Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: Soldiers leave when in South Africa 12 years 11 months ago #419

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4510
David,

This was an intriguing puzzle so I had a look too. Meurig is correct that he appears on the roll for the 2nd Dorsetshire Regiment under different names;

QSA roll. WO100/189 p8. 657 Pte Batram, T. Clasps CC, OFS, Tr and Laing's Nek. A note says 'Send home for discharge, time expired'.

Supplementary roll. WO100/189 p84. 657 Pte Bertram, T. SA01 clasp. Note says 'Discharged. Time expired'.

This points up one of the shortcomings of the Ancestry indexing. The QSA entry appear in the Ancestry index as 'Beltram, T" and the Supplementary as 'Bertram, S'. Coincidentally this is the second such error this evening. Looking for H Willis, Ancestry's entry was H Willes. No wonder it took some time to find him. In both cases, searching for regimental number and regiment was more successful.

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Soldiers leave when in South Africa 12 years 11 months ago #423

• davewill
  • davewill's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Good morning Meurig and David

Thank you both for your help. I have spent three years researching the Betraun family and found material under many variations of the name, including Bertram, Batram etc.I thought I had found everything available.

However, I have never properly researched the medal rolls. I shall now carry out more searches for other members of my wife's and my families for information.

It just goes to show that family history is a never ending search and if in doubt ask the experts!

Thanks again
David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.769 seconds