Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KNOWING NO FEAR - The Canadian Scouts in South Africa 1900-1902 11 years 10 months ago #3571

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1879
Good Afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen.....

I was doing some clean up and I found another package of six copies of the under listed books.....

Before I put them on ebay I thought that I would offer them to members of the forum......

Cost will be $19.99 plus $6.00 shipping and handling unless you want to come and pick them up at the house.....

Please get in contact if you are interested....

Mike

KNOWING NO FEAR - The Canadian Scouts in South Africa 1900-1902 by Jim Wallace with Captain Michael Dorosz.

"The Scouts regarded themselves as fighters not "tin soldiers".

Soft Cover
Pages: 244
Illustrations / Maps: 50
Appendixes: Five

The Canadian Scouts represent a unique period in British and Canadian military history when irregular units were recruited to augment the regular forces available for the campaign in South Africa. Many of the irregular units were largely made up of "colonials" from Australia, Canada, New Zealand and Cape Colony, providing an opportunity for the so-called "colonials" do demonstrate their prowess in guerilla warfare in which they were often deployed as scouts.

This book is the definitive history of the 1003 men who served in the Canadian Scouts from their formation to their disbandment. The youngest members of the scouts were Sergeant Walter Bapty and Trooper Stanley Rankin, both who were 16 when they enlisted to the Commandin Officer Major Howard at 55. Table One lists all the 16 countries represented and quantifies that were represented in the Scouts. There is a full casualty list, listing of the Coronation Contingent, Honours and Awards, and of course a Nominal and Medal Roll.

The Medal Roll consist of the following information:

A) Name
B) Rank
C) Regimental Number (s)
D) Nationality (When Known)
E) Enlistment Date and Discharge Date
F) Other units in which the individual served.
G) Medals and Clasps (for service with the Canadian Scouts)
H) Additional Information ( Awards, Wounds, Death, Coronation etc.)

Example:

STEWARD, Frederick Warwick, SM/3028 & 156/CDN/1Dec. 00 to 13 Jun. 02/RCA RCFA CMR/ QSA CC OFS TVL RH / KSA 01 02

This shows that 156 Sergeant F. W. Steward, a Canadian, served in the Canadian Scouts from December 1st 1900 to June 13th, 1902. He also served in the Royal Canadian Artillery, Royal Canadian Field Artillery and Canadian Mounted Rifles. Entitled to Queen's South Africa Medal - Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, Rhodesia and King's South Africa Medal - South Africa 1901 and South Africa 1902.

Also

DIGGER, Albert, Cpl / 32323 / AUS / 23 Jan., 01 - May 02 / QIB - KFS / QSA - CC, OFS, TVL, 01, 02 / Cor.

This shows that 32323 Corporal Albert Digger, an Australian, served in the Canadian Scouts from January 23rd, 1901 to May 1902. He also served in the Queensland Imperial Bushmen and Kitchener's Scouts. He was entitled to the Queen's South Africa Medal with bars Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, South Africa 1901 and South Africa 1902. He was also a member of the Coronation Contingent.

There is also some information on Post Boer War service.

Some of the famous people who were members of the Canadian Scouts who went on to bigger and better things are:

1) Captain H. Trenchard became Marshal of the Royal Air Force Sir Hugh Trenchard, 1st Viscount Trenchard GCB, GCMG, GCVO.

2) Capt. J. R. Longley became Major-General Sir John Raynsford Longley, KCMG, CB.

3) Private E. Hilliman, 17th Lancers, Constable North West Mounted Police, Corporal Canadian Mounted Rifles, Captain Canadian Scouts, retired as Brigadier General Edward Hilliam CMG, CB, DSO and Bar, MiD x 6, Legion of Honour and Croix de Guerre.

4) One member rose to the rank of Lt. Colonel in the Canadian Mounted Rifles in WW1 was court martialed due to problems with alcohol, re-enlisted under an assumed name as a private in the R.C.A. rose to rank of Battery Sergeant Major and was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM) and the Military Medal (MM).
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: KNOWING NO FEAR - The Canadian Scouts in South Africa 1900-1902 11 years 10 months ago #3575

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4507
Mike,

That's a nice offer but I do fear that, if any of us did turn at on your front doorstop, we would probably want to stay for quite a while!

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: KNOWING NO FEAR - The Canadian Scouts in South Africa 1900-1902 11 years 10 months ago #3578

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1879
No Problem David.....

Living in a big house.....

Only restriction, No One Sleeps in the Den...... LOL

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.325 seconds