Natives and Cape Boys 12 years 9 months ago #699

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Source: Page 24
68/SA/5427

Award of medals (Bronze SA) will be dealt with on the lines of War Office letter 08/SA/5427 5/8/04.

[A note says see page 58]
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Natives and Cape Boys 11 years 1 month ago #8188

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Source: Page 58

WO letter of 5-8-04 (in 68/SA/5427) to GOC South Africa (Pretoria) enclosing copy letter from the Secretary of State for the Colonies to the Governors of Cape Colony and Natal dated 29-7-04 which states as follows:-

"After full consideration of the circumstances, the Army Council have decided that they cannot go beyond the terms of Sir N Lyttelton's recommendation viz; that no Medals be issued to natives of SA (including Cape Boys) except in very special cases, at the discretion of the Lt General commanding. Such cases would include those of scouts who have shown conspicuous courage or skills and similarly men in other departments whose names have been brought to notice for exceptionally good work."

"Bronze Medals only, not silver, are issued to natives who are considered deserving"

Lt Gen Lyttleton's letter 20/2/04.

The recommendation on which the above decision is founded are contained in a letter to the WO dated 31st Oct 1901 from Lt Gen the Hon N G Lyttleton, GOC Trans and Orange River Colonies in which he differentiates between African Natives and Natives of India and gives reasons and explanations. It will be found in 68/SA/4237, date of Registry 26.10.01. Closed 11.5.07, marked 'Important'.

Mem. dated 23-3-04 signed by Major Edward Lovegrove, OC, Discharge Deport, Cape Town (in 68/SA/4696/04) to POO Woolwich, and in his own handwriting:

"There are eight Corps to whom Bronze Medals are to be issued - ruling by GOC South Africa, confirmed by the War Office:

1. Settle's Scouts
2. Border Scouts
3. Border Scouts, 8th Squadron
4. Bushmanland Borderers
5. Clanwilliam Convoy Guard
6. Herschel Native Police
7. 1/Namaqualand Border Scouts
8. 2/Namaqualand Border Scouts

In the above names Corps, the officers and white NCO only are to receive the silver medal."
Dr David Biggins

Natives and Cape Boys 11 years 1 month ago #8200

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
David

Lyttelton's role in the saga of QSA's to black South Africans is new to me. His attitude is surprising, since he was a 'frontline' officer and, I would have thought, more likely to be sympathetic to these men. The only bronze QSA in my collection is to a Syce from India and I wonder what made him more deserving of this medal than, say, a native scout "killed in action" in the eyes of someone like Lyttelton?

Regards
Brett

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.769 seconds