Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Christmas Greetings / Kersgroete 2 years 3 months ago #80077

• Dave F
  • Dave F's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1165
Dear ABW Forum members,

I would like to take this opportunity to wish you all a safe and peaceful Christmas. 2021 has again, been a testing year for everyone.
Many thanks to all the contributors who have posted and provided answers and clarifications along with new subjects which have been most welcome and enjoyed. A big thank you to David, who has kept the site up and running throughout the year. Let's hope 2022 will get a little easier for us all.

Very best wishes,
   Geseënde Kersfees en ’n voorspoedige nuwe jaar”...

Dave.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, QSAMIKE, Elmarie, jim51, BereniceUK, Rob D, Moranthorse1, jancodk, Trev

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Christmas Greetings / Kersgroete 2 years 3 months ago #80079

• Rob D
  • Thank you received: 720
Thank-you, Dave.
At the foot of Spioenkop in a little African village, a very old lady has lived all her days. Her Dad was employed by the British in the South African War. She leads a church group, mixing Christian and some Zulu traditions. Like all of us enthusiasts of this forum, she understands the influence of our ancestors (amadlozi) on our lives today. She believes the poor fortunes of her village arise from troubles in their history. She made, in 1970, two banners; both are still hanging in her little church. Both ask the Almighty for "Peace - At Last" (or "Forgiveness - Finally").The brown one, she told me, is to ask for peace between King Cetewayo kaMpande and Queen Victoria. The pink one is, she said, to ask for peace between Louis Botha and Queen Victoria.
She hopes that, once there is forgiveness among our ancestors, there might be prosperity today.
Rob
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, QSAMIKE, Elmarie, jim51, BereniceUK, azyeoman, Dave F, Moranthorse1, jancodk, Trev

Christmas Greetings / Kersgroete 2 years 3 months ago #80248

• Dave F
  • Dave F's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1165
Dear Forum Members

Little did I know when I first posted the above seasons greetings to everyone, that the testing times of 2021 were going to get worse.
I wish you all a very safe and peaceful Christmas and hopefully a better New Year.

Dave
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: azyeoman, Moranthorse1, Trev

Christmas Greetings / Kersgroete 2 years 3 months ago #80269

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2294
Hoping you all have a very happy Christmas, and that everyone stays safe and well.

....Trooper J. Moore writes to his parents as follows: — "Koekomoer, Transvaal, December 23, 1901. . . . . . I rejoined my old squadron (B.) a fortnight ago at Klerksdorp, and accompanied them out here, where we are garrisoned, guarding the railway line and bridge. There are no buildings outside the station, but the small town of Zuffkesdorn is only four miles away, and there are some large gold mines there. Koekomoer is eight miles from Klerksdorp . . . . . We will have Christmas with us in two days time, and I presume that our Xmas fare will consist of a piece of an old working bullock, or goat, and biscuits. This is the sort of stuff they are feeding us on, and they are scanty rations at that. Lord Kitchener has prevented any beer being sent through, and is, I believe, going to stop the men's supply of rum, not that the rum would hurt anybody, as it passes through too many hands, and is left out in the rain too often to be dangerous. . . . . . I will let this scribble rest as it is until after Christmas, and I will then give you an account of my first Xmas on active service in South Africa. There is not the slightest chance of the Boers firing plum pudding at us on Christmas Day. How I would enjoy some now! . . . . . Boxing Day, 1900. Christmas Day passed very quietly. I was not on duty during the day, so had a good sleep. We were told that we were to get one pint of beer, 2ozs cheese, an extra 4ozs jam, and a ration of plum pudding, but the only extras we received were about 5ozs pudding and 4ozs jam. Of course, to-day our rations are the usual thing — old bullock and biscuit. Christmas night I spent on outpost duty on the veldt. At 10 o'clock last night the Boers made an attack on the Vaal River outpost, but were driven back, although we do not know with what loss."
The Manilla Express [N.S.W.] , Saturday 23rd February 1901
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, QSAMIKE, Rob D, Dave F, Moranthorse1, Trev

Christmas Greetings / Kersgroete 2 years 3 months ago #80303

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2294
Bumping this up.

Christmas Greetings / Kersgroete 2 years 3 months ago #80315

• Trev
  • Thank you received: 204
Season's Greetings from Australia and a Merry Christmas and a safe New Year for all. The countdown is on and unfortunately I'm planning for quieter Christmas celebrations with family members than previous years, but I would like to wish all forum members and guests a safe and enjoyable period with family and loved one's.

The joy of eating pudding from an early age when visiting my Grandparents at Christmas time is a pastime that I still enjoy today. Unfortunately, unlike my Grandmother who had the tendency to soak both pudding and Christmas cake in Bundaberg Rum for the benefit of Grandad, I'll enjoy it this year in a more traditional way, non-alcoholic.

I would like to share this image courtesy of the Australian War Memorial (AWM) of a Christmas Plum Pudding manufactured by Crosse & Blackwell of London, England. The history pertaining to this pudding suggests that it was given to 106 Trooper Thomas Ashford of 2nd New South Wales Mounted Rifles during his service in South Africa for Christmas.

Wow....just did a quick search to find that Crosse and Blackwell are still in operation. Looks as though they no longer manufacture Plum Puddings.
Trev
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, BereniceUK, Dave F, Moranthorse1

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.326 seconds