• Page:

TOPIC:

GEORGE HENRY MOFFETT MEDALS 5 years 11 months ago #58629

• Shirene
  • Shirene's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I discovered last night on this site that my Great Grandfather George Henry Moffett was awarded:
- CGHGSM bar Bechuanaland to 965 Pte. G.H. Moffett, Cape Pce.
- QSA bars Cape Colony and Orange Free State to 965 Cpl. G.H. Moffett Cape D.1
- KSA bars SA 1901 and 1902 to 965 Cpl. G.H. Moffett, Cape Police D1
These medals were unfortunately sold by my uncle without knowledge of the rest of the family to Rory who exchanged them with Mervyn Mitton a collector in Durban who died. I am trying to find out what happened to the contents of his collection and if a record was kept so that I can find the person who has them now and can get them back. I am devastated that they are not in our family anymore. Please help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

GEORGE HENRY MOFFETT MEDALS 5 years 11 months ago #58631

• Brianc
  • Thank you received: 49
Shirene

Unfortunately once medals have left the family in a deal between a member of the family and a dealer or collector they are no longer yours. They were obviously in your uncles possession, so they were in fact his to sell or keep. I have seen two groups issued to family members of mine recorded as sold on auctions and sadly until they come back on another auction, one just has to wait and be vigilant.

Why I am replying to your post is because I went through a similar experience. I had posted a group of medals on another site and a few days later got a message from some person in Australia claiming they belonged to their family and were quite abusive.... however they could not provide positive proof of any relationship between themselves and the man whose group I own.

Hence group is still in my collection !

Regards
Brian
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shirene

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.914 seconds