• Page:

TOPIC:

December 7th 12 years 4 months ago #1608

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
1899 - Kimberley siege day 54 (43%). Ladysmith siege day 36 (30%). Mafeking siege day 56 (25%). Successful night sortie from Ladysmith. French occupies Arundel.
Prinsloo attacks Enslin, but is repulsed.
1900 - Mr. Chamberlain in House of Commons expounds policy with regard to the new colonies. H.L.I, post at Commissie Bridge drives off de Wet.
1901 - Corps of National Scouts inaugurated.

In Kimberley:

I tried to answer at about 1 am as follows, but our signalers could not call up theirs.

“December 7th No 13. Kindly repeat yours December 6th No E29 cannot make sense as read.”

Mr Rhodes is arranging for natives to cut wood round the town. Wood for fuel is scarce, but there is I hope lots that can be cut as suggested by Mr Rhodes.

Strength of garrison 3585 officers and men 1400 horses and mules.

I understand that a large number of 2144 private animals have returned under the proclamation I issued a few days ago ordering that all animals should be registered and De Beers have over 2000 animals.

I am very short of sleep. I have to up now most of the night with work connected with the search light message signals, which are of course most important, and I always arrange to be in the Conning Tower at day break. My staff too are suffering much for want of sleep. There is too much to do during the day that it is difficult to arrange to get any sleep.

This morning I arranged for 3 reconnnaissances. First under Lt Col Chamier of 50 mounted troops to Otto’s Kopje and from thence to near Kamfer’s Dam to reconnoitre that place and the enemy’s works near it. The enemy fired a few shots as our men retired.

From the Conning Tower I make out that one of these works (the strongest) faces in the direction of Barkly West; possibly the enemy thinks the relief column will advance this way.

2nd reconnaissance under Lt Col Finlayson commanding Kimberley Regt of 2 guns DFA and 100 men. Kimberley Regt to cover the making of new work for the protection of the troops forming the cattle guard. 5 of enemy’s cattle were driven in to-day by natives.

Mr Flynn with some natives went this morning from Kenilworth to Webster’s farm and went in to the enemy’s work. Mr Flynn says it is very cleverly made. I hope to be able to arrange to cut all the wood near this work and so prevent the enemy from entering it under the cover of the bushes maybe wish to do so hereafter as to snipe our cattle guards. The grazing near this work is excellent.

I am arranging from to-morrow to place 25 men of the Kimberley Regt in the left rear work (near the Reservoir) for the protection of the cattle.

I am doing my best to pare the mounted troops as much as possible. They have had real hard work in connection with the reconnaissances, cattle guarding, etc and I fear the arrangements for their food are not very comfortable. I understand their cook houses should be improved and I will go into this.

I noticed this morning many more horses than usual grazing near the Intermediate pumping station. There may be a Laager to N.W. of Kampers Dam. I can see no signs of one in the Pan to the North of the Intermediate Pumping station.

I altered the rations of the troops to-day to:

¾ lbs of meat
6ozs of Samp or Mealie Meal. This latter is in lieu of ¼ of meat.

I am afraid the inhabitants are rather short of meat under the present allowance, and there are so many complaints that white and coloured people could only obtain meat at the butchers at the same hour that I published the following hours during which meat could be bought.

6 am to 8 am white people.
after 8 am coloured people.

This will lead to difficulties as the white people will not be able to send their coloured servants to the butchers.

The following messages were received by searchlight signal during the course of the night.

“December 6th No E 29. How many men do you require to garrison Kimberley. Buller suggested half battalion now and one half battalion ---- I remain Kimberley with CKE one day afterwards leave with entire for South Orange River and you cannot anticipate any relief force is in Bloemfontein.”

I tried to send following message during the night, but could not get them through.

“From Kekewich to CSO Dec 7th No 13 Repeat yours December 6th No E 29 cannot make sense as read,” and

“From Kekweich. General Metheun. Dec 7th No 15. Your repeated message Dec No E 29 received can make no sense after word Buller several words appear to be omitted.”

“Received from CSO To Rhodes. Following message from High Commissioner begins your message about coal dynamite and supply for natives. Latter have been provided. As regards coal and dynamite these must wait guns troops and supplies for troops and necessary civil population have been got in and military operations connected with relief completed important to get away as many people as possible to economise supplies if communication interrupted.”

“Received From CSO To Col Kekewich. December 7th E22 following from CSO. Lines of communication begins December 6th. Can you please ascertain from Kekewich if he requires for population of Kimberley coffee sugar salt and for natives mealies.”

“Received Dec 7th21 following received from Governor in Chief begins 474 Please communicate freely with Kekewich Kimberley. General congratulates you him on your successful defence and

result of the sorties you have made. He deeply regrets the loss sustained by Scott Turner’s death but considers that casualties have been few when compared with what you have achieved.”

I tried to signal as follows but the message could not be got through.

“ From Kekewich to CSO Dec 7th No 16 – word MALAPROP occurs in your message Dec 7th E 21. Not in my government Telegraph code book. Kindly repeat enclair.”

“Received. Following received from Cape Town begins No 474. please communicate all information concerning successful defence and (on that subject) result of sorties you have made He deeply regrets the loss sustained by Scott Turner’s death. But considers that casualties few when compared with what you have achieved.”

My signalers then commenced following long message (which I hoped they could be able to get through early in the evening) they could only send as far as word “consideration” i e “Recommend to your serious consideration.”

“From Kekewich to General Metheun. Dec 7th No 14. kindly forward following message by wire from Rhodes to High Commissioner begins. Have seen proposed plan for defence here after relief Kimberley by Metheun, I consider it most inadequate I ask you to sanction at once enrolment of 2000 volunteers in Colony of course force to be under military management and control but de Beers will bear all charges id est for reinforcement arms pay clothing.

Force should be raised at once so as to be sent through during short period railway likely remain open. In case proper defence supplies coal and dynamite not given me I must close down De Beers dismiss our white men, and hand over to military authorities 13,000 at present under control in compounds for whom already no work. This means £4000 per diem. Wages will cease and hence support of 4000 women and children message ends”-

“In light latest information proposed increase Imperial garrison here will suffice only if enemy now round Kimberley and South and East of it heavily defeated by you before your force returns to Orange River. Native around here from Olipants Dam Laager says talk Boers is that their great effort West of Dra Kensburg Mountains will be prevention arrival relief column in Kimberley. This agrees with opinions formed weeks ago by residents here long standing hence recommend to your serious consideration. Another point so far concerns defence Kimberley is that hitherto have had mostly Free Staters to deal with but when you return Orange River may have more than double numbers against me and then Transvaalers will form majority in a strong force they may act more boldly and may even bring heavier guns. Perimeter of our defences is about 12 miles hence a very determined effort on part Boers may break my line of defence. Enemy has numerous signalers round here. They commenced signaling to us again to-day Morse code. Any news your successes capture Jacobsdaal would have pacifying effect on towns people in view many wild rumours current here. Kindly inform Chief of Staff by wire Imperial officers and NCOs much required for irregular corps here.”

55 cattle were driven in to-day by natives from the country between the Intermediate pumping station and Kamper’s Dam.

2 cyclists went out this afternoon and managed to get within about 400 yards of Alexandersfontein – they only saw about 3 Boers at the village.

I have increased the amount to be paid for cattle driven in by natives from 20/- to £2 each.

I hope the cold storage will be ready in 2 days time, and I can then if cattle are driven in, kill and store them at once.

The 12 maxims are at present distributed as follows:-

RA (2 horses driven from seat)
1 at Botanical Gardens; 1 at Premier Mine =
Cape Police (4 horses near horses ridden).
1 Smith Drift rd Barrier Emplacement
1 Circular Rd Emplacement
1 Mounted Camp

De Beers Maxims (2 horses driven from seat)
2 armoured train
1 crusher
1 Reservoir
1 No 1 Search light Kimberley
1 Botanical Gardens

1/L North Lan Regt
1 at Sanatorium

I am using the powder from the enemy’s shells captured on 28th November for our guns. I should like to sell these shells for the Refugee Fund. It is thought they would fetch as much as £2 each here.
[/i]
In Ladysmith:

To-day the melodrama has begun in earnest. "Long Tom" and four or five smaller guns from Bulwan, and a nearer battery to the north-west, began hurling percussion shell and shrapnel upon the Naval batteries at half-past seven. Our "Lady Anne" answered, but after flinging shells into the immense earthworks for an hour or two without much effect, both sides got tired of that game. But the Boer fire was not quite without effect, for one of the smaller shells burst right inside the "Lady Anne's" private chamber and carried away part of the protecting gear, not killing any men. Then "Long Tom" was deliberately turned upon the town, especially upon the Convent, which stands high on the ridge, and is used as a hospital. His shells went crashing among the houses, but happily land is cheap in South Africa still, and the houses, as a rule, are built on separate plots, so that as often as not the shells fall in a garden bush or among the clothes-lines. Only two Indian bearers were wounded and a few horses and cattle killed. Things went pretty quietly through the morning, except that there was a good deal of firing—shell and rifle—on the high ridge south-west, where the Manchesters are. About two o'clock I started for that position, and being fond of short cuts, thought I would ford the river at a break in its steep banks instead of going round by the iron bridge. Mr. Melton Prior was with me, for I had promised to show him a quiet place for sketching the whole view of the town in peace. As we came to the river a shell pitched near us, but we did not take much notice of it. In the middle of the ford we took the opportunity of letting the horses drink, and they stood drinking like the orphan lamb. Suddenly there was something more than the usual bang, crash, scream of a big shell, and the water was splashed with lumps and shreds of iron, my hat was knocked off and lay wrecked in the stream, and the horses were dashing this way and that with terror. "Are you killed?" shouted Mr. Prior. "I don't think so," I said. "Are you?" And then I had to lash my horse back to the place lest my hat should sail down-stream and adorn a Queen's enemy. There is nothing like shell-fire for giving lessons in horsemanship.

The Manchesters had been having an uncomfortable time of it, and I found Sir George White and his staff up on their hill. As we walked about, the little puffs of dust kept rising at our feet. We were within rifle-fire, though at long range. Now and then a very peculiar little shell was thrown at us. One went straight through a tent, but we could not find it afterwards. It was a shell like a viper. I left the Manchesters putting up barbed-wire entanglements to increase their defence, and came back to try to find another runner. The shells were falling very thick in the town, and for the first time people were rather scared. As I write one bursts just over this little tin house. It is shrapnel, and the iron rain falls hammering on the roof, but it does not come through. Two windows only are broken. Probably it burst too high.

In Mafeking:

Lady Sarah Wilson arrived this morning, having been exchanged for Viljoen who had been sentenced to six months' imprisonment before the war began. He, I fancy, will look fatter and in better condition than his friends outside, and did not appear over keen to join them. This plucky lady was received with loud cheers when she entered the town; she has indeed had a bad time, and everybody was greatly relieved to see her back safely, though perhaps this is not quite the best place that I know of to have a villa residence. As she drove up to her house the firing commenced again—they did not waste much time. Heavy shelling continued after dark. Three men killed, eight wounded.

Apropos of shells, I presume in the course of his life Colonel Baden-Powell has had many curious communications, but certainly none more curious than this one. The other morning a Kaffir picked up an unexploded five-pound shell; when the fuse was unscrewed, instead of a charge' the following missive was found:—

" Mr. Baden-Powell, Pleas excuse me for sending this iron messenger i have no other to send at Present. He is rather exentric but vorgive him if he does not behave well i wish to ask you not to let your men drink all the whisky as'i wish to have a drink when we all come to see you. cindly tell Mrs. Dunkley that her mother and vamily are all quite well.
I remaijn, Yours trewly, a Republican."

I am afraid the ingenious gentleman in question will have to wait a while for his whisky.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

December 7th 7 years 4 months ago #50412

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Entry for the 7th and 8th December

Watch 2.30 to 3.30, 6.30 to 8.30, 2.30 to 6.30. Stray musketry firing on Umbulwana at daybreak, also in direction of Road bridge. Had just turned in for the night 9 o’clock, thinking we should be undisturbed until 5 o’clock next morning, having come off 24 hours duty, when an order went round that evey man was to turn out immediately with rifle, revolver, water bottle, bandolier and light foot gear, and fall in dismounted. Moved off about 11 o’clock making for the Umbulwana in happy ignorance of what we were expected to do. The first intimation of what was going on was when we came up to the I.L. Horse, who were lying by the road. One of the men told me that 100 each of their men and Carbineers had to take the guns (which had been teasing us for the last month) on Gun Hill just under Lombard’s Kop. As we approached the Dutch lines we moved along very cautiously, and our walk was then reduced to creeping and crawling. Formed up in skirmishing order and moving in broken country made it most difficult. Men were falling about all over the place, especially when it came to negotiate the dongas. We eventually gained the bottom of Gun Hill without resistance. It was about 1.30 so we took 2 and a half hours to cover the 4 miles. Here we laid down ready loaded for an attack, within an hour we heard a Dutchman challenging our men 3 times, “Wie Kom daar” (Who comes there), and then a shot, followed by a terrific roar. Cheer upon cheer from our men plainly told us they had gained the summit. The firing soon became furious mingled with continuous shouting. The flashes from the rifles lighted up the hill and looked like fireworks. 5 minutes from the time our men got on top, 3 distinct explosions followed, a party of some 20 Royal Engineers having blown up the two guns. Although the bullets came whizzing about us below, no one was hit. The attack was planned by Gen. Sir Archibald Hunter, who led the attack, and as it proved, most successfully. From what I could learn from our fellows there were only some 20 Boers on top, but at least 7000 in the vicinity below. The achievement can only be characterized as most audacious in which we had extraordinary luck. I suppose the world will club us heroes, and in fact, a Boer told one of our doctors that he considered every man who took part in the storming should have what the English call a V.C.! I regard the affairs as one of absolute luck as we might have been cut to pieces had they known about it. Our loss was 1 killed and 5 wounded. Retired at 3 arriving at camp 4.30. After coffee, stables, breakfast, we got the little sleep possible in the intense heat. At 11.30 were warned for parade as we turned out the night previous. At noon formed up in a 3 sided square, when Gen. Sir G. White rode up and addressed us, highly complimenting us on our men when on the hill adopted a splendid ruse shouting “At them boys with bayonets! Give them cold steel!” which made the Boers clear like mad. Free from duty remainder of day and were told we need not turn out on early parade next morning having done some 30 hours continuous duty without sleep. Hussars and Lancers had a narrow escape during the morning. They were out reconnoitring and were caught between 3 hills when the Boers poured in volley after volley amongst them. The men galloped for all they were worth and got off with the loss of 5 men killed, 20 wounded and 30 horses killed. Hussars set fire to Pepworth’s homestead which the Boers had used for Com. Stores. Heavy shelling from Umbulwana. One shell fell close to me as I was returning from a bathe in the river.
Dr David Biggins

December 7th 7 years 4 months ago #50413

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Nothing much to note today. Three of the Boer guns playing on the town today. One shell went through the verandah of a house next to Cousin Bert's. A boy living in the house got a bit of a scare. He was in one of the rooms at the time. A fearfully hot day and the flies simply awful. The General has cancelled the order lights out at 8.30 so we are happy again.
Dr David Biggins

December 7th 6 years 2 months ago #57474

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - From the diary of Major George Tatham, Natal Carbineers

Shelling pretty hot from Boer guns. General Hunter came to Royston during afternoon and arranged about Gun Hill attack. He, in command, took 650 of following:- Carbineers and some N.M.R., B.M.R., and Natal Police, 200 in all, with Royston on right flank. General Hunter with 100 Carbineers under Major Addison and 100 I.L.H. and some Engineers, centre, and Col. Rethman with about 200 men, left flank. Hunter and his 200 mounted middle ridge of Gun Hill, surprised the Boer picket and passed over it with a little firing and only 5 wounded men to us, pushed on to crest of hill, Carbineers lining Hill to the right and I.L.H. to left while guns were exploded. The gratifying result was that one Long Tom and one twelve pounder were destroyed and a small Maxim was taken. Boers appear to have fled. This was all well and properly arranged and carried out by General Hunter in the most creditable way. We left town on foot about 11 p.m. and returned next morning about 6 o'clock. I went as Royston's guide to the right into the Lombard's Kop Nek. Some mounted men of Imperial Troops went along Newcastle Road but were not very successful, in fact no one could make out what they were expected to do. They had very narrow escapes of being shot on their return after daylight.

The Gun Hill men were all paraded at 12.50 and thanked by General White and congratulated. He also said he trusted that we should soon be released. The storming took place about 5 a.m.
Dr David Biggins

December 7th 2 years 4 months ago #80107

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - Diary of the siege of Mafeking by Edward Ross

Thursday, 7 December

Enemy opened the ball this morning by giving us five rounds before 7 o’clock. At this time our white flag went out taking with them a prisoner named Viljoen whom we had in the jail here waiting trial for enticing the natives in the P.T. to revolt against the British. They went out writh a cart and 4 mules and then delivered up their prisoner and received in exchange Lady Sarah Wilson, who drove back through the town to Weil’s redoubt where she is now staying. The men gave her a good cheer as she passed through the town; we hope to hear some news from her later on.

There is no sign of the relief squadron, we now call them the "crawling squadron”.

The Boers sent in 5 more big shells almost immediately after Lady Sarah had arrived, with an addition also of a few seven-pounders and their 1pound Maxim.

This afternoon our ambulance waggon went out to the enemy’s lines taking a Dutchman and his wrife whom we had held as prisoners, and exchanged them with the enemy for a railway man and his wife named Crament who had been captured by the enemy on the railway line at Pitsani.

We find out now the reason of [r/V] all the white flags the other day was the arrangement of these exchanges. No sooner had the ambulance waggon returned than the enemy again commenced bombarding; their guns must have now better ammunition as they are doing far more damage than previous. Two large shells this afternoon burst in front of a chemist shop in the Market Square, destroying the whole of the shop and cutting a native all to pieces; parts of him were found laying about the road. Two of B.P.’s staff (Tracey and Wilson) were in the shop at the time, but very luckily escaped being hurt. Some of the pieces of these shells after bursting seem to travel round corners, one 94-pounder burstring] in the Market Square. A small piece of it seemed to come round the corner of the street, passed through the door of the Mafeking Hotel bar and into the head of a man standing at the counter, Corporal Frankish of D. squadron P.R. who was killed on the spot. Another native was also killed today, a piece of a 94-pounder literally cutting him in half.

From 5.30 to 6.30 this evening was one of the hottest bombardments we have yet experienced, old Creetje’s seven-pounders, 12-pounders, onepound Maxims and hundreds of bullets, etc., playing round the town, everybody of course laying very low, and no casualties occurred.

The supposed fire-balls were again seen last night.

Three of the P.R. men were shot last evening at Currie’s sniping post by Mauser bullets, one of them since dead.
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.368 seconds