Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: My first taste of Biltong! 11 years 4 months ago #6900

• Stephen Bayley
  • Thank you received: 32
I just enjoy watching the All Blacks smash the rest of the world with any beer. Have to make the most of the of the RWC win thi year!! I did enjoy the "Braii" (curly) sausage when in RSA and yes Castle Lager ain't bad either but do not tell anyone in Australia I said that. Back on topic, I am sure the NZMR & my GG enjoyed the amber stuff as well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: My first taste of Biltong! 11 years 4 months ago #6901

• iaindh
  • Thank you received: 35
Hi Frank
Maybe he was taking the photo before finishing the bottle so it would n't become blurred....... :lol:
regards, Iain

Frank Kelley wrote: Iain,
There appears to be some wine left in the bottle! :unsure:
Regards Frank

Re: My first taste of Biltong! 11 years 4 months ago #6902

• iaindh
Stephen,
with Bryce Lawrence on your side, you'll always win the RWC! :lol:
I'm sure you can probably get the curly braai wors in NZ now as a lot of South Africans have gone to NZ.
And yes, I'm sure the NZMR would enjoy the amber stuff; anything to get the dust out of the throat.... ;)
Iain

Stephen Bayley wrote: I just enjoy watching the All Blacks smash the rest of the world with any beer. Have to make the most of the of the RWC win thi year!! I did enjoy the "Braii" (curly) sausage when in RSA and yes Castle Lager ain't bad either but do not tell anyone in Australia I said that. Back on topic, I am sure the NZMR & my GG enjoyed the amber stuff as well.

Re: My first taste of Biltong! 11 years 4 months ago #6903

• iaindh
Hi Brett,
addictions are unfortunate; I feel sorry for you...... :whistle:
They actually brew it in SA now. It's owned by Heineken who have opened a brewery in Sedebeng.....relief is closer to hand :lol:
regards, Iain

Brett Hendey wrote: Iain

Apart from our shared interest in the ILH, I was pleased to read that we have a beer in common (Windhoek Lager). I developed a taste for SWAfrican beers many years ago when I worked in Namaqualand. On visits to SWA, I discoverewd that if one went into a pub and ordered a beer, the custom was to provide a quart bottle "off the shelf". I did not want to be regarded as a 'sissy' (although I was one), so I did not dare ask for a cold pint instead. From this you will gather that my subsequent addiction was forced on me and was not my fault.

Regards
Brett

Re: My first taste of Biltong! 11 years 4 months ago #6908

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Frank,
Finished it off last night :lol:

Paul

Regards Frank

iaindh wrote: Hi Paul,

biltong can be chewy if made with a cheap cut of meat; look out for game biltong like Kudu for example.
As for a good beer; I dont want to fight with Adrian but Castle is, (as the Germans call it,) a one day beer, because of the fast brewing chemical method used. Rather look out for Windhoek Lager or Draught made in Namibia, the former GSWA. It is very, very popular in SA. ;)
Nice to see you though drinking some of the best wines in the world :cheer: Gesondheid

regards, Iain

coldstream wrote: I have come across this famous food many times when reading my books but never thought I would be able to experience the taste for myself.
Imagine my suprise when in my local Tesco yesterday I saw packets on the shelf, well I simply had to buy some.

Of course I needed something to accompany it!

I can say the Biltong has a splendid spicy taste but it does takes some chewing and good tooth pick is recommended!
As for the wine, pure nectar!

Paul :)

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: My first taste of Biltong! 11 years 4 months ago #6909

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Hi Iain :lol:

Paul

iaindh wrote: Hi Frank
Maybe he was taking the photo before finishing the bottle so it would n't become blurred....... :lol:
regards, Iain

Regards Frank

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.648 seconds