TOPIC:

The Great Comet of 1901 1 year 7 months ago #85869

• Smethwick
  • Smethwick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 821
“The King’s Royal Irish Hussars – Diary of the South African War 1900-1902”
By J W Morton, Orderly-room Sergeant 8th (King’s Royal Irish) Hussars
Originally published in 1905 by Gale & Polden Ltd, Wellington Works, Aldershot

Entry for 25th April 1901: “A large comet, visible at reveille this morning, appeared daily during the next few days”.

As you can tell James William Morton (1869-1927) compiled the published version of his diary from a rough one he kept during the war. He was rather off-hand about what was known as “The Great Comet of 1901” and was officially described as a “striking and beautiful” object in the night sky. This was probably because he remembered the “Great Comet of 1882”, when he would have been aged 13, and which is considered to have been the most spectacular comet of the 2nd Millennium. The 1882 Comet was visible in the British Isles but the 1901 version was only visible in the southern hemisphere. So, it is surprising that it does not get any mentions in the letters home which I have read, especially by younger soldiers who would not have remembered the 1882 version.

The Great Comet of 1901 is often called Comet Viscara after the man who first spotted it in on 12th April 1901 from Uruguay. It came closest to the earth on 30th April, achieved its maximum brightness on 5th May and remained visible to the naked eye until about 20th May although those equipped with telescopes followed its course into October 1901.

It is depicted in the postcard below over Lima, Peru.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Elmarie, BereniceUK, Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The Great Comet of 1901 1 year 7 months ago #85873

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2304
"The brilliant comet now visible in South Africa is an object of great interest to the soldiers. A private in the Buffs, writing from Balmoral, says, 'When I first saw it I thought it was a veldt fire with a rocket ascending from it. A star of exceptional brilliancy was close to it.'
The Pembrokeshire Herald, 31.5.1901
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Elmarie, Moranthorse1, Smethwick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.601 seconds