Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 3 weeks ago #18953

• Doug
  • Thank you received: 17
Just added a book, which I hadn't seen before, The Colonials at Talana, which may be well known, but it has so much detail about many of the locals, photo's etc. If anyone has one of these medals and no further information, let me know and i can scan it in.

Doug.
Doug Jenkins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 3 weeks ago #18954

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Doug

It is indeed a very useful book for those of us who have an interest in Natal Colonials. Pat Rundgren has been promising an expanded new addition for some time now, and I look forward to seeing it.

Regards
Brett

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 3 weeks ago #18956

• Doug
  • Thank you received: 17
Brett

I am looking forward to that!

Doug.
Doug Jenkins

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 3 weeks ago #18958

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4513
Agreed. Pat's book provides information on the colonials gathered from a very wide range of sources. I would look forward to an expanded version too.
Dr David Biggins

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 3 weeks ago #18969

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4513

Has anyone read this book 'Twenty Five years' soldiering in South Africa' by 'A colonial officer'?

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 1 week ago #19342

• Wombat
  • Thank you received: 15

Wombat wrote: At the moment I am reading "Goodbye Dolly Grey" By Rayne Kruger.
I have been collecting medals over 40 years now, and this book is certainly making me see things in a different light. I have to say I have not heard the Boer War described in quite this way before.
Does anyone know if this author is reliable with his facts, or does the book have a leaning more towards the story teller.
I am in no doubts about the bravery of the British soldier, and can even admire the Boer's for fighting for their belief's against superior numbers.
I am now half way, and I am enjoying the background that Rayne Kruger includes in his writing, that is usually omitted in other books I have read. I couldn't help wondering what other readers thought about this book.

Wombat,
James.

I have finally finished reading this book. The reason it has taken me so long,is that every chapter I read made me a little more depressed than the chapter before. :( So I had to limit myself to reading one chapter at a time if I wanted to stay sane enough to reach the finish.
I couldn't believe the incompetence of the British Generals, and their indifference to the loss of life. I remembered a comment in Kenneth Griffith's Thank God We Kept The flag flying, where a soldier told a General that he could't organize ducks across a pond, a comment for which he was court marshaled. After reading this book I can now understand why he said it.
There was certainly some monumental mistakes made and repeated. I was shocked by the casualty figures quoted at the end of the book,including the women and children,that were attributed to the conditions they had to live in.
I personally found this book difficult to read, but I am glad I did. I would certainly recommend others to read it if they haven't already done so.

James.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.152 seconds