Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Breaker Morant - the retrial - Melbourne, 7 May 2014 10 years 2 weeks ago #19209

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4529
I have been contacted by the producers of a new file on Breaker Morant, to be screen at the Nova Cinema, Melbourne next month.

Sadly, I can't attend :(

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Breaker Morant - the retrial - Melbourne, 7 May 2014 10 years 2 weeks ago #19210

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good morning David,
Quite frankly, this is all rather academic, it would be very unlikely to lead further, as doubtless, some parties would wish it to, neither Morant and in particular, Handcock, were angels, I really cannot see the latter ever being absolved.
They did what others did, but, they made the mistake of getting caught, I have no doubt that when Charles Murray replaced Alfred Taylor as Military Intelligence Officer Zoutspanberg and Nothern Transvaal in 1902, at the special request of Lord Kitchener, he would have been told by the Commander in Chief, do what needs to be done, but, don't get bloody well caught!
All those wretched back veldt Boers!
Still, it does not make it right, does it?
Kind regards Frank

Breaker Morant - the retrial - Melbourne, 7 May 2014 10 years 2 weeks ago #19252

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4529
Frank,

It is not hard to understand the mentality of the men at the periphery of the war but, you're right in that it doesn't make their actions correct.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Breaker Morant - the retrial - Melbourne, 7 May 2014 10 years 2 weeks ago #19258

• Frank Kelley
Hello David,
I think it is also very important to remember why these men were actually charged and then placed before a court in the first place, they had done nothing that had not been done before, if I had my way, it would never have happened, the word scapegoat is very appropriate, but, all of this changes nothing, I doubt if they will ever receive a pardon from HM government.
Just think though, had it all never happened, the Bushveldt Carbineers would be merely another SAMIF unit!
Regards Frank

Breaker Morant - the retrial - Melbourne, 7 May 2014 10 years 2 weeks ago #19261

• NZMR
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi David,

This was shown on New Zealand and Australian television a few months ago. Whilst an interesting exercise, I think Frank is correct in saying they will be unlikely to receive a pardon from the Government. The biggest impact of this film comes from the families of the Boers who were executed by Morant and his men. Their emotion is still raw even to this day, and virtually undermines any legal case that may be argued.

Cheers

Phil

Breaker Morant - the retrial - Melbourne, 7 May 2014 10 years 2 weeks ago #19264

• Frank Kelley
Gentlemen,
For me at least, this is merely a matter of orders, or orders that were allegedly given, received and carried out, no matter how distasteful, but, people should also look at the wider picture.
It needs to be understood that the government could no longer afford to fight the Anglo Boer War, it was just too expensive, their reputation was also on line in the eyes of the world, moreover, a great deal of pressure was being applied to the Commander in Chief to end the war and look to the future, I am very confident that the Union had already been conceived.
Anyway, it really is all academic, we can't alter history, here's to the Bushveldt Carbineers! :woohoo:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.467 seconds