TOPIC:

November 11th 12 years 5 months ago #1405

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
1899 - Fifth Division called out.
1901 - Dutoit's laager at Doornhoek captured.
1903 - Elections for Cape Legislative Council. 11th to 17th Nov.

Kimberley:

A very heavy day. I was continuously in the conning Tower for 15 hours. There was a reconnaissance in the morning to Otto’s Kopje under Col Scott Turner, the enemy opened early on the town with guns from a position near Lazaretto. He probably has 3 or 4 guns there. Artillery fire was also opened from 2 places at the Premier Mine, and with 1 gun from Kamfersdam and 1 from Felsted. Details will be found in the diary. The enemy opened again with artillery during the afternoon and must have fired as many as 400 shells into the outskirts of the town during the day. One or two shells fell well into the town and I am sorry to say one of them killed a Kaffir woman.

Ladysmith:

A soaking early morning with minute rain, hiding all the circle of the hills, for which reason there is no bombardment yet, and I have spent a quiet hour with Colonel Stoneman, arranging rations for my men and beasts, and taking a lesson how to organise supplies and yet keep an unruffled mind. The rest of the morning I sat with a company of the 60th (K.R.R.) on the top of Cove Hill (another of the many Aldershot names). The men had been lining the exposed edge of Observation Hill all night, without any shelter, whilst the thick cold rain fell upon them. It was raining still, and they lay about among the rocks and thorny mimosa bushes in rather miserable condition.

It would be a good thing if the Army could be marched through Regent Street as the men look this morning. It would teach people more about war than a hundred pictures of plumed horsemen and the dashing charge. The smudgy khaki uniforms soaked through and through, stained black and green and dingy red with wet and earth and grass; the draggled great-coats, heavy with rain and thick with mud; the heavy sopping boots, the blackened, battered helmets; the blackened, battered faces below them, unwashed and unshaved since the siege began; the eyes heavy and bloodshot with sun and rain and want of sleep; the peculiar smell—there is not much brass band and glory about us now.

At noon the mist lifted, and just before one the Boer guns opened fire nearly all round the horseshoe, except that the Manchesters were left in peace. I think only one new gun had been placed in position, but another had been cleverly checked. As a rule, it has been our polite way to let the Boers settle their guns comfortably in their places, and then to try in vain to blow them out. Yesterday the enemy were fortifying a gun on Star Hill, when one of our artillery captains splashed a shell right into the new wall. We could see the Boer gunners running out on both sides, and the fort has not been continued.

To-day "Long Tom's" shells were thrown pretty much at random about the town. One blew a mule's head off close to the bank, and disembowelled a second. One went into the "Scotch House" and cleared the shop. A third pitched close to the Anglican Church, and brought the Archdeacon out of burrow. But there was no real loss, except that one of the Naval Brigade got a splinter in the forehead. My little house had another dose of shrapnel, and on coming in I found a soldier digging up the bits in the garden; but the Scotch owner drove him away for "interfering with the mineral rights." At 3.30 the mist fell again, and there was very little firing after 4. Out on the flat beyond the racecourse our men were engaged in blowing up and burning some little farms and kraals which sheltered the Boer scouts. As I look towards the Bulwan I see the yellow blaze of their fires.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

November 11th 7 years 5 months ago #49722

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Roused at 2. Crossed river at daylight. Returned early in afternoon. Heavy thunderstorm at night.
Dr David Biggins

November 11th 7 years 5 months ago #49723

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Woke up to a cloudy drizzly day. No firing until after lunch when it cleared. Only a few shells exchanged. More damage done in those few than the whole of Thursday. Mr. Garter's house again unfortunately, a shell through the kitchen, stove and other things damaged. One also through the Crown Hotel, another fell just behind Walton and Tatham's offices, two mules killed in the yard.

We used our new warren in the orchard today while the firing was going on. It is very comfortable. It is 12 feet square and about 6 feet high. The top is timbered and covered with sand bags and then heaped high with earth. Two stove pipes are let in for air. We have the floor covered with a carpet and some chairs. Altogether it is most comfortable. The opening is only just big enough to admit one at a time.

Today, every man, woman and child over 12 was made to take out passes. It is a form filled in, your name, height, colour, age and occupation. We felt rather indignant at the idea of having to have passes like kaffirs.
Dr David Biggins

November 11th 6 years 2 months ago #57426

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - From the diary of Major George Tatham, Natal Carbineers

Quiet all morning. Visited the outposts with Col. Royston as usual early in the morning. Wet morning. The outposts were fixed almost immediately after we were shut in, various regiments being allotted certain sections of the perimeter in all nearly 17 miles. Our section was from the bend of the River below First Lengthman's cottage below Ladysmith to the slope of Caesar's Camp, in all I suppose about two miles. Boers fired a few shells into town after twelve noon.
Dr David Biggins

November 11th 2 years 5 months ago #79708

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Source: Diary of the siege of Mafeking by Edward Ross

Saturday, 11 November 1899

Bombardment did not commence today till about 10 a.m. and then the enemy, under cover of the shelling, moved a body of about two hundred men from their main laager on the east down to Game Tree on the south. Since then everything has been quiet, and it is thought that the enemy are removing their big gun to a different position.

One of De Kock’s servants was shot dead today whilst crossing the Market Square, by some stray Mauser bullets.

Court martial on Lieutenant Murchison was sitting till about 8 o’clock this evening, when some more shells commenced flying and they had to adjourn.
Dr David Biggins

November 11th 1 year 5 months ago #86995

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2304
British casualties on 11th November, 1900:

226 Private C. H. Goodman, 1st Company Imperial Yeomanry, died from enteric fever at Wynberg.
_______

7053 Private W. Waddie [also named as Waddin], King's Own Scottish Borderers. Accidentally severely wounded at Gethins Kopje.
_______

"I am sorry to see that Capt. G. N. Colville, of the Mounted Infantry Company, Oxford Light Infantry, was severely wounded in the side in the brilliant action against De Wet at Botheville on November 11. This looks as if the detachment from our Bucks Volunteers was engaged on the occasion, but no other casualties are reported."
Bucks Herald, Saturday 17th November 1900

He received the D.S.O. for his services in South Africa, and, as Brigadier-General George Northcote Colville [or Colvile, spellings vary], he died in Kenya, 1940.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.400 seconds