Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Official number of soldiers who returned to the UK to die (22/4/1901) 1 year 9 months ago #84485

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2300
...."A Parliamentary return has been issued stating the number of sailors and soldiers, giving their names and description, who have been invalided home since the commencement of the South African campaign and have died from wounds or disease. As regards the Navy, only one leading seaman is returned as having died from tubercle of the lungs due to exposure during the siege of Ladysmith. The number of soldiers who have died is returned at 293, and of those the deaths of 23 were directly due to wounds received during the course of the war. The deaths resulting from enteric fever amounted to 77."
The Leigh Chronicle, Friday 7th June 1901

Research shows that the Return was debated in the House of Lords, on Monday, 22nd April, 1901.
hansard.parliament.uk/Lords/1901-04-22/d...08-b731-61c8243bee64

The text of the Return can be downloaded, which I've done, but all I get is "Return stating the number of sailors and soldiers, giving their names and description, who have been invalided home since the commencement of the South African Campaign, and have died from wounds or diseases; laid before the House (pursuant to Address of the 21st of February last), and to be printed. (No. 30.)"

Anyone know how the text of the Return can be accessed?

294 names of soldiers and one sailor who died in the UK after being invalided home - there'd be plenty of research to be done there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1, Trev

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Official number of soldiers who returned to the UK to die (22/4/1901) 1 year 9 months ago #84492

• Trev
  • Thank you received: 204
Hi Berenice,
I was able to have a play around using some key words from your post and was able to locate from Hansard of the Lords Sitting of 22 April 1901 an older period format similar to the information that you have found. See below link and description -

What I have noted from the description is on the last line which states, 'to be printed. (No. 30.)'. I'm thinking along the lines that this might be similar to the British Parliamentary Reports (see example below) which may have been printed that has the information that you are seeking which outlines those soldiers who have died from wounds or diseases. If this is the case, then there would have to be a second volume when you consider the earlier date which is being discussed. I hope that I am on the right track or if someone actually has further knowledge or a copy of this periodical it would be much appreciated.

Trev
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Official number of soldiers who returned to the UK to die (22/4/1901) 1 year 9 months ago #84498

• BereniceUK
This is so frustrating! I've tried using Hansard's own search facility - "If you know the series, volume and column number, you can go directly to the relevant Hansard content using the form below"

hansard.parliament.uk/search/column?Hous...=92&ColumnNumber=878 (Series 4, Vol. 92, Column 878)

Just get the same sentence again. There are copies of various Hansard's up for sale on eBay, so there's nothing secret about the contents. Does anyone here know an M.P. or someone who works in Westminster?

Can't stop wondering if the list of names was updated in 1902.

Official number of soldiers who returned to the UK to die (22/4/1901) 1 year 9 months ago #84500

• BereniceUK
Found it! Series 4, vol. 92. column 877. But I can't see where a list of deceased invalided soldiers might be.
_____

The LORD CHANCELLOR acquainted the House that the following papers having been commanded to be presented to this House by His Majesty had been so presented on the following dates by delivery to the Clerk of the Parliaments, pursuant to order of the House of the 17th of February,

1896, viz.:—

1. Marriages, Births, and Deaths (England).—General Abstract for 1900. (March 30.)
2. South Africa—
I. Further correspondence relating to affairs in South Africa (in continuation of [Cd. 420], December, 1900).
II. Letter from Commandant Louis Botha to Lord Kitchener, dated 13th February, 1901. (April 2.)
3. Trade.—Annual statement of trade of United Kingdom with Foreign Countries and British Possessions, for 1900: Volume I. (April 3.)
4. Army.—Approximate estimate of expenditure under the Barracks Act of 1890 and Military Works Acts of 1897 and 1899. (April 11.)
5. Metropolitan Cattle Market.—Account of moneys received and paid by the Chamberlain of the City of London in relation to the Metropolitan Cattle Market for the year 1900; also an account of extraordinary works executed other than general repairs for the same period. (April 11.)
6. Explosives—
I. (Explosion at Chilworth Gunpowder Factory).—Report to the Secretary of State for the Home Department by Major A. Cooper-Key, His Majesty's Inspector of Explosives, on the circumstances attending an explosion which occurred in the corning house at the factory of the Chilworth Gunpowder Company, Limited, at Chilworth, Surrey, on the 12th February, 1901.
II. (Explosion at Nobel's Explosives Factory at Ardeer, Ayrshire).—Report to the Secretary of State for the Home Department by Captain M. B. Lloyd, His Majesty's Inspector of Explosives, on the circumstances attending an explosion which occurred in one of the dynamite cartridge huts at the factory of Nobel's Explosives Company, Limited, at Ardeer, near Stevenston, in the county of Ayr, on the 29th January, 1901. (April 11.)
7. Trade Reports—
I. Annual Series:
No. 2568. Germany (German East Africa).
No. 2569. France (La Rochelle and District). (April 11.)
No. 2570. United States (Baltimore and District). (April 13.)
No. 2571. United States (Texas).
No. 2572. United States (Charleston). (April 17.)
No. 2573. Greece (The Morea, Acarnania, Etolia).
No. 2574. Germany (Pomerania).
No. 2575. Trade of Switzerland for 1900. (April 18.)
II. Miscellaneous Series:
No. 549. German Colonial Estimates for 1901.
No. 550. Zinc Industry in United States. (April 13.)
8. Army and Militia.—Annual Report of the Inspector-General of Recruiting for 1900. (April 17.)
9. Egypt, No. 1. (1901).—Reports by His Majesty's Agent and Consul-General on the Finances, Administration, and condition of Egypt and the Soudan in 1900. (April 18.)
10. China. No. 3. (1901).—Further correspondence respecting events at Peking (in continuation of China, No. 4 (1900)). (April 18.)
11. Treaty Series, No. 4. (1901).—Agreement additional to the Convention between the United Kingdom and France, of 8th December, 1882, relative to the exchange of Telegraph Money Orders between the, two countries; signed at Paris 10th October, 1900 (ratifications exchanged at Paris 16th March, 1901). (April 19.)
12. Agrarian Offences (Provinces) (Ireland).—Return for the Year ended 31st December, 1900. (April 19.)
13. Agricultural Statistics (Ireland).—
I. Agricultural Statistics of Ireland, with detailed Report for 1900.
II. Return of prices of Agricultural Products and Live Stock for 1900. (April 19.)
14. Loan Fund Board (Ireland).—Sixty-third Annual Report for 1900. (April 19.)
15. Queensland.—The Parliament of the Commonwealth Elections Act and the Elections Acts, 1885 to 1898. Amendment Act of 1900. (April 20.)
16. Western Australia.—The Constitution Act Amendment Act, 1900, No. V. (April 20.)
17. Education (Scotland).—Minute of the Committee of Council on Education in Scotland, dated 19th April, 1901, amending the terms of Article 89 (b) of the Code of 1901. (April 20.)
The same were ordered to lie on the Table.

Official number of soldiers who returned to the UK to die (22/4/1901) 1 year 9 months ago #84505

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 820
This table appeared in The Monmouthshire County Observer & Advertiser of Saturday 12 October 1901. The way I read it, of 2,439 officers who had been invalided home only 6 (0.25%) had died and of 55,031 men who had been invalided home 417 (0.76%) had died. Paraphrasing the last sentence of the notes under the table - the vast majority of the men invalided home recovered and rejoined for duty. One could interpret the above percentages as showing officers received better medical treatment than the men.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK, Moranthorse1

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.619 seconds