• Page:

TOPIC:

December 3rd 12 years 5 months ago #1591

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
1899 - Kimberley siege day 50 (40%). Ladysmith siege day 32 (26%). Mafeking siege day 52 (23%).
1900 - De la Rey captures convoy at Buffelspoort.

In Kimberley:

I noticed a good many cattle being driven from the Pan to North of the Intermediate pumping station in the direction of the Orange Free State.

Enemy noticed this morning for the first time making 2 small works on ridge to West of Sainsbury pits.

Lt Col Chamier took out 300 mounted men and 2 guns DFA near the Reservoir, and made a small work to cover the cattle ground. Some of the enemy were seen about 1200 yards off. Enemy appears to be making additional works near the redoubts to West of Lazaretto.

I have not had time to work out exact numbers, but I understand that up to date over 1000 shells have been fired by the enemy into the town and suburbs. This is not taking into account those fired by them at our men during reconnaissances and sorties.

As I considered it most necessary Lord Metheun should be fully informed as to matters affecting the military situation I sent message to him in code by searchlight this evening giving information as to our supply of the following:

50 days breadstuffs
40 days meat
30 days forage
Water ample and good
Ammunition slight expenditure of

And added that enemy had ceased shelling the town.

I did not get an answer to this but I received the following by searchlight signal in code.

“Propose to leave with you in Kimberley remaining ½ battalion North Lan Regt and Naval guns and Naval Brigade. Will this do for you.”

I tried to get the following answer through in code but I am sorry to say I failed to do so:

“Consider interchange of views necessary before definite answer can be given to your message of the the 3rd No 40. am in absolute ignorance Military situation South Africa. Last intelligence report received from Cape Town dated 7th November.”

Messages of very minor comparative importance as to the Soldiers and Sailors Families Association Subscriptions, number of killed and wounded, are being received which take up the valuable time of the signalers, and in consequence very important messages cannot be signaled.

Later on I received a message which I am sorry to say is not quite clear from CSO Cape Town acknowledging the receipt of telegrams.

About 40 natives have been registered of men who are willing to joina corp of scouts. I only wish I had arms and equipment for them, if so, I would start this corps at once.

In Ladysmith:

Long before sunrise I went up to the examining post on the Newcastle road, now held by the Gloucesters instead of the Liverpools. The positions of many regiments have been changed, certain battalions being now kept always ready as a flying column to co-operate with the relieving force. Last night's movement appears to have been a kind of rehearsal for that. It was also partly a feint to puzzle the Boers and confuse the spies in the town.

Signalling from lighted windows has become so common among the traitors that to-day a curfew was proclaimed—all lights out at half-past eight. Rumours about the hanging and shooting of spies still go the round, but my own belief is the authorities would not hurt a fly, much less a spy, if they could possibly help it.

Nearly all day the heliograph was flashing to us from that far-off hill. There is some suspicion that the Boers are working it as a decoy. We lost three copies of our code at Dundee, and it is significant that it was a runner brought the good news of Methuen's successes on Modder River to-night. But at Headquarters the flash signals are now taken as genuine, and the sight of that star from the outer world cheers us up.

At noon I rode out to see the new home of the 24th Field Ambulance from India. It is down by the river, near Range Post, and the silent Hindoos have constructed for it a marvel of shelter and defence. A great rampart conceals the tents, and through a winding passage fenced with massive walls of turf you enter a chamber large enough for twenty patients, and protected by an impenetrable roof of iron pipes, rocks, and mounds of earth. As I admired, the Major came out from a tent, wiping his hands. He had just cut off the leg of an 18th Hussar, whose unconscious head, still on the operating table, projected from the flaps of the tent door. The man had been sitting on a rock by the river, washing his feet, while "Long Tom" was shelling the Imperial Light Horse, as I described yesterday. Suddenly a splinter ricocheted far up the valley, and now, even if he recovers, he will have only one foot to wash.

A civilian was killed yesterday, working in the old camp. The men on each side of him were unhurt. So yesterday's shelling was not so harmless as I supposed.

Early in the afternoon I met Mr. Lynch, known as one of the Daily Chronicle correspondents in Cuba last year. He was riding his famous white horse, "Kruger," which we captured after the fight at Elands Laagte. One side of this bony animal is dyed khaki colour with Condy's fluid, as is the fashion with white horses. But the other side is left white for want of material. Mr. Lynch showed me with pride a great white umbrella he had secured. Round it he had written, "Advt. Dept. Ladysmith Lyre" In his pocket was a bottle of whisky—a present for Joubert. And so he rode away, proposing to exchange our paper for any news the Boers might have. Eluding the examining posts, he vanished into the Boer lines under Bulwan, and has not re-appeared. Perhaps the Boers have not the humour to appreciate the finely Irish performance. They have probably kept him prisoner or sent him to Pretoria. On hearing of his disappearance, Mr. Hutton, of Reuter's, and I asked leave to go out to the Boer camp to inquire after him. But the General was wroth, and would not listen to the proposal.

In Mafeking:

Sunday. As our parties were digging late Saturday night and early this morning in the vicinity of the Boer trenches the Boers sent in a flag this morning to ask if we meant to fight on Sunday. We sent back to say no. I rode round the western outpost from the outside and was much struck by the admirable way Major Godley had laid out the trenches; they were practically impregnable. I also went up to Cannon Kopje which, with infinite difficulty, has been much strengthened daily, or, I should say, nightly. We then had sports, tilting at the ring, tent-pegging, &c, two pony races, and a polo match, and all the rank and fashion of Mafeking assembled to partake of Colonel Hore's and the Protectorate Regiment's hospitality, and to "listen to the band." The only thing that has been thoroughly levelled in Mafeking is the Polo ground, which is very fair, and the ponies surprisingly good. Practising polo, and mounted sports, however, have been forbidden during week days, as it draws so much fire. Indeed, Creaky elevated her muzzle once during the afternoon, which caused a certain amount of sensation, as we do not exactly trust our foes, and one shell in the crowd would have secured a good bag. It was probably to show her to the Dutch ladies who drive out to their camp on Sunday. These ladies have ceased watching the effects of the shells on the town since long range volleys began. Church in the evening. Sunday is indeed a welcome fillip all round, particularly for the poor women and children, who are confined to the laager all the week; eleven of the latter have died since the commencement of the siege. There are services for all denominations, every Sunday; but I think the evening ones are the more plentifully attended.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

December 3rd 7 years 5 months ago #50341

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Inspection of arms 9.45, followed by Church Parade. Intense heat, the thermometer showing 102 in the shade. On dismounted piquet on river bank 8.30 to 11. Signalling by flashlight going all night.
Dr David Biggins

December 3rd 7 years 5 months ago #50342

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Quiet day. Went to Church, very crowded and hot. Went for a ride this afternoon to the top of 'Wagon Hill, with Mr. Nourse Varty. Saw about 200 Boers about two miles away going in the direction of Colenso from Acton Homesway. The first I have seen of the enemy except prisoners. Mr. Normand, Mr. Gorton, Mr. Cecil Molyneux, Mr. Fred Tatham and Captain Adams came to see us this afternoon. The Archdeacon gave out by command from the General this morning all lights to be out at 8.30.
Dr David Biggins

December 3rd 6 years 2 months ago #57464

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - From the diary of Major George Tatham, Natal Carbineers

Quiet all day. Called up by Major Altham to identify William Wright Mason suspected of signalling to enemy, dismissed.
Dr David Biggins

December 3rd 2 years 5 months ago #80048

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - Diary of the siege of Mafeking by Edward Ross

Sunday, 3 December

Never in the annuals of our lives have we looked forward to Sunday with such a degree of interest as we do at the present time, and I sincerely think that a discount of at least 5 per cent can be allowed off the Boers’ misdeeds on account of their kind Sunday behaviour during the siege of Mafeking.

Today has been one long day of recreation and pleasure not only to our troops but to the ladies and men of the town. The ladies especially must appreciate the boon, they are allowed to leave their almost pestilential residence called the "women’s laager”, and take their walks abroad, either up into the village or to the sports ground.

The sports today commenced early in the afternoon. A promenade concert took up our attention, the band playing excellently off and on during the whole afternoon.

I went out early this morning with my camera, right up to the brickfields, and managed to get a snapshot of the Boer lines, distance about 120 yards; I also got a snapshot of their flag, hoisted near the edge of their outposts.

Lots of bets have been won and lost about the relief troops leaving about the first of this month. Personally I won a case of fiz from Stent, but could only get four bottles of it.

All sorts of rumours are flying about the town regarding the relief column having left Kimberley for our assistance.1 Natives tell us that Methuen has been fighting heavily at Fourteen Streams.

We hear today from the Boers’ head laager on the west that Lady Sarah Wilson is a prisoner in the hands of the enemy, and that they wish to exchange her for some of their friends that we have in our jail here.

The enemy sent in a white flag today stating that our men in the outpost trenches were working, and as this was against our Sunday arrangement, if the men did not desist they, the enemy, would commence shelling. It is understood that B.P. sent out saying it was a mistake and done without his orders. With this explanation the enemy seemed satisfied as they have given us a nice quiet day.

It is positively stated on excellent local authority that the Boers’ plan of campaign is to occupy the whole of their west frontier, and the signal for the colonial Boers to rise is the capture of Mafeking; they will then proceed north and take Bulawayo, thus holding the entire country north of the Vaal. This I suppose was the cause of Cronje’s lying proclamation that the town was in flames and we were all slaughtered. But the stubborn resistance of Mafeking has necessitated the altering of all their plans, because they could not remove their men from outside us without leaving small commandos that could be cut off, and that [i.e. because] they had no sufficient force to carry out all their intended arrangements.

We have just heard from the natives that the Crocodile river is fast rising. If so, and the northern commando of the enemy do not hurry up they will be cut off, and be made short work [of] if the column gets near enough.

We also hear today that Cronje junior, the son of the old Fighting General, is on his way here with seven more guns, and intends at any hazard to take Mafeking, so we are all looking forward to a very hot time. Where, Oh where is that big column?
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.413 seconds