Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Information wanted on the QSA Medal for Gunner John Charles Maddock 12 years 11 months ago #399

• st helena
  • st helena's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,
Is there any one out there that can help me find any Information on my Great-Uncle's QSA Medal for the 2nd Boer War!
His name was 'Gunner John Charles Maddock',he with his unit (J Battery RHA) sailed from Bombay in India on the 11th Jan 1900 to Port Elizabeth in South Africa. He landed around the 28th Jan 1900. His Army number was 5544.
I'm trying to find out were it is & try to have a picture of it if possible? I know it as two bars for CC & OFS on the ribbon. I'm trying to find out what day? & what ship he sailed back to the UK on? as he was Invalided home in June or July 1900,but what date & ship is not known?????????? I wish some kind person would help me find them out for me Please!

Thank You

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Information wanted on the QSA Medal for Gunner John Charles Maddock 12 years 11 months ago #402

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
St Helena,

if you have a look at the medal roll for J battery ( www.angloboerwar.com/imperial-units/635-...-artillery-j-battery ), you'll see him listed with his two clasp medal.

The note on the right hand side says "To A Deport, RHA, as invalided 28 6 00"

I think that's the correct date. Its hard to read though.

The Find My Past site has service papers for a John Charles Maddock, born 1876 in Surrey.

In terms of the ship, have a look through the shipping records. Not many soldiers were listed by name though. www.angloboerwar.com/other-information/86-shipping-records

Good luck
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: st helena

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.361 seconds