TOPIC:

December 2nd 12 years 5 months ago #1590

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
1899 - Kimberley siege day 49 (39%). Ladysmith siege day 31 (26%). Mafeking siege day 51 (23%). Boers occupy Dordrecht.
1900 - De Wet engages Knox at Goed Hoop.

In Kimberley:

We got into communication with the relief column by signal search light late this evening, and I received a message as follows in cipher. The force appears to be at Modder River.

I tried to send a reply, but could not manage to call them up.

The message was to the effect that the force is coming in a certain direction and will probably arrive here on the 7th inst.

13 of the enemy’s cattle were driven in by natives to-day.

Grazing is still a great difficulty; some must be found; I hope the cattle have not gone off much in weight during the last week.

A number of the enemy (estimated at 300) came from the Pan to North of the Intermediate pumping station early this morning; some of them moved towards the railway at Dronfield, and are I expect intent on causing further damage to it.

I am trying the experiment of sending 100 animals daily to feed on the weed in De Toits Pan.

I have to-day wired to the following effect to Cape Town “Referring to your telegram No. 134 of 1st November, owing to grazing difficulties, cattle have gone off so much in weight that I have now remaining, including Milch cows only thirty days meat for population civil and military. In addition to above and including reserve supply have ten days preserved meat for population civil and military.

Am endevouring to construct cold storage for 150 carcasses, so as to kill before cattle decrease further in weight. This cold storage would probably be useful to store frozen meat sent in from Cape Twon when communications are opened. Have so arranged breadstuff as to last 160 days more. Conclude necessary arrangements have been made for food supply generally of this place; average daily consumption meat in ordinary times is about eighteen thousand pounds.”

The above information as to supplies was also sent by despatch rider to Lord Metheun:

I am sending about 300 mounted men and 2 guns to-morrow and some natives to cut some bush near the Reservoir, and to make a small work to cover our men whilst on cattle ground.

I find the question of turning out all private horses out of the town to graze presents many difficulties; not the least one of them is the difficulty of guarding them; the enemy appears short of horses and might make great efforts to capture them. I am issuing a proclamation calling upon all to register their animals and the amount of forage in their possession, and I shall take action subsequently as I think fit.

I got a message through this evening by searchlight signal to Lord Metheun, giving him information as to our last news, the enemy’s position, and asking for any news as to Ladysmith, etc.

I did not get any reply to this but the following very satisfactory message came through from Reade Modder River.

No 35 your 2 despatch riders arrived safely; will supply reply later. Gained passage Modder River after successful fight every one fit and keen.

In Ladysmith:

To me the day has been a wild vision of prodigious guns spouting fire and smoke from uplifted muzzles on every hill, of mounted Boers, thick as ants, galloping round and round the town in opposite directions, of flashing stars upon a low horizon, and of troops massed at night, to no purpose, along an endless road. But I am inspired by fever just now, and in duller moments I am still conscious that we have really had a fairly quiet day, as these days go.

"Long Tom" occupied the morning in shelling the camp of the Imperial Light Horse. He threw twelve great shells in rapid succession into their midst, but as I watched not a single horse or man was even scratched. The narrowest escape was when a great fragment flew through an open door and cut the leg clean off a table where Mr. Maud, of the Graphic, sat at work. Two shells pitched in the river, which half encircles the camp, and for a moment a grand Trafalgar Square fountain of yellow water shot into the air. A house near the gaol was destroyed, but no damage to man or beast resulted.

Soon afterwards, from the highest point of the Convent Hill, looking south-west over the Maritzburg road by Bluebank, I saw several hundred Boers cantering in two streams that met and passed in opposite directions. They were apparently on the move between Colenso and Van Reenen's Pass; perhaps their movements implied visits to lovers, and a pleasant Sunday. They looked just like ants hurrying to and fro upon a garden track.

The reality of the day was a flash of brilliant light far away beyond the low gorge, where the river turns southward. My old Scot was the first to see it. It was about half-past three. The message came through fairly well, though I am told it is not very important. The important thing is that communication with the relieving force is at last established.

About 8.30 p.m. there was a great movement of troops, the artillery massing in the main street, the cavalry moving up in advance, the infantry forming up. Being ill, I fell asleep for a couple of hours, and when I turned out again all the troops had gone back to camp.

In Mafeking:

The fire of the Bechuanaland Rifles drove the Boers from their advanced trench to the north-east, which they had occupied, but subsequently abandoned and destroyed, as it was too advanced. But another trench was constructed midway between this trench and our own advanced trench. Four railway men out sniping towards Game Tree fort, came upon the niggers the Boers had posted in advance of that earthwork, and shot one, the rest fled. The Boers swarmed into the trench and their commander was heard to order some men to go and cut the party off. Sharp came the answer, " No, the rooineks are attacking in force." Eventually, after crawling a thousand yards under fire, the party got off safely, having accounted for two Boers.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

December 2nd 7 years 5 months ago #50302

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Bombarding again today. I was down at Bert's cottage at about eleven this morning, the shells were falling thick all round. We were in the garden when one fell in the next garden. Clouds of dust and smoke rose, but no damage done. I think they were trying to shell the Artillery Camp which is exactly opposite Bert's - two or three fell round the Camp.

The Carbineers held sports today. I am afraid General Joubert would have been very much disgusted if he could have seen the contempt which his shells were regarded. As they whizzed overhead the races and events went off just the same. No one (except the very timid ones and they don't count) looked even where they were going. We all went down immediately after lunch and dispensed tea all the afternoon. General White, General Hunter and all the rest were there and stayed the whole afternoon. The General told us General Buller was in Maritzburg, so we will hear something now. Just before we left the ground a shrapnel burst overhead and scattered its bullets round but no one was touched. We were told that we had better go, as they always sent two in one place, and sure enough we had only been gone a short time when Wilfrid came in with two of the bullets which fell almost at his feet.

Just after tea Uncle George came in and said he wanted sandwiches at every available man was ordered out at once, to assemble at the Town Hall, so we all went up and saw them arrive and fall in. It is wonderful how quiet the horses were. It was a dark night and they were on the left side so as to leave plenty of room for the Artillery and transport, and except for a very occasional clink of the bit, you could not have told anyone was there. Ko talking and no smoking allowed. We stayed until half past ten, when we returned they were still arriving. We had only just gone to bed when Uncle George came in and said it was only to see how quickly they could be called together. Everyone was disappointed. They thought at last they were going to be allowed to take some of the Boer guns, or do something. The General congratulated the Carbineers on being the first out.
Dr David Biggins

December 2nd 7 years 5 months ago #50303

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

1.30 to 2.30 a.m. and 4.30 to 6.30. Returned to camp to take part in sports got up by the Volunteers. Competed in 1/4 and 1 mile races, coming in 4th in each. Large field composed of well known runners both military and volunteers so did fairly well. Was warmly complimented on my efforts. During progress of sports 3 shells dropped amongst us and though a shrapnel burst over our heads sending down a shower of bullets etc. no one was seriously hurt.
Dr David Biggins

December 2nd 7 years 5 months ago #50304

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - From the letters writer by Lt Col Park in Ladysmith

I got my copy of the Lyre yesterday. It is very clever, but not as good as the first number. I can quite understand how difficult it must be to make up interesting and amusing paragraphs, when there is absolutely no news to begin with. We are really going to have a church parade again tomorrow, being more or less off duty, and later on a cricket match between ourselves and the Liverpool Regiment, if it can be got up. Just then a nasty new gun suddenly started firing, and dropped two shells over our hill, right among the tents. The first knocked down part of the guard tent, and the second pitched close to a sangar in which Honner and Graham mostly live. Neither did any harm, but I had to go off up the hill to try and spot where the gun was firing from, and did so; he is behind a ridge about 6000 yards off. I hope he isn’t going to worry us much, as hitherto we have always thought our little corner quite safe from anything but stray splinters, and how this beast can drop his shells straight into it. He has stopped firing now, and may turn his attention to something else later on. It is odd that we still get no authentic news of the relieving column. I suppose Sir G. White knows about their movements, but doesn’t want them to leak out, as the place is so full of spies and treachery, that everything becomes known at once. The column signalled in here by night by throwing electric search lights on the clouds, and then making dot and dash shadows on the light, and I believe the messages - mostly in cipher - were quite intelligible, and it is a pity that we can’t answer, as we have no search-light. I am afraid my prophecy that we should not be here next Sunday will not be fulfilled, as it is only tomorrow, and there are no signs of a move. The padre came in last night from the hospital camp, and said Gunning is up and walking about, though he is nothing but a long white shadow, however, he is mending fast, and will be well as soon as he can be sent away for a change of air and good food. I hope we shall get a move before many days, as men are beginning to go into hospital with dysentery, and nothing but a change of air and water will stop that if it once sets in. We have kept wonderfully fit up till now, so that I shall be dreadfully sorry if we break down now towards the end of the siege.
Dr David Biggins

December 2nd 7 years 5 months ago #50305

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Colonel Park mentions that Ladysmith has no searchlight. I was wondering why they did not make one?
Dr David Biggins

December 2nd 7 years 5 months ago #50306

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
David
Well, they would have needed a rather large, polished glass mirror, an arc lamp (I think of a certain type) and then a powerful generator or many batteries (or both). And then someone who knew their stuff to put it all together. The Chartered Company forces used a searchlight during the Matabele wars for illumination (powered by acetylene), the French used them during the Siege of Paris much earlier - so they were certainly not unknown at the time for signalling. More likely the military in Ladysmith did not have the the fixings to make one.
Regards
IL.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.403 seconds