiest moment in the Navy's life for many a year. One after another the shot flew. "Long Tom" was so bewildered he has not spoken since. The cheering in the camps was heard for miles. People thought the relief division was in sight. But we were only signifying that the Prince was a year older.

In Mafeking:

Pretty quiet; not much shell fire in the morning, but began in the evening, and pretty smart sniping continued all day. I must now endeavour to describe the hospital arrangements, and the noble work clone by the ladies of Mafeking. The hospital arrangements for the defence of the town were made under the supervision of Dr. Haves, Major Anderson, R.A.M.C, and Surgeon Holmden assisting him; Major Anderson being attached to the Protectorate Regiment, which might have been moved at any time. In addition to being under a hot fire the whole of the first fight, he accompanied the ambulance to Cannon Kopje, during the fight there. Bullets whistled round the Red Cross the whole way there and round the stretchers (which he assisted to carry) on their return to the shelter of the railway embankment. There may have been some excuse for firing on the Red Cross during the first fight, on the second occasion there can have been none; probably the Boers considered that we adopted the same practice as themselves and brought up our ammunition in ambulances. Whether this is a valid excuse or not, I will leave my readers to decide. The Red Cross flag, at the commencement of the siege floated over the railway embankment, the first dressing station, the refugee camp dressing station, the women's laager, Messrs. Weil's (whohad placed their house at the disposal of the authorities for the use of the wounded), the convent, which is fitted up as a hospital, and the Victoria Hospital. General Cronje stated, and with some show of reason, that he could only recognize one hospital, and the women's laager. However, prior to this, he had sent many shells through the convent, possibly from its being a two-storied building and naturally a conspicuous mark. Consequently Victoria Hospital, always the main hospital, became the only one used throughout the operations. Dr. Haves was the P. M. O., Miss Hill the matron; and here, on behalf of the garrison of Mafeking, I must endeavour to convey our feelings of deep gratitude and admiration for the work done by this lady, the nurses, and their assistants (the ladies of Mafeking) during the siege. I can testify personally to their devoted care and attention to patients, and Britain may t well he proud of them. One ninety-four pounder went through the hospital, wrecking a ward and killing a little native boy. Shells fell all round it, and bullets were continually hitting it, one, indeed, wounded an already wounded man, but these ladies continued their work undisturbed, assisted to the utmost by the sisters from the adjacent convent, situated some fifty yards a\va}r. These poor ladies having had to abandon their home (which was literally wrecked, and will have to be entirely rebuilt), had to take refuge in a dug-out by the hospital. The hospital arrangements and the attention of Dr. Haves, Major Anderson, and Surgeon Holmden (who was himself sick in the hospital), were beyond all praise. Fortunately the accommodation was adequate, an additional building being erected for Kaffirs. But these for the most part preferred being treated and returning to their own abode. They appear nearly insensible to pain. To give a few instances, one native was shot with a Martini bullet through the lung; he roared with laughter when it was extracted, and will not part with it for anything, and is now all right. A Zulu wounded in the toe, on seeing a man's temperature being taken, when given the thermometer, placed it between his toes, and on being told to put it in his mouth, said he was not hurt in the mouth, but in the foot. Another native was shot through the head with a Mauser and lived; so, indeed, did a railway volunteer, Nelson; the bullet went clean through his head, and he is well and out of hospital. But the natives, though suffering from horrible injuries, seem to regard them lightly. Most of the native wounded are by shells; they are- very careless, but I fancy the numerous casualties are making them more cautious. The unfortunate man killed yesterday was a man named Footman, of the Protectorate Regiment, who was in a room singing a song, " Poor old Joe has gone to rest," to the accompaniment of a banjo, when the shell burst on him, and literally blew him to pieces—two more men were slightly injured, and a chaff-cutter knocked to pieces; but the remainder were providentially untouched.

The worst of sniping is that it consumes such a lot of the ammunition which we may eventually require, though it certainly has a quietening effect upon the enemy's artillery; but I cannot believe the Boers will abandon this place without one more serious attack, when they hear of the advance of our troops, and the remnants of other commandoes join them. They must have one tangible proof of success. So far, beyond doubt, the prolonged defence of Mafeking has resulted in the natives either keeping quiet or rising on our side, whereas had the Boers been successful in these parts, the natives must have perforce sided with them, as their emissaries had strained every nerve to induce them to do, prior to the war. I sincerely trust that the penalties of treason will be rigidly enforced, and that if not death, at least outlawry and confiscation will be inflicted on the Colonial Dutch who have risen, for no man has a right to a vote who has deliberately risen in British territory and fought against Her Majesty. The Transvaal is another matter, though they have raided our territory, burnt farms, and looted cattle and annexed British Bechuanaland—that is a matter for settlement by the Government and not for individuals to suffer. If the Boers are well thrashed, and they have fought well, the two nationalities will soon settle down together. But a Dutchman, or at least the lower classes (which correspond, after all, to poor whites of America with this difference, that they have a lot of black blood in them), cannot understand anything but a good licking. Disarm them rigorously, and give them a just government and they will soon peacefully acquiesce therein. But pack the Hollander-cum-German official back to his own country. South Africa is no place for them. Let them try the South American Republics; with their venal habits, they will be thoroughly at home.

A more heterogeneous garrison has seldom been collected. A mounted corps (the Protectorate Regiment), two detachments of mounted Cape Police, the B. S. A. P., also mounted, the Bechuanaland Rifles, the Railway D. AV., and the Town Guard, all employed in trenches, and the horses only used for orderly work. The Town Guard is composed of every white man or householder, Indian or otherwise, capable of bearing arms, unless enrolled under the Red Cross. They are formed into companies in their own districts, and under their own commanders, Colonel Vyvyan being commander of the whole, and range from boys of sixteen to men of seventy. The younger boys are employed as messengers. The Town Guard have been subjected to severe tests, sleeping and living in trenches, and enduring the hardships of war for two months, without a chance of returning the enemy's fire. A few individuals who are good shots are permitted to go out sniping, but the majority have to keep their fire for short ranges, in case of an assault. They have done their duty well, and been under fire continually. All sorts and conditions of men are there, and a more mixed body it would be impossible to conceive. In any case, they have stood the test well, and surprised myself and indeed everybody by their efficiency. Of the police of both corps, it is impossible to say too much—they are as fine a body of men as you could wish to see, and the work they have done speaks for itself. The B. S. A. P. have had the more opportunities as a body, but wherever the Cape Police have had a chance they have done every bit as well. The Protectorate Regiment I have already described fully, and they also have proved themselves to be the line fighting material I thought them from the first. But when, oh! when, shall we use our horses? The Bechuanaland Rifles, a fine body of men, largely augmented since the commencement of the war, had a mounted detachment under Captain Cowell. The Railway Division under Captain Moore, who has been promoted since the commencement of the War, are also a fine body of men who can turn their hand to' anything, from fighting in a land ironclad to manning their own works. The authorities were warned long prior to the outbreak of hostilities, that more troops were required here. With even two squadrons of cavalry and half a battery we should have been able to keep the Boers at a greater distance from the town, and beaten them occasionally in the open, well away from our lines. Half a battalion of infantry would have done the garrison work as efficiently as the dismounted men of our mounted corps. In fact, we might long ago hare raised the siege by a decisive blow, which we have been, under our present circumstances, unable to deliver. I think I stated this in a letter some six weeks prior to the outbreak of the war. However, I presume we shall soon be out of this now, though we have no news, as for the past fortnight no runners seem able to get through at all.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

December 9th 7 years 4 months ago #50456

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Roused at 5 o’clock. Stables, inspection of arms. Afterwards took 3 horses to graze until 2. Met Gillespie of the N.M.R., who joined me, so was able to have a long chat about Durban folk. One of my horses got away just as I about to return to camp, letting me in for 5 hours extra fatigue. The brute turned up in the lines just before dark. Tired and angry. Dismounted parade for river piquet at 7 o’clock, on second watch from 11.
Dr David Biggins

December 9th 7 years 4 months ago #50457

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

A quiet day. No bombarding until late this afternoon, when three shells came from Umbulwana doing no damage. We hear a man (kaffir) has got through from Maritzburg, bringing two newspapers and I suppose despatches for the General. We hear there have been small engagements at Charlie Lloy's place and Mr. H. Blakers.

We have not heard particulars yet. There is a rumour here that Eric Chapman was killed which is very sad news. Poor delicate Florence. How will she get over this? We also hear Dr. Heathcote is dead - but we can't find out where or from what.

Went for a walk this afternoon and saw our Heliograph working from the hill near Weenen.
Dr David Biggins

December 9th 7 years 4 months ago #50494

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
The last line made me smile, I have to say that I very much doubt if Miss Craw was the only person to notice that particular heliograph, to actually send in plain English, as was quite the norm, staggered me as a boy when I was originally told, absolute madness, encryption was used, but, certainly not as much as it should have been, one assumes, simply because, it slowed matters down!

A quiet day. No bombarding until late this afternoon, when three shells came from Umbulwana doing no damage. We hear a man (kaffir) has got through from Maritzburg, bringing two newspapers and I suppose despatches for the General. We hear there have been small engagements at Charlie Lloy's place and Mr. H. Blakers.

We have not heard particulars yet. There is a rumour here that Eric Chapman was killed which is very sad news. Poor delicate Florence. How will she get over this? We also hear Dr. Heathcote is dead - but we can't find out where or from what.

Went for a walk this afternoon and saw our Heliograph working from the hill near Weenen.[/quote]

December 9th 6 years 2 months ago #57476

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - From the diary of Major George Tatham, Natal Carbineers

Usual 3.30 a.m. stand-to-arms and visit with Royston to out-posts. At daylight few shells from Umbulwan. Newspapers of 2nd and 4th received, by natives. Modder Spruit success news gratefully received all round.
Dr David Biggins

December 9th 2 years 4 months ago #80159

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - Diary of the siege of Mafeking by Edward Ross

Saturday, 9 December

Been extremely quiet all day, no shelling to speak of. Creetje just dropped one at the back of Dixon’s Hotel. No casualties.

Some of our natives went out last night on their own account to try and have a smack at the Boers. They managed to get amongst their cattle and have brought in a very welcome addition to our stock in the shape of 14 head of oxen; they only had one of their men wounded.

Old Creetje said good-night at 8 o’clock.
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.596 seconds