• Page:

TOPIC:

Missing medals 2 years 7 months ago #77845

• Alexander 65
  • Alexander 65's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
5 years later I am still searching for any trace of QSA medal and 3 WW1 group to Pte William Meikle. He was in the 16th Company Imperial Yeomanry, the Queens Own Glasgow Company. Any help you can give me in locating them will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Alex.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Missing medals 2 years 7 months ago #77864

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1165
Hello Alex
Sorry to hear you still haven’t managed to locate your Great grandfathers’ medals.
I have had a trawl through the ether to see if there were any recent sales regarding William Meikle’s QSA & WW1 trio. I thought I had found a reference in 2013 when Baldwins auction sold a medal set to a William Meikle, alas it was a different regiment and regimental number and not the right clasp entitlement. I notice in your original post 5 years ago that you mentioned that you may purchase replacement medals. I’m not sure if you have done so? I understand that copies can never replace the originals but I have enclosed some documents that may help you get the right combination. The QSA medal your Great grandfather earned was with 4 clasps. Wittebergen, Cape Colony, Transvaal and 1901 date clasp. The WW1 trio was a 1915 Star, British War medal and Victory medal. Also, your Great grandfather was entitled to a wound badge, number 366554. Good luck in the future, you never know, the original medal set may appear on the open market one day, keep a look out on the auction sites. I wish you well in your quest.

18th Company, 6th Battalion Imperial Yeomanry

Royal Field Artillery / Tank Corps.

I hope I have the right man, reference the WW1 records?

regards
Dave
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.640 seconds