Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

W. H. Dormer - Brabant's Horse or Bethune's Mounted Infantry? 1 year 10 months ago #83244

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
Twice this newspaper report says that his unit was Brabant's Horse, but the things he mentions in his letter point to it being Bethune's Mounted Infantry. Can anyone confirm that it was the latter, please?
LETTER FROM A TROOPER OF BRABANT'S HORSE.
The following letter is from Trooper W. H. Dormer, of Brabant's Horse, which has been received by his mother at Radnage:—"Dundee, May 25th.—Dear Mother,—I am sure you will be anxious to hear from me after seeing so many killed out of my squadron. We left Nqutu at 7 a.m. for Vryheid, 40 miles distant. All went well till we crossed the border into Transvaal. We off-saddled thinking to have lunch, but E Squadron was at once ordered to saddle up again. We left the other squadrons and left at the gallop. Our scouts, on account of the rough ground, could not keep in advance of the squadron as they ought to have done, and the result was when six miles from Vryheid we ran right into a commando of the enemy, who fired upon us. We were at once ordered to dismount, and while in the act of obeying this order, nearly all the horses were shot down by the enemy to prevent us escaping. They then, at a distance of 70 yards, poured volley after volley into us, dropping a man for nearly every shot. We had one maxim with us, but after firing three shots, the gunner was shot, and about six men in succession, as they took his place, including our Captain Goff, who tried to get to the gun, but was shot doing so; 73 men went into action, and within twenty minutes only seven of us were able to get away. My horse was luckily only wounded in the fetlock, being to a certain extent sheltered by a scrub and rock. I got away safe, bringing the ammunition horse with me. I believe 66 of us are hors de combat: but they made a splendid stand—did not think of running away. We retreated to Nqutu, making altogether the day's ride a good 73 miles. We are now in Dundee to recuperate, and we marched here from Greytown. We relieved all the towns on the line of march, including Pomeroy, the coal-fields, and Nqutu (Zululand). I will send on a sketch of the battle field by next mail."
South Bucks Free Press, Friday 29th June 1900

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

W. H. Dormer - Brabant's Horse or Bethune's Mounted Infantry? 1 year 10 months ago #83245

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Berenice
The Smith roll shows "782 Pte. William H. Dormer" from Oxfordshire, UK was a member of Bethune's M.I. I could not find him in Palmer - but Capt. W.E.G. Goff of 3DG (attached Bethune's M.I.) was KiA at Blood River/Vryheid on 20/5/00. Stirling comments that BMI lost heavily on 21st May 1900 (six miles South of Vryheid); about twenty nine killed and about thirty wounded.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

W. H. Dormer - Brabant's Horse or Bethune's Mounted Infantry? 1 year 10 months ago #83248

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
Thanks, IL. Just shows how inaccurate contemporary newspapers could be.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.333 seconds