Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

A Liverpool man with the Boers 1 year 8 months ago #85131

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2300
Is it possible to identify this Liverpudlian?

...."Mr. W. H. Tregilgas, a well-known Conservative worker in St. Anne's Ward, Liverpool, has received a letter from his brother, who is a trooper in the 14th Hussars, at Frere Camp. It is dated 18th January:— "We are working on the Zulu border for spies. Our patrol captured one last Saturday night. We were about eight miles from camp on outpost duty when one of our pickets saw a mounted man looking in the direction of our camp. Four of us were sent out to capture him if possible. We had a chase and caught and brought him back to camp a prisoner. He turned out to be a Liverpool man from Burlington-street, and he said there were plenty more like himself helping the Boers. He was sent on to Simons Bay." "
The Southport Visiter, Tuesday 13th February 1900

As for the writer, Tregilgas, of the 14th Hussars, I found his brother, William Henry, born 1863. He had three younger brothers - James Coole Tregilgas, born 1867; Samuel Graves Tregilgas, born 1873; and Alfred Ernest Tregilgas, born 1875.

Burlington Street is to the north of Liverpool city centre, in the Vauxhall district.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A Liverpool man with the Boers 1 year 8 months ago #85132

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 820
FMP - Militia Attestation Papers for Alfred Tregilas - born Liverpool, attested 4 March 1893, aged 17 years 11 months. Appears to have attested for service in militia attached to Liverpool Regiment but no service records given beyond his attestation date ans service number of 2886.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

A Liverpool man with the Boers 1 year 8 months ago #85137

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2300
Thanks, Smethwick. Personally, I think Tregilgas is the correct spelling (although the surname Tregilas did exist), and that Albert Edward Tregilgas is likely to have been the man in the 14th Hussars. I couldn't find a death record for him up to 1957, perhaps he emigrated from Britain.

A Liverpool man with the Boers 1 year 8 months ago #85140

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Do you think Albert Edward Tregilgas could have emigrated over the border to Flintshire?

Tregilgas is proving difficult to find reference 14th Hussars
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

A Liverpool man with the Boers 1 year 8 months ago #85141

• Smethwick
Berenice - apologies my typing mistake and the service records I found are for Arthur Tregilgas with two "g"s. The Tregilgas Family have undergone fair scrutiny in Public Family Trees on Ancestry and they have not been able to find Arthur Ernest on the 1901 Census which is an indicator he was out the country at the time. They all reckon he died in Liverpool in 1906. Will examine what the Public Family Trees have to say about the other brothers.

A Liverpool man with the Boers 1 year 8 months ago #85142

• Smethwick
The brothers Tregilgas (there are minor - one year - discrepancies regarding year of birth) :

George James 1853-1853
Thomas Edward 1859-1941 In UK at time of 1901 Census
George John 1861-1917 In UK at time of 1901 Census
William Henry 1863-1910 In UK at time of 1901 Census
James Coole 1867-1890
Samuel Graves 1874-1874
Alfred Ernest 1875-1906 Not findable on 1901 Census

Not 100% proof but the above does suggest Alfred Ernest was the brother in the 14th Hussars who wrote the letter to William Henry

The late introduction of Albert Edward initially puzzled me but it would appear he was the son of William Henry with dates 1898-1962

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.423 seconds