Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Three brothers in the R.F.A. - Toronto/Suffolk 2 years 3 months ago #80039

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
...."Ex-Sergt.-Major Barkham, R.A., of Beccles [Suffolk], has three sons on active service. One is in the 62nd Battery, R.F.A., with Lord Methuen's force at Modder River, and writes home that he can supply his brothers with a dozen ponies and saddles captured from the Boers; the other two sailed from Liverpool a few days ago in the s.s. Cymric, with the 82nd Battery, R.F.A. Ex-Sergt.-Major Barkham has just received the Canadian medal for services rendered in the expedition of 1866 and 1870."
The Ipswich Journal, Saturday 13th January 1900

The three brothers were as follows -

Charles Henry Barkham, Royal Field Artillery. He was born in Toronto, 1868-69, and died at Beccles, 21st October 1952.

26299 Acting Bombardier Edwin George Barkham, 82nd Battery, Royal Field Artillery. Born Beccles, 21st April 1882. He reached the rank of Captain during the Great War, and later lived in Redhill, Surrey. www.spink.com/lot/19003000181

32207 Battery Sergeant Major Frederick William Barkham, 82nd Battery, Royal Field Artillery. I couldn't find a birth registration for Frederick William in England and Wales, so was he born in Toronto?

Their father was Charles Henry Barkham, senior, born 1842, died 1918. Death recorded as Charles Barkham, in Chelsea, 1918. No birth record in England and Wales for a Charles Henry Barkham, 1840-1844, so perhaps his name just simply Charles Barkham. Two possible Charles Barkhams - one born in Mildenhall, Suffolk, 1841, and another in the Swaffham, Norfolk, area, also 1841.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Three brothers in the R.F.A. - Toronto/Suffolk 2 years 3 months ago #80040

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1165
Quote:-
32207 Battery Sergeant Major Frederick William Barkham, 82nd Battery, Royal Field Artillery. I couldn't find a birth registration for Frederick William in England and Wales, so was he was born in Toronto?

Hi Berenice
FW Barkham was born in London Ontario Canada West. 17th February 1866, he was baptised on the 25th March (source :- Registry of Baptisms 41st Brigade Royal Artillery)
He joined the RFA Artillery on April 19th 1880 at Sheffield aged 14 and a half.
His original army number was 3945, during the Boer War his number was 32207.
Frederick was mentioned in Lord Roberts dispatches and was a DCM winner during his time in South Africa. His military papers state he was entitled to 9 clasps for his QSA, however at present I have only managed to find 7. Will keep looking.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Three brothers in the R.F.A. - Toronto/Suffolk 2 years 3 months ago #80041

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Now that would be a fantastic pair if reunited...... Canada General Service and QSA...... Would love that one for my collection......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Three brothers in the R.F.A. - Toronto/Suffolk 2 years 3 months ago #80042

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
It was the father that received the Canadian medal, although if somebody managed to put together the family's entire set of medals, that would look impressive.

Three brothers in the R.F.A. - Toronto/Suffolk 2 years 3 months ago #80043

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
OOOppppssss...... Did not have my morning coffee yet...... Miss read...... Thanks Berenice.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.377 seconds