Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 8 years 1 month ago #45656

• David Grant
  • Thank you received: 315
I have been researching Maxwell's orderly Dost Mohamed Khan and bought a copy of his letters. ( Now available on Kindle ). He was ADC to Kitchener and presents a intimate portrait of the man in his letters to his mother.

Several pages of his action ( and that of Khan ) at Sanna's post

Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 8 years 3 weeks ago #45966

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2300
'Edward Wakefield. Aviator, Soldier, Philanthropist.' Written, and researched, by his great grandson, John Gordon, this booklet (40 pages, including the covers) is attractively designed, and well-written and -produced.

Edward Wakefield is probably best remembered now for being a pioneer in the design and production of seaplanes, but, before that, he was a Lieutenant in a Volunteer Company of the Border Regiment during two spells in South Africa. His Boer War career takes up four pages, with the author being able to draw from Edward's correspondence home. There are three ABW-related photographs, excellently reproduced.

The booklet was published late last year, but Pie Powder Press's website doesn't list it as still being in stock. My copy came from Kendal library last week, at a cost of £5. allevents.in/kendal/edward-wakefield-avi...st/1620247834909123#

Recommendation? For £5, how can you go wrong?!

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 8 years 3 weeks ago #45972

• Hudson
  • Thank you received: 4
'The Boer War' by Martin Bossenbroek who won the Libris/Dutch National History Prize 2013. Primarily deals with the Dutch involvement in the war and the experiences of Willem Leyds, Denys Reitz and Winston Churchill. Easy reading and recommended.

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 8 years 3 weeks ago #45988

• FSburgher
  • Thank you received: 12
Hi all;
"Schwikkard of Natal and Old Transvaal" written by Cecil Cowley. Published in 1974.
159 pages of personal experiences first in the 1881 war against the British, transport riding and prospecting; and the years in between building up to the 2nd ABW. :cheer:

Otto Schwiggard's personal interaction and description of characters of his time; Soldiers, Republicans & Politicians was most interesting for me.
the stories reveal how resilient the old South African pioneers were, and what endurance was necessary to survive in a wild undeveloped colony.

A well worthwhile read. I think every young South Africans across the board would find the information enlightening and informative. :)

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 7 years 10 months ago #46996

• BereniceUK
Came across an original copy of 'The Duke of Lancaster's Own Yeomanry Cavalry' in the local library today. I know it's been reprinted, but this was a fascinating browse, and I'll go back to it when I have a bit more time to spare. (It's not possible to take it out of the library)
There's a fold-out map in the book; does the reprint have that?

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 7 years 10 months ago #46997

• BereniceUK

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.606 seconds