• Page:

TOPIC:

December 8th 12 years 4 months ago #1613

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
1899 - Kimberley siege day 55 (44%). Ladysmith siege day 37 (31%). Mafeking siege day 57 (26%).
1901 - De Wet and Broadwood in action at Quaggafontein, near Lindley.

In Kimberley:

I have to-day received 2 communications from the De Beers Board which have caused me much anxious thought. The correspondence is so confidential and I will not refer to it here.

I considered that a communication I had handed in to Mr Rhodes from High Commissioner was strictly confidential, but Mr Rhodes thought it fit to read it to the De Beers Board. In any case I do not agree that deductions arrived at by the Board are a correct interpretation of the high commissioner’s message.

Above all things I wish to prevent anything getting out that may possibly in anyway affect, prejudice or compromise the military situation, and I have done my very best throughout this siege to work to these ends.

The following search light message was received this evening:

“From Metheun to KEK. Eight December22 Please understand I can give you one and half battalion and Naval Brigade, and you must cut your coat according to your cloth. I am arranging Military defence with you and Rhodes must understand he has no voice in the matter in fact he will have to leave with civilians on relief.”

My No 14 of Dec 7th was then sent by searchlight signal from after the word “consideration”, i e from “another point so concerns defence” to the end.

My message as follows was then sent:

“Dec 8th No 15. Require following vegetable seeds as soon as can be sent viz hundred pounds each of spinach, runner. mustard crop, turnip, radish, spinach perpetual, and twenty pounds each lettuce, endive, stop. Following supplies received meet wants civil population viz five cases of cocoa tea cases Bovril, twenty cases each ham and bacon, thirty cases pure lime juice, fifty cases brandy, hundred cases each table salt and butter, two hundred cases whisky, thousand cases milk, two hundred cheeses, hundred bags of rice two hundred and fifty bags coffee thousand bags bran, thousand boxes tea two thousand bags each mealie meal and Mealies two thousand five hundred packets sugar, ten thousand bails out hay stop. Have about four months supply mealie meal and samp, four months sugar, three months coffee, and three months tea, for all now in Kimberley. Stop. The mealie meal and sugar and coffee now demanded urgently required for surrounding country as I understand want in outlying districts. Stop. The forage and other supplies are required in Kimberley where there are four thousand animals in addition garrison. Stop. Very few inhabitants have registered names leave Kimberley will they be compelled to leave. At present your signals read Premier Mine, would be more convenient to me if you would signal to smaller beam to your left which is my post. Stop. With reference to yours December 7th No 21 repeating No 474 kindly convey my thanks to General for congratulations. Stop. Your repeated message Dec 6th No E 29 received can make no sense after word Buller several words appear to be omitted, word MALAPROP occurring in yours Dec 7th E 21 not in my copy Government telegraph Code book. Kindly give meaning. Stop. Ordinance demands will be sent to-morrow.

I have arranged for 5 trains to be ready to start on arrival of the relief column. I calculate they will take about 130 passengers each.

Major Fraser reports from Beaconsfield that about 300 Boers have occupied Alexandersfontein, and are throwing up a work about 1800 yards from Davis’ Heap. He says also that he saw a traction engine drawing what he thinks was a gun toward it. Curiously enough one side of this work appears to face South, I conclude to be used to oppose the advance of the relief column.

I am glad to say that I have good news of Mafeking. A native arrived to-night with the following message:

In Ladysmith:

Fairly quiet day. The great event was the appearance of a new "Long Tom" on the Bulwan. He is to be called "Puffing Billy," from the vast quantity of smoke he pours out. Nothing else of great importance happened. Major Grant, of the Intelligence, was slightly wounded while sketching on the Manchesters' ridge. Coolies wandered about the streets all day with tin boxes or Asiatic bundles on their heads. Joubert had sent them in as a present from Dundee. They were refugees from that unhappy town, and after a visit to Pretoria, they are now dumped down here to help devour our rations. Some Europeans have come, too—guards, signalmen and shopkeepers—who report immense reinforcements coming up for the Boers. Is there not something a little mediæval in sending a crowd of hungry non-combatants into an invested town?

In Mafeking:

Quiet all the morning; but this afternoon shell fire began, killing one man, Protectorate Regiment, and wounding two.

Creaky only fired one round, our snipers keeping her quiet; but sniping all round made things pretty lively.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

December 8th 7 years 4 months ago #50414

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Great news, and great excitement. Uncle George did not come in last night to say goodnight. We thought it strange but Aunt Fanny went to the stables and saw his horses so thought it was alright. About 5 this morning we were wakened by a great deal of hurrahing all round at the different Camps, and there seemed to be a great deal of firing, both musketry and cannon.

We were hardly out of bed when we heard from Willie and Aunt Fanny that there was good news. Presently Uncle George came and Mr. Crompton, and then we heard the great news. Last night late they (the Volunteers) got the order to be ready as they were going to take some guns. At 11.30, 263 Natal Carbineers under Colonel Green, 211 Border Mounted Rifles under Major Rathman, 14 N.M.R. under Major Evans, 30 N.P. under Inspector Clark, 100 I.L.H. under Colonel Edwards, a few guides and about 20 Sappers, all the Volunteers under the command of Colonel Royston, the whole under the command of Major General Sir Archibald Hunter, marched out at 11.30 to Gun Hill. At de Waal's Junction the column formed up and the different commanding officers were assigned their positions, Colonel Royston proceding to the right with 163 Carbineers under Colonel Green, 100 B.M.R. under Major Sangmeister and the Police under Inspector Clark. The remainder of the B.M.R. with the N.M.R. went to the left to guard the left flank. The storming party consisting of 100 Carbineers under Major Addison, 100 I.L.H. under Colonel Edwards and the party of Sappers, advanced between the two flanking parties, in extended order. On getting past the bottom of the hill they were challenged by a Boer sentry in the rear, whom they must have passed asleep. After challenging repeatedly the Sentry fired, thus giving the alarm to the Boers on the top of the hill. The storming party went forward under heavy fire which appeared to come from under the big gun, to which the I.L.H. replied. The cease fire was sounded, the storming party advanced with a cheer and gained the top, and found it deserted by the Boers.

The Sappers immediately began the work of destroying the guns by removing the breech pieces and destroying the sights. They placed a charge of 4 lbs of gun cotton in the barrel and 6 lbs of gun cotton round the outside, to which fuses were attached. During this operation the storming party advanced beyond the guns and fired a volley in the direction of Lombard's Kop. They were then ordered to retire. When they got down the hill a short distance the charges in the guns were fired. One of the Sappers was sent back with a lantern to report on the damage done. They found the guns thoroughly destroyed. The Sappers brought away a Maxim with them. The whole party then returned to camp where they arrived at 5 a.m. The casualties were very slight. Hone killed, four of the I.L.H. wounded (one mortally) and one of the Staff, Major Henderson, slightly. The men returned all cheerful and thoroughly elated at their success, although footsore and weary from their long tramp, as they walked both out and in. The Volunteers who took part in the operations were paraded and complimented on their good work by General White at 12.30, and he thanked the Volunteers for the gallant manner in which they had helped and supported General Hunter. A party of Leicesters went out at the same time as the Volunteers in the direction of Hyde's farm and returned about 3 o'clock a.m. saying they had seen no Boers at all.

The 19th Hussars went out to Pepworth's Hill (The Station) and found a train loaded up to start. The Engineer in charge of the Column wanted to blow up the train but the Officer in charge, Colonel Knox, refused permission. The party returned after cutting the telegraph wires and burning some kaffir huts. The Hussars then returned to Ladysmith having reported no Boers. A squadron of 18th Hussars, 5th Lancers and 5th Dragoon Guards were sent out at 3.30 a.m. to reconnoitre. They scouted to the right of the line and came under shell fire at the Free State Junction.

When they had proceeded about 2 miles further they were under very heavy fire. They then returned to Ladysmith at 6 a.m. under withering fire all the way, having found out there were Boers there after all. Their casualties being two killed, one missing, twenty- three wounded, most of them very slight, twenty-eight killed and wounded. The Ambulance was fired on and one mule killed.

A curious coincidence in connection with the Cavalry casualties was that a man killed in the 5th Dragoon Guards and in the 5th Lancers and one mortally wounded in the 18th Hussars, were all men of the 11th Hussars attached to these regiments pro tem.
Dr David Biggins

December 8th 7 years 4 months ago #50415

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - From the letters writer by Lt Col Park in Ladysmith

All well, and looking forward hopefully to a very early relief. We had quite an exciting night last night. I was told confidentially in the afternoon that, as the relieving column meant to come in by the south-west side, various little night attacks were to be made on the north-east side to delude the Boers. The regiment was to go out to a low ridge about half-a-mile in front of our old posts, and entrench itself, while General Hunter and about five hundred Natal Volunteers stalked a big hill about two miles further on, where the Boers have three big guns which have worried us and the town a good deal, and we were to cover his retirement, if wanted.

His stalk was most successful. They climbed the face of the hill and found very few Boers, and they were all asleep, except one sentry, who fired once, and was then scragged. The remainder fired wildly for about two minutes and then fled, and Hunter’s party blew up the two heaviest guns with dynamite, and brought away a smaller one, and came in triumphantly at dawn, with a loss of either three or four men wounded. He stopped as he passed through our camp, and said that if he had only had the Devonshire Regiment with him he could have taken the whole of the guns on Bulwana Mountain as well. There are about five of them, and they give us a lot of trouble. Then at dawn all the cavalry went out to reconnoitre, and drew the Boers most successfully. We could see them riding in from all directions, and when a good bunch had been collected, the cavalry scuttled back and all our guns opened on the bunch with shrapnel and gave them a warm time. Now a crowd of them are sitting on the hills apparently scratching their heads over the blown-up guns. I expect it is a nasty jar for them, as they must have given up expecting us to attack from here and were all looking out for Buller’s column, and the moral effect on all our own people will be most excellent. I hear the boy Scafe is much better again, and will probably be back at duty in a day or two, so it is not enteric. Now I must do a sleep, as I didn’t get much last night.
Dr David Biggins

December 8th 7 years 4 months ago #50422

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
I think Colonel Park's account of the Gun Hill raid is typical of that of an arrogant Imperial officer. It would have been a better affair if only the Devons were there to help out the Colonials. At least General White gave credit where credit was due. The Imperial regiments had a chance later to do a better job in a night raid. Did they?

Brett

December 8th 7 years 4 months ago #50427

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
RECONNAISSANCE UNDERTAKEN BY THE 18TH HUSSARS ON 8TH DECEMBER, 1899.
From Officer Commanding 18th Hussars. To the Brigade Major, Cavalry Brigade.
Ladysmith, 8th December, 1899.
At 4.20 a.m. I received orders to take my regiment to the rendezvous, the examining post on the Newcastle road, and at 4.40 a.m. I arrived there and received orders to reconnoitre in a northerly direction, keeping on the left of the 5th Lancers, who were advancing along the Newcastle road, and, if possible, to destroy the telegraph wire and railway. I understood that I was afterwards to more round the west of Long Hill. I ordered one squadron to cross the Orange Free State Railway at the level crossing, about 500 yards north-west of the junction, to keep on my left and close in as we advanced towards the west of Long Hill.
With the remaining squadrons I proceeded along the Newcastle road, crossed Bell's Spruit, and proceeded due north till nearly in line with Limit Hill. At this point we crossed the railway and took up a position with one squadron about 400 yards south of a farm (not marked on map, but situated near a level crossing with white gates) close under Limit Hill. Whilst advancing we came under a heavy rifle fire and also fire from two guns, one a Vicker's Maxim. I had previously sent on an officers' patrol, who reported the enemy in considerable strength in a strong position about 700 yards north of the farm before mentioned. I was anxious to ascertain the strength of the enemy, and opened fire from a good position which I had taken up. The enemy now advanced in order to take up a position on a hill commanding our left flank, so I ordered up my remaining two troops I had kept in reserve to move forward quickly and take the hill first. This they did, and opened fire on the enemy at a distance of about 400 yards, forcing them to retire. It was difficult to estimate the numbers of the enemy, but in my opinion there were about 200 in the farm, and in the laagers round about, and the same number some 1,200 yards north-west of the farm.
At 6.45 a.m. I forwarded a message to the general officer commanding Cavalry Brigade, informing him of my position. Shortly after this I received orders to retire, and I gradually withdrew my troops in open order under a very heavy fire, keeping on the west of the railway, and crossing it at Bell's Spruit in order to avoid the fire from the Vicker's Maxim gun.
My left squadron proceeded to a point about half a mile north-east of a small farm, which is itself half a mile east of Bell's Farm, where they came under heavy fire and were unable to advance any further, the enemy being in a very strong position. A number of the Boers in front of the squadron were here seen dressed in khaki, and it was difficult to tell whether they were friends or foes. There were no casualties in this squadron, but amongst the remaining squadrons the casualties were :— Killed: Two men. Wounded: One officer and fourteen men. Injured: Two men who had their horses shot under them. Amongst the horses the casualties were:— Killed: Four. Wounded: Thirty-one.
I should like, in conclusion, to bring to the notice of the General Officer Commanding the gallant conduct displayed by Captain W. E. Hardy, R.A.M.C., both on this occasion and also at the battle of Talana Hill. During the retreat to-day and after the troops had left the position Captain Hardy remained attending to and bringing in the wounded under a very heavy fire directed at him from several points.
(Signed) E. C. KNOX, Major,
Commanding 18th Hussars.

• QSA, 2 bars Tal, DoL : 4374 Corpl. J. Weir, 18th Hrs: EF
Corporal Weir was wounded in the early morning Newcastle Road sortie of 8 December and died of his wounds the next day.
I acquired the QSA in 1981 at a cost of R205-
Henk
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brett Hendey, sahpa2000

December 8th 7 years 4 months ago #50438

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Forum members
Attached is Gen. White's report to Lord Roberts about the Gun Hill raid. I am the current custodian of the group to then-Lt. D.MAXWELL, ILH (later Capt. D.Maxwell, DSO) who took part in the Raid.

Regards
IL.
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.533 seconds