• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Adrian,
Will look out for it in my Tesco's :lol:
Think the London shop is a little to far away for a snack :lol:

Paul :)

capepolice wrote: Paul,

Next you should try our world famous "Boerewors" and have a braai. I think boerewors is available in Tesco if not try the Springbok shop in London.

Don't forget the export Castle Lager as well B)

Cheers
Adrian

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: My first taste of Biltong! 11 years 4 months ago #6890

• iaindh
  • Thank you received: 35
Hi Paul,

biltong can be chewy if made with a cheap cut of meat; look out for game biltong like Kudu for example.
As for a good beer; I dont want to fight with Adrian but Castle is, (as the Germans call it,) a one day beer, because of the fast brewing chemical method used. Rather look out for Windhoek Lager or Draught made in Namibia, the former GSWA. It is very, very popular in SA. ;)
Nice to see you though drinking some of the best wines in the world :cheer: Gesondheid

regards, Iain

coldstream wrote: I have come across this famous food many times when reading my books but never thought I would be able to experience the taste for myself.
Imagine my suprise when in my local Tesco yesterday I saw packets on the shelf, well I simply had to buy some.

Of course I needed something to accompany it!

I can say the Biltong has a splendid spicy taste but it does takes some chewing and good tooth pick is recommended!
As for the wine, pure nectar!

Re: My first taste of Biltong! 11 years 4 months ago #6892

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Many years ago, I was told about a South African who married an English girl and brought her back to settle in South Africa. To show his appreciation to his parents-in-law, the groom posted them several sticks of biltong. Many months later, in a letter to their daughter, her mum and dad mentioned that they had planted the biltong but, unfortunately, it had not germinated.

Brett

Re: My first taste of Biltong! 11 years 4 months ago #6893

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Iain,
There appears to be some wine left in the bottle! :unsure:
Regards Frank

iaindh wrote: Hi Paul,

biltong can be chewy if made with a cheap cut of meat; look out for game biltong like Kudu for example.
As for a good beer; I dont want to fight with Adrian but Castle is, (as the Germans call it,) a one day beer, because of the fast brewing chemical method used. Rather look out for Windhoek Lager or Draught made in Namibia, the former GSWA. It is very, very popular in SA. ;)
Nice to see you though drinking some of the best wines in the world :cheer: Gesondheid

regards, Iain

coldstream wrote: I have come across this famous food many times when reading my books but never thought I would be able to experience the taste for myself.
Imagine my suprise when in my local Tesco yesterday I saw packets on the shelf, well I simply had to buy some.

Of course I needed something to accompany it!

I can say the Biltong has a splendid spicy taste but it does takes some chewing and good tooth pick is recommended!
As for the wine, pure nectar!

Re: My first taste of Biltong! 11 years 4 months ago #6895

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Iain

Apart from our shared interest in the ILH, I was pleased to read that we have a beer in common (Windhoek Lager). I developed a taste for SWAfrican beers many years ago when I worked in Namaqualand. On visits to SWA, I discoverewd that if one went into a pub and ordered a beer, the custom was to provide a quart bottle "off the shelf". I did not want to be regarded as a 'sissy' (although I was one), so I did not dare ask for a cold pint instead. From this you will gather that my subsequent addiction was forced on me and was not my fault.

Regards
Brett

Re: My first taste of Biltong! 11 years 4 months ago #6896

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 427
Brett,

The addiction was forced on you !!! :blink:
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.031 seconds