Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

The ATKINS-YORKSHIRE Challenge Shield 10 years 3 weeks ago #18986

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1537
Forum members
Herewith are some pics of a Challenge Shield of some considerable size (about 2.5feet wide by some 3.5 feet high) mounted on the wall of the rooms of one of the Sydney based clubs affilliated with the New South Wales Rifle Association. The sentiments of the shield are quite obvious and it is dated 1899-1900. The shield appears to have been made of electroplated bronze and it exhibits liberal amounts of Brasso in the many crevices. The Captain of the YORKSHIRE Rifle Club (originally formed in the 1890's from chaps of Yorkshire descent) advised me of the shield only last week when he heard of my forthcoming SA battlefield tour later this year.
Regretfully, the terms and conditions of the ATKINS-YORKSHIRE Challenge Shield have been lost in the sands of time; along with the winners thereof.
Regards to all
IL.

The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, David Grant, BereniceUK, Neville_C

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The ATKINS-YORKSHIRE Challenge Shield 10 years 3 weeks ago #18994

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Ian,

Wow! What is piece of work.

Many thanks for posting those pictures.
David
Dr David Biggins

The ATKINS-YORKSHIRE Challenge Shield 6 years 4 months ago #56586

• Neville_C
  • Thank you received: 1991
Over the years I have found six of the vignettes from this shield, showing that at least two examples were made. The extent of the polishing suggests that the vignettes were separated into pairs many years ago.
A postcard, published in South Africa in 1905 or 1906, depicts the version now held by the Yorkshire Society Rifle Club. It was then called the "South African War Shield". The Yorkshire Society of New South Wales was founded on 23rd July 1907. Mr W. Atkins was on the founding committee (Sydney Evening News, 27th July 1907).

Attachments:

The ATKINS-YORKSHIRE Challenge Shield 4 years 11 months ago #63500

• Neville_C
UPDATE
The original silver version of the South African War Shield was designed by sculptor George Halliday (active 1888-1912), and was made at Messrs. R.F. Mosley & Co., Portland Works, Randall Street, Sheffield.
An article in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph (31st July 1902) explains that the shield is to be sent to London and “it is likely that it will shortly be on view at the South Kensington Museum [V&A] …. Castings have been taken, and copies are to be made by the newest electrotype process”.
I wonder whether the original is still in the V&A collection?
Since my last post, I have come across more electrotype vignettes from this shield. These are in period frames, suggesting that the scenes could be purchased separately.

Attachments:

The ATKINS-YORKSHIRE Challenge Shield 4 years 11 months ago #63501

• Neville_C
One of the framed vignettes.

Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.823 seconds