TOPIC:

November 6th 12 years 5 months ago #1379

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
1900 - Defeat of de Wet at Bothaville.
1901 - Concentric drive on Paardehoek (N.E. Free State) commenced.

Colonel Kekewich's diary:

In the afternoon enemy seen bringing a gun over the ridge near Carter’s Farm; at about 7 pm 2 guns were fired by the enemy at Premier Mine from the direction of Alexandersfontein both shells fell very short.

Aranged to keep 200 of Morgans and 120 od De Beers cattle in a safe place and to feel them on meal. This as a reserve in case the enemy manages to drive off any of our other cattle. Comparatively the available safe grazing ground is of course now much restricted, and it is necessary to employ many mounted men daily as a guard.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

November 6th 8 years 4 months ago #44508

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, November 1899:

5 p.m. We have been sitting on the river’s banks since 5 o’clock this morning, in an excavation made in the bank, and fenced with sand bags. The Natal volunteers were all around us, ready for instant service. About three o’clock, they mounted and rode off, as platoon firing was heard in the distance. In about half an hour, they came on the field, and found the Boers retiring before our foot soldiers. They opened fire on the rebels, and the victory is ours. Our volunteers deserve more than medals for the work they have done in this war. The farms of the rebels in Natal, Cape Colony, and the two Republics, ought to be confiscated, and given to all our volunteers. — Only a few cannon shot were fired today. — Food is almost impossible to be had. The provision shops are requisitioned by the military.
Dr David Biggins

November 6th 7 years 5 months ago #49524

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Dismissed at 2 a.m. Paraded at 3, moving over to donga over the river. Linked horses until 11, and as there had been no firing, tied them under trees. The whole of the left bank of the river for about half a mile was occupied by volunteers and the people remaining in town. By the number of drives, pits, caves etc. gives the appearance of gold prospecting. The bank is 20 ft. to 30ft. Melton Prior took a sketch of our own men making entrenchments etc. 11.15 a.m. First shell fired, when a general rush was made for cover. The shelling was supposed to be aimed at the balloon which ascended over the Gordon’s Camp near the road bridge. Returned to camp at 5 o’clock. On guard.
Dr David Biggins

November 6th 7 years 5 months ago #49525

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - From the letters writer by Lt Col Park in Ladysmith

The expected attack and bombardment today didn’t come off. We were all up and under arms at 3 a.m., and I went round the posts and saw that everything was ready; but as nothing happened up till 7 a.m., we took off arms again and went to breakfast. It is the quietest day we have had for a week. Only about five shells have been fired, and none in our direction.

There are great rumours that the Basutos have risen and are attacking the Orange Free State, and that all the Free State men are going back in consequence to defend their homes. There certainly seem to be fewer Boers in front of us today, as the mounted patrols have hardly seen anyone, and have been very little fired at. I wonder how many days longer this business is going on. I am very sick of it and long to go out and have a good fight and get it over. We get no news from outside, though there are shaves enough of all sorts, and by this time Sir R. Buller and at least the first division from England must have landed and be moving up - probably from the Cape to the Orange River. The weather is fine and hot, and all our faces are very much blistered and burnt. My nose and ears keep on peeling, but otherwise I am not nearly as bad as many others; R…. M….. and B….. being particularly bad, with their faces all cracked and bleeding. We have lots of food and twelve dozen of whisky, and can carry on for a long time if necessary; but I most devoutly hope the siege will soon be raised. I haven’t seen my horses for four days. They are no use to me now, and have been sent away under a high bank down the river where they are quite safe from shells. I have got to go wall-building again tonight to make cover for four more guns on the hill above the camp, so I expect this will be a twenty hours day at least. The men are very cheery and chaff and laugh all the time as they work They are very happy today, as I have managed to get them 400 lb. of tobacco from the Commissariat. They had nearly all run out of it, and were low in their minds in consequence. Sergeant Cox is a man of importance, he is in charge of all the signalling stations connecting the camp and the posts, and is kept pretty busy.

I wonder when I shall get news of you again; it seems such an age since your last letter, which I got on the 13th October, and there is certainly no chance of letters for some days to come, even if the Boers retire at once, as the bridges on the railway are broken and the mails would have to be sent by runners.
Dr David Biggins

November 6th 7 years 5 months ago #49526

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Today has been a disappointing day. It seems a dreadful thing to be disappointed because there has been no shelling, but everyone is tired out. We get up by candlelight to get our luncheon basket packed, breakfast over and the house put in order before leaving. When that is done you wait, expecting every minute to hear the boom of the cannon. You feel you can't take out any needlework, or do any other work, and by 10 o'clock you think it must be time for lunch, and so it goes on.

Today, though, we had a little scare and had to run to our hole in the bank. The Boers fired at the balloon four or five shots. One burst high up over our heads, it seemed to be, but we saw none of the pieces of shell. Dr. Rouillard and Tom Turner burrow with us. They both brought their provisions. The Dr. turned out of his pockets a tin of sardines and a hunk of bread. We had lunch there altogether, and as the firing did not continue, we all dispersed to our homes. What are these Boers doing today? Scheming I am afraid. Some say there are none here and all have fled because there is a Basuto rising in the Free State, and others say they swarm all along the Umbulwana and they have been busy fixing guns today. But all we know is this rest means mischief and goodness only knows what tomorrow will bring.

Mr. Normand left us today, we miss him. He is such a nice boy. we hear the Boer loss was heavy in Friday's engagement. An old kaffir spy told us yesterday. Bill Bester was in the fight on his father's farm, was wounded there, dropped his gun and got to the house and died. I wonder if the old fellow really knew.
Dr David Biggins

November 6th 6 years 2 months ago #57416

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - From the diary of Major George Tatham, Natal Carbineers

Borrowed a milk cow from Sparks in place of one taken from our flock of milk cows among a lot of town cattle. Went with Signalling officer to top of Caesar's Camp to try and find a signalling station.

Rory - something else to add to his biography?
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.386 seconds